Weekend Shifts

I’ve recently passed my Class 1 and am looking for weekend work only with any companies based in the North West/Manchester area. I run my own (non driving related) business during the week but would like to work weekends, even one day a week would be fine.
I don’t really want to sign up with agencies and be working at different depots most weekends. Ideally I would just like to work with one firm that needs cover, as I have heard that a lot of drivers are maxing their hours and cannot work weekends when needed.
If anybody knows of any firms that are looking for somebody to work a Saturday or Sunday or both on a regular basis, I would appreciate a heads up

NorthernApe:
I don’t really want to sign up with agencies and be working at different depots most weekends.

The agencies, no hear me out.

Tell them consicely what you’re looking for and that they will be wasting their time offering you shifts doing anything else. Now you can find out what’s out there, who’s looking for weekend cover and who’s worth doing the graft for. Then at a later date, you could lean over the counter and ask if it’s possible to do this without the agency.
There are very few firms out there offering occaisional shifts under PAYE terms. The current driver situation might have changed that though.

Good luck.

If you work mon to fri then you can only do one day driving every other weekend due to weekly rest laws

NorthernApe:
I’ve recently passed my Class 1 and am looking for weekend work only with any companies based in the North West/Manchester area. I run my own (non driving related) business during the week but would like to work weekends, even one day a week would be fine.
I don’t really want to sign up with agencies and be working at different depots most weekends. Ideally I would just like to work with one firm that needs cover, as I have heard that a lot of drivers are maxing their hours and cannot work weekends when needed.
If anybody knows of any firms that are looking for somebody to work a Saturday or Sunday or both on a regular basis, I would appreciate a heads up

I get sent to a different place every day , but I’ve been to 99% of them before , there’s only so many different companies in a area
I only do 3 days so I’m not bothered , the weeks over before it starts , I day , they could send me where they want subject to distance
Though if they mentioned week ends they’d be looking for another driver , not a chance

ROG:
If you work mon to fri then you can only do one day driving every other weekend due to weekly rest laws

As I mentioned in the OP my Mon to Fri work for my business is non driving related (all computer and printer work)
It also only adds up to about 25 hours total

NorthernApe:

ROG:

As I mentioned in the OP my Mon to Fri work for my business is non driving related (all computer and printer work)

But you need an uninterrupted 45 hrs away from doing “other work”. Every single week. (Or make up the time if it’s less, but at least 24 hrs)

That is easily achievable as it’s my own business and only needs about 25 hours a week dedicated to it.
Anyway as mentioned in the OP, if anybody knows of any firms in my vicinity that may need weekend cover please let me know
Thanks in advance

NorthernApe:
That is easily achievable as it’s my own business and only needs about 25 hours a week dedicated to it.
Anyway as mentioned in the OP, if anybody knows of any firms in my vicinity that may need weekend cover please let me know
Thanks in advance

What are the 25 hours ?
If 5 hours every day then that could limit your weekend work

If you post your mon to fri hours then we can advise with more accuracy

NorthernApe:

ROG:

Doesn’t matter. The daily and weekly rest requirements for the drivers hours are a rest from ALL work, not just driving related. That means you can’t do an IT job from 9-5 on Friday then jump in a lorry at 7pm on Friday night and bang in a shift. It also means you can’t work in say IT more than a few days a week regardless of the hours if you want to drive on a weekend and even if you’re only working a few days in the IT job you couldn’t do Mon, Wed, Fri, you’d have to have two consecutive days off of no work at all, driving or otherwise. To not do that is in breach of drivers hours regs.

Admittedly your chances of getting caught at the roadside are nil but you can be guaranteed that if you were in an accident, especially one where someone was killed or seriously injured, then they’d go through your life with a fine toothcombe and find you’d been breaking the law in regards to weekly rest and shaft you for it.

He has already said that 45 continuous hours off per week is not a problem.
I wish this place was as forthcoming with ideas about how to get a job as it is with telling you you can’t do things (admittedly sometimes quite rightly)

I worked weekends driving a supermarket wagon when I partly retired but our stores are open seven days a week so they needed weekend coverage. Doesn’t hurt to call them and find out. :slight_smile:

stu675:
He has already said that 45 continuous hours off per week is not a problem.
I wish this place was as forthcoming with ideas about how to get a job as it is with telling you you can’t do things (admittedly sometimes quite rightly)

Fair point; but as you admit, sometimes it’s for a very good reason.

It’s often guys like the OP who are new to the game who are least clued up through no fault of their own. It’s also why such info as this really should be a compulsory part of the initial drivers hours bit of DCPC, rather than having them do stuff like double manning and ferries. The likes of that should form a secondary drivers hours course, which employers can use if needed.

ROG:

He can if he has his back story prepared for if he ever gets stopped by the VOSA.

Like, if he says “I didn’t work yesterday or the day before”, what are they going to do, seize his computer to check? :wink:

I’ve been away for a few days so apologies for not replying.
Thanks for the replies and appreciate that everybody is trying to help, but the legal hours are not a problem. My business is very flexible and I can run it around any weekend work.
I have been driving smaller wagons for long enough to understand the weekly limits.
Anyway back to my original request, if anyone knows of any Class 1 weekend shifts in the North West/Manchester area please let me know.

Don’t the golden boys get all the weekend work? With it being a better rate? They arn’t going to bother giving the top rate to every tom, ■■■■ and harry who wants it who won’t do a shift for them with the sewage water truck on monday morning.

Harry Monk:

ROG:

He can if he has his back story prepared for if he ever gets stopped by the VOSA.

Like, if he says “I didn’t work yesterday or the day before”, what are they going to do, seize his computer to check? :wink:

No, they’ll just seize the truck till you go home and fetch back a peice of paper with all your work times for the last week or two on it. Thats what they did to me when I said “I’ve only driven a truck one day this week”.

JeffA:
Don’t the golden boys get all the weekend work? With it being a better rate? They arn’t going to bother giving the top rate to every tom, ■■■■ and harry who wants it who won’t do a shift for them with the sewage water truck on monday morning.

I thought all the golden boys were earning that much during the week they don’t want or need to work weekends anymore :laughing:

Harry Monk:

ROG:

If he has a serious accident…then yes it is highly likely that there would be further investigations possibly involving seizing of computers and checking mobile phone records etc, then if he hasn’t abided by the weekly rest requirements he will be in BIG trouble.

shullbit:
If he has a serious accident…then yes it is highly likely that there would be further investigations possibly involving seizing of computers and checking mobile phone records etc, then if he hasn’t abided by the weekly rest requirements he will be in BIG trouble.

I gather you didn’t read my 1.39pm post regarding my knowledge of weekly limits

NorthernApe:

JeffA:

I thought all the golden boys were earning that much during the week they don’t want or need to work weekends anymore :laughing:

You really are out of touch, this poxy job has you rostered in most weekends as a regular !!

To answer your question NO