You just cant help some people

I was talking to a driver at an RDC and he was complaining about the job and how badly drivers get treated and so on.He then went to say he was only on £10.50 for class one work.He told me you cant get any more in Lincolnshire.Are things really that bad up that way.I suggested he look for a 4 on 4 off with nights out goldstar,maritime or similar but he had all these reasons why he wouldnt work for this or that company no matter who I suggested…
Have you came across drivers like this?

All the time.

Ken.

Worse still, are the drivers who say not to work for xyz when you say you’re thinking of moving on.

A glass half empty type? their attitude often prevents them from moving on to better.

However of the companies you mentioned any that operate driver facing cameras should be off any self respecting driver’s radar, no matter how an operator might be desperately trying to reinvent themselves to get away from say a well deserved reputation for bullying.

Also you don’t know that chaps working history, been around long enough he’ll have seen temporary wage spikes and the equally rapid diminishing prospects that can follow not long after when reality bites, so staying where he’s safe, takes all sorts.

Two agency rates…

For class 1 in Lincs.

‘Minimum day rate for Class 1 £13.53 OT after 8 hour @ £15.16.’

As well as

Pay Rates
PAYE including holiday & extra for NI deduction - £20 - £22.50 per hour days, £21 - £23.50 nights and up to £30 per hour at weekends
PAYE Standard rates (accrue holiday for when you take leave) - £17 - £18 on days, £18 to £19 per hour nights and up to £25 per hour at weekends

If matey boy is grafting for £10.50 ph he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Happening here in York also, a company (ultimately TEF transport) is advertising for class 1 trampers for £9.67 per hour, there is more than 1 paying that rate that I know of, and then you have DPD via agency offering £16, Nestle about the same, 1 of the breweries in Tadcaster offering £18, then Sherburn in Elmet offering anything from £14-£16.

weeto:
Happening here in York also, a company (ultimately TEF transport) is advertising for class 1 trampers for £9.67 per hour, there is more than 1 paying that rate that I know of, and then you have DPD via agency offering £16, Nestle about the same, 1 of the breweries in Tadcaster offering £18, then Sherburn in Elmet offering anything from £14-£16.

Then people know what to do.

Ken.

What about the geezers who moan like buggery about how bad the company they work for is, then slip in the conversation they’ve been there 20yrs :smiley:

They’re lost causes.

If after recent developments in terms of pay they’ve either

• not had a pay rise.
  • left for more money
  • left for more money but less hours equating to the same as they did earn for less work

They deserve what they get and they justify these tinpot companies so i don’t listen listen them.

Depends how old he is , once you get in your 50,s / 60,s then money isn’t a priority as you should have every thing you need , mortgage paid off , no debts etc , so I know he’s moaning but maybe he’s happy in the job he has , I’ve plenty of mates who are quite happy plodding through to retirement
As for that rate , I did 5 nights/ mon - fri , 28k , only stayed 2 weeks so maybe that was a tenner a hour , now get £20-£25 ph mon- wed days , but I know loads who wouldn’t want London , a different place most days , long days etc
I live in Lincolnshire

Quinny:
Then people know what to do.

Ken.

They won’t do though they’ll just stay there whining and moaning because they get some kind of perverse satisfaction from playing the victim.

Some people just don’t like change…they like routine and familiarity

I think we all know people who have been at the same company for 20+ years and yet are constantly ■■■■■■■■ about it and how they are going to leave. They are called lifers. :stuck_out_tongue:

mickymidas:
What about the geezers who moan like buggery about how bad the company they work for is, then slip in the conversation they’ve been there 20yrs :smiley:

Double that time for one in my previous job.

Forty bloody years and I don’t think he’s ever had a good day at work. Then again he’s the type who would moan about not having anything to moan about.

We used to have Xmas do’s, free bar before the meal and tickets for drinks afterwards; first thing matey used to do was count the tickets and moan that there were a few less than last year. Yet at the end of the night, he’d always got a few tickets left.

Few years ago, this bloke and one of the sales managers who’d been there about the same length of time got long service awards. Top brass in attendance, buffet and bar laid on for all the staff at a local hotel; when it came to the awards, there were the usual cries of “Speech!” after the presentation. The sales manager was gracious and charming as you’d expect, thanked not only the top brass but also the whole room for their support over the years and sat down to a round of applause. Matey had to be prodded by his highly embarrassed missus to say a simple thank you; it was embarrassing. If you really hate a job that much, why do it for so long?