So whats the answer

obv theres a shortage of drivers. so what do you think the answer is?
wish i knew

i reckon better pay and shorten the hours we can work
feel free to add your own thoughts

More drivers??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

obv theres a shortage of drivers. so what do you think the answer is?

You might want to read the other 47 threads about this that have been posted this week :wink:

If you cannot be bothered -

More pay.

Shorter hours.

More paid holidays

No refusal to unload if you miss your slot you take the next free one.

The use of any toilet you wish to use and they must be spotless.

Free parking everywhere.

That’ll do for now and covers a lot of points made in the 47 threads i mentioned earlier.

I have now removed the tongue from my cheek :wink:

Leave it to market forces. If you have to pay £20.00 per hour to get a bum on the seat pay it and stop whingeing.

Well a small start could be made by scrapping, or at-least postponing, the DCPC periodic training (like that’s likely to happen :smiley: ) and telling the DVLA to prioritise the application and renewal of HGV licenses.
It’s not much good creating more tests if new drivers, and not so new drivers, have to wait a couple of months for the return of a HGV licence.

I’m not suggesting this will solve the short term problem but it seems like a good place to start.

Dump the 15 hour spread stuff for a start, along with 9 hours drive time “it is 2021” sounds bad but max working day needs to be no more than 10 hours .stop all these tiddly little cards that we need to go along with the licence .Nights out must be paid all the time the driver is with the truck " the person is at work when he is in the truck "guarding it and unable to do things that could be done at home…ie hanky panky, diy, lay in a bath …that might help a little…NO loss of income

Remove road fuel duty and allow LHV’s.
Thereby making the job a more attractive, productive, profitable industry with a viable future.
As opposed to a crippled local delivery service with both arms tied behind its back.

It’s very simple , reinstate f.o.m .

so whats the answer

Pay for the unemployed to have lessons i bet they would be queuing up to take them, well maybe the ones that haven’t read this forum would :wink:

alamcculloch:
Leave it to market forces. If you have to pay £20.00 per hour to get a bum on the seat pay it and stop whingeing.

Market forces are only allowed when it’s executives approving other executive pay. If it’s at the other end - mass migration is the answer.

Bin Man:

so whats the answer

Pay for the unemployed to have lessons i bet they would be queuing up to take them, well maybe the ones that haven’t read this forum would :wink:

That would cost money. And what must never go near the unemployed - is money.

I partly.reckon minimum wage plays a part.
As every year the goverment ups the minimum wage.
So every year office staff warehouse staff get a pay rise where as years ago pay raises would.go to drivers .
And now mimmum wage is almost a par with driving jobs.
Take away the long hours we work. What would you prefer sat in an office /work in warehouse set start finish times more social hours etc.
Or drive a truck for the same.houlry pay.

And bosses know.they can get away with paying mimmum wage . Years ago they paid decent to attract people.

edd1974:
I partly.reckon minimum wage plays a part.
As every year the goverment ups the minimum wage.
So every year office staff warehouse staff get a pay rise where as years ago pay raises would.go to drivers .
And now mimmum wage is almost a par with driving jobs.
Take away the long hours we work. What would you prefer sat in an office /work in warehouse set start finish times more social hours etc.
Or drive a truck for the same.houlry pay.

And bosses know.they can get away with paying mimmum wage . Years ago they paid decent to attract people.

No, if it was a choice between minimum wage or paying 50 pence an hour they would still be paying 50 pence an hour. I remember in the 90s they used to pay whatever they felt like - £1.50 an hour for 10 hours in macdonalds.

Driving jobs have been minimum wage since at least 2007.

Whenever this sort of question comes up, there’s always a handful of people who say ‘make unemployed people do it’. This is such a stupid and ignorant attitude to have that it’s almost impressive.
Firstly, unemployed people are still people, you can’t ‘make’ them do anything. They might have legitimate reasons for being unemployed, like being a carer for a sick or disabled person, childcare issues, medical issues etc.
Secondly, not everyone will have the necessary skills to drive a lorry, regardless of how much training they get. Plenty of people on here are constantly complaining about the poor standards of drivers, is forcing people who either might not be suitable, or who have no interest I doing the job well, really going to improve this?
Thirdly, consider the employers who would be expected to take these people on. Unemployed person with a criminal record for for theft, burglary etc, would you employ them as a delivery driver for example?
Fourthly, why are driving vacancies so special? I thought the unemployed were already being told to fill all the vacancies in the retail, farming, production, care and hospitality sectors?
And finally, think about the massive self-own of a driver to make that statement. What you’re basically saying is ‘my industry is so crap that people should be forced into it. There’s no skill to mu job so they won’t have any problems doing it’.
Our industry has an image problem. In some ways it is justified, long hours, poor facilities etc, in some ways it isn’t, drivers all being stupid, lazy idiots for example. You can’t force people to do this job, you have to attract them. Sorting wages out will have some effect, but it still won’t attract younger people or women into the industry. Working conditions, facilities, attitudes etc are all largely stuck in the dark ages, and until these issues are fixed you will always have a shortage of drivers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just bring back 7.5 ton for car licence holders, then give government subsidized training and exams for career progression to class 1.

Everyone hates you, you are in their way when they go to work, you are in the way when people go on holiday, you are in their way when they drive Tarquin and Priscilla to separate schools in the 4x4. they even complain when they have to wait at a fuel station while the tanker driver unloads. Its your fault there are no Tampax on the shelves, its your fault that the shop tills are unmanned while the staff unload cages from your tail lift.

RDC staff are programmed to 5 pallets per hour. Motorway Services would rather have 3 coaches than 30 lorries.

The public complain about the bin lorry in the street while they remove their rubbish from their home,

So what’s the answer?

Terry Cooksey:
Whenever this sort of question comes up, there’s always a handful of people who say ‘make unemployed people do it’. This is such a stupid and ignorant attitude to have that it’s almost impressive.

FFS before you call people ignorant and post your little rant why don’t you take the time to read all the posts properly no one said MAKE the unemployed take lessons my post is below where does it say MAKE?

As i said i was unaware the unemployed didn’t get the opportunity to take lessons unless they pay for them.

lewn777:
Just bring back 7.5 ton for car licence holders, then give government subsidized training and exams for career progression to class 1.

A lot of olds can still drive 7.5t on a car licence as long as they have DCPC that’s how i started in the job i am doing now.

dozy:
It’s very simple , reinstate f.o.m .

Personally I’d sooner see wages increase to a level where there was enough supply to meet demand at western European wage levels. In any event virtually every EE driver who left was legally entitled to stay so it’s not a freedom of movement issue.

Harry Monk:
virtually every EE driver who left was legally entitled to stay so it’s not a freedom of movement issue.

Maybe Dozy should apply to drive a dustcart or a hiab wagon to leave a better job opportunity for any EE’s looking for something better and before any more of them decide to walk away.