Class 1 removed from licence

I sent in my licence in to the DVLA to have the photo id updated (done every 10 years) & I’ve received my licence back but it now doesn’t have my HGV Class 1 (CE) entitlement on it which I’ve had for over 20 years!

I have tried ringing them on the two numbers which are listed on their site (0300 790 6809 & 0300 790 6801), The first number is just a continuous tone & the second one says to go to their website then rings off. Tried website but the various topics listed don’t cover my situation, so have sent emails instead but no reply.

Does this mean that if I drive I am in contravention of my licence? I’m 60 years old & self employed & also need to update my drivers CPC & my medical but without the HGV entitlement this is now on hold.

Has this happened to any other drivers & if so how did you sort it?

Cheers

It will only be reinstated if/when to provide an up to date medical.The ‘entitlement’ to the category stays but the category on the licence is conditional on providing them with the medical.

Give this a try viewdrivingrecord.service.g … 1624526477
Groups sometimes vanish from the photocard part, my c1 has vanished twice but still been on line

Richie

Are you sure you weren’t due a medical at the same time ?

Once you hit 45 you need a medical every 5 years. Did you do you medical when you hit 60? If not your HGV entitlement has probably become void until you do. That would be my guess.

Maybe you put an x in the wrong box. Good luck getting it sorted before you retire

Thanks for the gen.

I checked on the link & it states: ‘You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer over 750kg), with no more than 8 passengers and a driver. The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg’

My CPC ran out in 2017. In 2016 I stopped driving in order to help look after my terminally ill son. He passed in 2019 so I decided in early 2020 to get back driving but with the pandemic wasn’t able to get drivers cpc or medical booked.

Does this mean that if I get my medical & the drivers cpc I will automatically get my class 1 back? Would hate to have to re-sit it all again…took my original in an erf with twin splitter :unamused:

Btw, on checking licence it states that I can drive an agricultural tractor…last one I drove was a David Brown 1200 back in 1978, don’t know if I could handle the new ones although apparently farmers are crying out for tractor drivers lol

penfold:
I’m 60 years old & self employed & also need to update my drivers CPC & my medical but without the HGV entitlement this is now on hold.

If you don’t have a valid medical then you don’t have HGV entitlement. So if you were due to have your medical by your 60th birthday and you haven’t then your HGV has expired so when you send in your licence it will be returned without Cat C, CE, D etc.

If you get your medical and send your licence off it will come back HOWEVER YOU MUST NOT DRIVE LORRIES UNTIL YOU DO. You cannot use Section 88 to do it whilst the paperwork is at DVLA because your entitlement has already expired. Currently there’s a long wait of several weeks or more before drivers are getting licences returned so don’t expect it back much before the end of November. Don’t need to do the DCPC to get your entitlement back but you will need it once you’ve got the entitlement back.

You’ve said you don’t have your C+E entitlement, but do you still have your C entitlement?

Its important that every driver has a copy of their DL, front and back, before sending it off to DVLA. I’ve met too many drivers who, like you, have had entitlements vanish. DVLA will probably say it’s up to you to prove you ever had the entitlement in the first place.

Does your employer have a photocopy of your licence? If so a copy of that could qualify as proof.

No C entitlement has gone as well

I’m self employed & used to get work on a hourly or job rate

Zac_A:
You’ve said you don’t have your C+E entitlement, but do you still have your C entitlement?

Its important that every driver has a copy of their DL, front and back, before sending it off to DVLA. I’ve met too many drivers who, like you, have had entitlements vanish. DVLA will probably say it’s up to you to prove you ever had the entitlement in the first place.

Does your employer have a photocopy of your licence? If so a copy of that could qualify as proof.

Never send your licence, just say you have lost it or need it for training, then if your new one comes with missing entitlements you can ‘‘find’’ your old one as proof.

penfold:
I sent in my licence in to the DVLA to have the photo id updated (done every 10 years) & I’ve received my licence back but it now doesn’t have my HGV Class 1 (CE) entitlement on it which I’ve had for over 20 years!

I have tried ringing them on the two numbers which are listed on their site (0300 790 6809 & 0300 790 6801), The first number is just a continuous tone & the second one says to go to their website then rings off. Tried website but the various topics listed don’t cover my situation, so have sent emails instead but no reply.

Does this mean that if I drive I am in contravention of my licence? I’m 60 years old & self employed & also need to update my drivers CPC & my medical but without the HGV entitlement this is now on hold.

Cheers

No, what’s happened is since you’re not using it , DVLA have given your cat C&E to some bus driver. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Condolences for the loss of your son pal

Thanks mate

penfold:
Does this mean that if I get my medical & the drivers cpc I will automatically get my class 1 back?

Pass the medical you’ll get your categories on the licence back.
The categories aren’t the same thing as your ‘entitlement’.
Your ‘entitlement’ to the categories is based only on the driving test pass.
The categories as shown on the licence are then ‘conditional’ on passing the required medical after the required age threshold.
Then you can’t use the licence for work without the DCPC in all cases.

shullbit:
Never send your licence, just say you have lost it or need it for training, then if your new one comes with missing entitlements you can ‘‘find’’ your old one as proof.

Clever ^^^^ I like that. The simplest answers are usually the ones staring us in the face and we miss them.

the maoster:

shullbit:

Clever ^^^^ I like that. The simplest answers are usually the ones staring us in the face and we miss them.

They do make mistakes. But this is not a mistake, it’ll be the missing medical.

Don’t want to just repeat what’s been said which is bang on, just to say exactly the same thing happened to me. When I had to renew my photocard licence a couple of years ago it was returned without my C+E and C because I didn’t send a D4 medical form… I’d had enough. (driving hgv since '93)
I’ve recently had a medical and sent the D4 off with my licence and got it re-instated…the weird bit is I posted it on 16th August and got my licence back in the post on 2nd September, just 2 and 1/2 weeks :open_mouth:

Richl:
Don’t want to just repeat what’s been said which is bang on, just to say exactly the same thing happened to me. When I had to renew my photocard licence a couple of years ago it was returned without my C+E and C because I didn’t send a D4 medical form… I’d had enough. (driving hgv since '93)
I’ve recently had a medical and sent the D4 off with my licence and got it re-instated…the weird bit is I posted it on 16th August and got my licence back in the post on 2nd September, just 2 and 1/2 weeks :open_mouth:

I think that’s standard now, 2 weeks to get your medical processed.
Doesn’t mean they’ve cleared the backlog though. They might be treating that as a separate task?

penfold:

Cheers

There’s a page on the website where you go if you are in a spot of bother and you are a key worker.

Here’s the link…

https://contact.dvla.gov.uk/critical_worker/start

I’ve put in two enquiries of my own here, one for my yet-to-appear licence renewal (medical done in August FFS) and the other for my missing logbook for a car I’ve since got rid of - where I’m supposed to report change of ownership to DVLA “or be fined £1000” - and it asks for my new logbook number which never came back, since I only had that car a few months… I’ve only got the old former owner logbook, of which the number don’t work of course…

Let’s hope they get onto the case first thing tomorrow - but I guess I won’t be holding my breath. :frowning: