Is this why Police often ignore mobile phone use?

I’m not advocating what this guy does (I prefer Auditing Britain types), but it does suggest getting a conviction for using a mobile phone whilst driving is not as easy as the authorities would have us believe.
This person was not convicted, despite the recording being accepted as evidence, & the vehicle moving whilst she was still looking down at her phone. She did not even notice someone standing just over her shoulder through a wide-open window.

The key point is that there was not sufficient proof of interactive communication – the essential aspect of what you must be doing with the phone for a conviction.

The key evidence is at:
1 Min 53 to 2 Min 22
& repeated (zoomed in/slowed down) at:
3 Min 03 to 4 Min 24.

youtube.com/watch?v=nC8gb5V1Pmo

She wasnt even driving was she…

Sploom:
She wasnt even driving was she…

Yes; at both a technical & physical level.
Look at 1 Min 56 - the wheels are turning.

To be fair traffic wasn’t really moving much.
If traffic was more free flowing she should had book thrown at her.
But this case all something and nothing if ask me .

This guy is a complete bleep word.
He literally sits behind a bush to catch people out and acts like both a traffic warden and a police officer trying to control traffic.

youtube.com/watch?v=aA4Nw4sDT4U

Then he uploads it to youtube for views.

adam277:
He literally sits behind a bush to catch people out and acts like both a traffic warden and a police officer trying to control traffic.

Totally agree. Whilst she s technically breaching the law what a complete ar5e hole that he has nothing better to do than act as others describe.

Perhaps he failed the Met’s selection board.

Maybe being a cyclist he has been knocked off his bike or a family member or friend has and he is getting his payback, I have no time for selfish pricks using mobiles when in the car in traffic stationary or not they deserve all they get.
Credit to the guy having the balls to stand in front of the dickwads car even though he hit him twice this is the same sort of driver that will pull out on you ar a junction and not give a ■■■■ you take much longer to slow down than a car, you are in his way and that’s all that he cares about…

The rules will be changing at some point soon(ish), in the near future, if the phone is in your hand you’ll get done, no matter what you’re doing with it, even checking the time

Zac_A:
The rules will be changing at some point soon(ish), in the near future, if the phone is in your hand you’ll get done, no matter what you’re doing with it, even checking the time

Most modern cars now have the ability to connect to the phone by cable or Bluetooth and display the phone on the cars screen you can then use voice or the steering wheel controls to take a call you can even listen to emails and texts and dictate and send new ones all without touching the phone.

youtu.be/fqSCSAcMViQ?t=15

Its not his job to be a copper .If that driver was a nutter it would be a different story .He would have been on the floor.

WheelsofCardiff:
Its not his job to be a copper .If that driver was a nutter it would be a different story .He would have been on the floor.

You are right its not but he feels so strongly he is willing to stand up to them, the guy was never going to do anything serious he had at least 3 cameras on him.

From what I understand if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or not is not relevant, even on a red traffic light. The use of a mobile at the wheel would still be illegal. Unless you are parked in a safe place with your engine off.

osark:
From what I understand if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or not is not relevant, even on a red traffic light. The use of a mobile at the wheel would still be illegal. Unless you are parked in a safe place with your engine off.

This was my understanding, i never answer my phone unless the engine is off, a bit scary when you are going downhill :wink:

This is from the www.gov.uk site -

adam277:

Good luck to him

I do not take or send any instructions on the phone…and non at rest .before I move I answer or send and that is it untill I stop again…best way ,dont give any one a reason to sniff around your phone just drive the truck easy

Bin Man:
Most modern cars now have the ability to connect to the phone by cable or Bluetooth

Very true, and even if you’re driving some old 55 reg wagon with nothing but a steam-powered radio, your snazzy modern satnav will probably let you connect your phone through it’s own system (my TomTom does), so there is really NO excuse for a HGV driver getting 6 points for a CU80 offence, with potential Tea and Biscuits with the TC too.

adam277:

He will do it to the wrong lunatic one day hopefully,what a grade A twunt

People do bloody stupid things all the time such as cutting across unbroken white lines on motorway exits etc. I just don’t think that stationary traffic or being at a red light should be frowned upon the same as using a mobile phone driving at 80mph inches away from someones bumper on the M1. In my view if the handbrake is on or the vehicle is going under 10 mph then it should be perfectly legal to use a mobile phone, and the current law is a joke. There seems far too much legal ‘caught you out’ instead of just concentrating on what’s actually safe or not. Go and catch some real motoring criminals, plenty out there.