Registering with multiple agencies

Hi

Is it worth registering with 2 separate agencies at the same time?

I found two I like and my thinking is if one doesn’t offer me enough work for the week I can just use the other

My concern is from a tax perspective It will show me as being employed by two companies so on one of them will be taxed on the emergency rate I believe. As I think I’ve had this happen before.

Anyone with some experience of this give some clarity.
And of course all toxic, mocking and derogatory comments welcome.

At the end of the day (or rather, the tax year) it won’t actually make any difference. If you’ve overpaid or underpaid tax you’ll either get a bill or an adjustment to your tax code for the following year. It will be your choice which one of the income streams gets the benefit of your tax code/allowances so you might want to keep half an eye on things through the year just to make sure you’re getting your full allowance each month instead of waiting until year end to settle up with the taxman.

You can split your income tax free allowance between employers.

A quick phone call to HMRC is all you need to do.

Google “Contact HMRC” for all the phone numbers to the various departments.

Income Tax: general enquiries
gov.uk/government/organisat … -employees

Yes, you should register with at least two agencies and you should let them both know that they are not the only agency you have signed up with. This will keep them on their toes.

Harry Monk:
Yes, you should register with at least two agencies and you should let them both know that they are not the only agency you have signed up with. This will keep them on their toes.

That’s my thinking. I keep them on their toes :stuck_out_tongue:.
Thankfully I am not the loyal type. I will switch agencies/employers at the drop of the hat if it is in my interest. Not the type to wait around the phone all day expecting a job.

carlston49:
You can split your income tax free allowance between employers.

Google “Contact HMRC” for all the phone numbers to the various departments.

Income Tax: general enquiries
gov.uk/government/organisat … -employees

Thanks for the tip.

just make sure which ever 2 agencys you chose they dont both send you to the same client

cooper1203:
just make sure which ever 2 agencys you chose they dont both send you to the same client

Do you have to fight yourself to get the job when you both get there?

carlston49:

Yeah, a quick phone call followed by a long wait in a queue to speak to a human :smiley:

Zac_A:

carlston49:

Yeah, a quick phone call followed by a long wait in a queue to speak to a human :smiley:

…who is working from home and there are screaming kids in the background so you can’t hear her properly. (my experience a couple of weeks ago)

I am currently listed with three employers, two of then agencies.
I overpay my taxes, but get a big rebate at the end of every tax year.

Some firms don’t like you working elsewhere, and will P45 you if they don’t get the plum shifts out of you, rather than you go to the highest payer for that particular shift pattern you seek…

Of course, agencies - tend to just stop ringing you, rather than “let you go” I’ve found.

No problemo - the only “risk” you take - is the time you wasted signing up with them, only to possibly not get any work, as they lied to you about the work they already had on their books, much of which might have been “Subbie” work for instance…

When prospecting new agencies - I’d suggest finding out they are the main supplier to TWO firms rather than just the one.
Manpower, for instance - if you’re not doing Royal Mail - then what other firms do they have as clients that they pay over £20ph for?
If the answer is none - then don’t bother with Manpower clearly!

Same goes for Pertemps, Staffline, TRG, and Extrastaff - who might have just the one flagship “top dollar payer client” but no others. in your area at least…

Zac_A:

carlston49:

Choose the “I want to pay you some money” option on menus, and then type nothing into the keypad… A real person will then pick up, keen to take your 16 digit card number you’re apparently struggling to key into your handset… :stuck_out_tongue: