can i do this

I am having some building work done next week so have to take 4days off so i can be here and deal with it all. However due to being a newbie at the company i havent earnt enough holiday entitlement for 4 days leave.

is the following shifts ok or am i going to be breaching the weekly rest…

last week mon-fri no reduced daily rest
reduced weekly rest
this week sun - fri
full weekly rest plus reduced paid back
next week
monday work
tues-fri leave/holiday
sat work
following week…
sun - fri

in otherwords im looking to work 7 shifts (sat - fri) so i get at least 2 days pay for that week plus what little holiday i have accrued. On the face of it it seems too much however i am haveing my weekly rest plus some on my leave

No, is the simple answer. You can’t work 7 days in a row, even if they are over two separate calendar weeks. This is because you have to start a period of weekly rest no more than 144 hours (6 days) after your previous weekly rest.
Drivers hours follow ‘fixed weeks’ (00:00 Monday - 24:00 Sunday), working time, working time follows the ‘working week’, any period immediately after a weekly rest

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cooper1203:
in otherwords im looking to work 7 shifts

What is…

Wrong with you?

yourhavingalarf:

cooper1203:
in otherwords im looking to work 7 shifts

What is…

Wrong with you?

why do i want to work 7shifts■■? because i have bills to pay and as i havent accrued 4 days holiday my money will be short so need the extra day to bump it up.

Why are your…

Bills more than you can afford?

Why put yourself into a situation that involves reckless and asinine remedies?

yourhavingalarf:
Why are your…

i can afford them doing 3-4 days aweek not on 1 or 2

Depends on what your employer is like but you could ask for the extra day’s leave, then at a later point work the “owed” shift without being paid. Alternatively, get someone else to deal with whatever the builders are doing.
If you get stopped having not had sufficient rest, the fine will probably be more than an unpaid day off will cost you.

cooper1203:

yourhavingalarf:
Why are your…

i can afford them doing 3-4 days aweek not on 1 or 2

Coop, you need to take a long hard look at your finances. If you can manage doing 3-4 days a week where’s your contingency? A few years ago I had to take nearly 2 years sick & statury sick pay for Moston that. My savings took a massive hit but my home was never under threat. If you can’t manage on 1-2 days for 1.week then, I would suggest, if you get sick/injured your really in the crap.

To your immediate issue will your boss give you paid leave to be repaid if you leave before accrueing sufficient? Most employers I’ve worked for would honour booked holidays on that basis when joining.

I don’t think I’ve ever worked for an employer who required staff to accrue holiday entitlement in advance of taking leave. In my experience the arrangement is that your annual entitlement is your annual entitlement (reduced on a sliding scale if you join part-way through the year). It’s up to you when you take it and if you want to take most of that year’s holidays in the first month of the year then (subject to limitations on taking more than two weeks in one go - in order to give everyone else a fair crack of the whip) that’s your choice.

If you leave partway through the year, then a monetary adjustment (plus or minus) is made to your final pay packet to account for any extra holiday owed or taken.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

cooper1203:
why do i want to work 7shifts■■? because i have bills to pay

This is why you have an emergency fund. You want to build up a separate savings account with 3-6 months living expenses in. It saved my backside 2 years ago when I had to have emergency spinal surgery and an unplanned 12 weeks off work on £95 sick pay.

Reddit /r/ukpersonalfinance flowchart…

Roymondo:
I don’t think I’ve ever worked for an employer who required staff to accrue holiday entitlement in advance of taking leave.

If you leave partway through the year, then a monetary adjustment (plus or minus) is made to your final pay packet to account for any extra holiday owed or taken.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Neither have I. Legally whilst you do not have to accrue leave in order to take it with it working as you said an employer can choose to only allow you to take annual leave once you’ve earned it in the first 12 months of your employment. The better employers don’t do that, hell even my agency didn’t and allowed you to take it when you wanted and just said if you leave before you’ve earned enough to cover what you’d taken you’d have to repay it.

Yes, you can be on duty on seven consecutive CALENDAR days, depending on what time you commenced duty on the first day. The regulations state that a driver cannot be on duty for more than six consecutive periods of 24 hrs, therefore, if for example you started on Your first day at 08.00hrs, you could still be on duty until 08.00 hrs on the seventh CALENDAR day following.
(This assumes that you had a full weekly rest at the end of your previous permitted shifts)
I think!!!

Old John:
Yes, you can be on duty on seven consecutive CALENDAR days, depending on what time you commenced duty on the first day. The regulations state that a driver cannot be on duty for more than six consecutive periods of 24 hrs, therefore, if for example you started on Your first day at 08.00hrs, you could still be on duty until 08.00 hrs on the seventh CALENDAR day following.
(This assumes that you had a full weekly rest at the end of your previous permitted shifts)
I think!!!

Wrong. After working on 6 days, you must begin a WEEKLY rest period. Even if you take a reduced weekly rest period, this must be at least 24 hours, therefore meaning you can work no part of the 7th day

Conor:

cooper1203:
why do i want to work 7shifts■■? because i have bills to pay

This is why you have an emergency fund. You want to build up a separate savings account with 3-6 months living expenses in. It saved my backside 2 years ago when I had to have emergency spinal surgery and an unplanned 12 weeks off work on £95 sick pay.

I see and hear of any number of people who are living literally from one payday to the next, with the loss of just a week or two’s income (or even less) likely to push them into a catastrophic situation. For those on benefits or providing for a family on minimum wage that’s almost a given - but for lorry drivers on wages that are at or above the median wage (for the avoidance of doubt, that means your income is at least as good as the majority of folk in this country) there really is no excuse for being in this situation. Get your hands on a copy of The Richest Man In Babylon by George S Clason (or for a more modern take on exactly the same idea Money For Life by Alvin Hall). Read, understand and apply the few basic principles in either book and enjoy a life of financial security.

Terry Cooksey:

Old John:
I think!!!

Wrong. After working on 6 days, you must begin a WEEKLY rest period. Even if you take a reduced weekly rest period, this must be at least 24 hours, therefore meaning you can work no part of the 7th day

Wrong again. You must start a weekly rest period within 144 hours of ending one. Do the maths.

Ask a question and get typical trucknet ■■■■■■■■ answers.

Someone just give him a simple yes or no, he didn’t ask for financial advice ffs

You can only work 7 consecutive shifts if they fit into a period of 144 hours from the start of the first shift to the end of the seventh shift.
As that’s not likely to be the case the answer to your question is generally no.

the maoster:

Terry Cooksey:

Old John:
I think!!!

Wrong again. You must start a weekly rest period within 144 hours of ending one. Do the maths.

Finish weekly rest period, for example at 06:00 Monday. 144 hours (6 days, taking you to 06:00 Sunday) elapse, begin new weekly rest period, minimum of 24 hours (1 day) in duration. By my maths, that takes you right to 06:00 the following Monday?

drover:
Someone just give him a simple yes or no, he didn’t ask for financial advice ffs

You’re right, he didn’t ask for financial advice, and if he hadn’t said it was for building work, which most people will probably assume is non-emergency home-improvement stuff, then I would say the “advice” would be bordering on a lecture, and therefore a bit out of order.

Those who are clearly quite “financially sorted” might stop to realise not everyone has the same situation, I know people who have very large debts (think one years wages minimum) through little or no fault of their own (eg expensive divorces or child custody/access battles).

As for him getting a simple answer, I was fairly sure he’s had that early on.

Regarding the seven days issue, I had this discussion with someone last year, he said you can’t have seven days showing on your tacho but one guy at his work did that every couple of weeks and he shouldn’t be getting away with it etc etc.

It took a while to get to the bottom of his story (he had a bit of a rage on) but the “offending” driver in question worked Mon to Fri, then did a half day Saturday, finishing at noon. Had a reduced weekly rest until about 8pm Sunday when he started work again, giving him a comfortable margin of 32 hours reduced weekly rest with seven days showing on his card and an easily do-able compensation of 13 hours for the next weekend. The complaining guy wouldn’t accept it though, he was too hung up on the “seven days” issue. :unamused: