What does it cost, C then C+E

I did my class 1 in 1988, (all still up to date, did agency through lockdown) 4 days training with test Friday morning at a cost of £800, adjusted for inflation works out at about £2500 in today’s money, just interest in how much it is costing now to go from full car licence to class one with all the class room stuff, talkin to a customer in my taxi the other night and an ex chef he was talkin to said he had paid about £4500 to get his class 1 licence, if that’s the case, it’s not surprising that it seems not many people are interested in becoming a truck driver these days.
Don’t think it will be long before the training companies will be moaning about lost revenues when only training would be drivers for 1 class only, bet they haven’t had it so good since 97.

Think i heard they want £300 for each retest if you fail - thats where you bankrupt yourself.

JeffA:
Think i heard they want £300 for each retest if you fail - thats where you bankrupt yourself.

£300 may be including use of the truck. The actual test (and subsequent retests) costs £115 for weekdays and £141 for evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.

696f25c6220f193deed79a29d9ed03c7_.jpg

My mate recently upgraded his class 2 to class one course was 16 hours cost him £1100 that’s in Manchester.

And can imagine now you can bypass doing class 2 1st .prices will rise to reflect business schools will loose

edd1974:
My mate recently upgraded his class 2 to class one course was 16 hours cost him £1100 that’s in Manchester.

And can imagine now you can bypass doing class 2 1st .prices will rise to reflect business schools will loose

I asked the DCPC man about five years ago, how much to upgrade my C to C+E . He quoted £1,050 test included. That was for Glasgow test centre.

1983…

4 days tution (shared with another learner) and one day for the test.

£350 all in.

1976, straight to class 1.
10 day course with test on the 10th day, £296.

Class 2 already held in the army.

£300 for a weeks course with CLS in Scunthorpe, I could’ve done it for free if I’d agreed to work for CLS but mates who worked there advised me against it.
So, paid myself and went to work for the legendary company Smiths of Scotter, 1st trip tip Turin and Novarra reload Siracusa in Sicily.
That was the only way to learn, no satnavs then.