2019 Driver shortage

As has been said elsewhere its nothing new, this video says it all -

youtube.com/watch?v=9hSake-OUXU

D.Thompson:

At that time the newly qualified were struggling to get a job but not now
That to me is the defining difference as to whether there is a genuine shortage or not

D.Thompson:

FFS, how many more threads on exactly the same subject?
At least Robroy’s was on a different angle and interesting, this is from years ago and spouting the same ■■■■ as all the other monotonous threads started by bored individuals in the past month.

Take a look into the past 2 years on the newbies forum and the difference is easy to see

Grumpy_old_trucker:

D.Thompson:

At least Robroy’s was on a different angle and interesting, this is from years ago and spouting the same [zb] as all the other monotonous threads started by bored individuals in the past month.

It was obvious forum the thread title what the thread was about why bother to click on it its not compulsory try having a bit of self control in future and give threads you will obviously not like reading a miss.

You cannot have watched the full video as you answered 8 minutes after i posted and the video is 11 minutes long so you have no idea of its content, its obvious you love your reputation here as the forum g*******e try wind your ■■■■■■■ neck in.

D.Thompson:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

D.Thompson:

At least Robroy’s was on a different angle and interesting, this is from years ago and spouting the same [zb] as all the other monotonous threads started by bored individuals in the past month.

It was obvious forum the thread title what the thread was about why bother to click on it its not compulsory, you cannot have watched the full video as you answerd 8 minutes after i posted and the video is 11 minutes long so you have no idea of its content, its obvious you love your reputation here as the forum [zb] try having a bit of self control in future and wind your [zb] neck in.

No need to watch it, it’s about the same ■■■■■ as all the other boring, monotonous threads on the same subject that’s been infesting the forum in the past month or so.
Unlike those though you’ve felt the need to drag some boring, uninteresting ■■■■■ up with no relevance to the current situation from 3 years ago.
Oh, attack the post not the poster!

D.Thompson:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

D.Thompson:

It was obvious forum the thread title what the thread was about why bother to click on it its not compulsory try having a bit of self control in future and give threads you will obviously not like reading a miss.

You cannot have watched the full video as you answered 8 minutes after i posted and the video is 11 minutes long so you have no idea of its content, its obvious you love your reputation here as the forum g*******e try wind your [zb] neck in.

Here’s a little advice for you, editing a post after someone has quoted the original post in another post won’t make it disappear.
As I said before, attack the post not the poster!
Over 100 posts and you’ve been here only a week and you feel the need to post abuse towards another forum member that doesn’t agree with your post is not the way to go, trust me, I know I learned from experience.
Have a nice day sweet cheeks.

If i find the poster irritating i will say so i bet there are many members here who would like to do the same but don’t want to be banned for saying it, i only joined to link to the off site DCPC poll so have nothing to fear on that score.

Have a good day. :wink:

ROG:

D.Thompson:

At that time the newly qualified were struggling to get a job but not now
That to me is the defining difference as to whether there is a genuine shortage or not

Post some real world examples of job ads showing that the ‘experience’ issue isn’t still the same issue that it’s always been at least regarding the few decent quality jobs that the industry has left.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
No need to watch it, it’s about the same [zb] as all the other boring, monotonous threads on the same subject that’s been infesting the forum in the past month or so.

:bulb: So why bother replying if you don’t like it? :unamused:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Oh, attack the post not the poster!

This is a fair point though.

D.Thompson:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Nothing that added anything to the topic :unamused:

This^^^

He’s received this advice before. :unamused:

As off topic as it is…

Grumpy I know your just living up to your name but you mind not being so antagonistic?

Grumpy Old Trucker:

It would be quite easy to go through your posts and find many examples of you doing just this.

Carryfast:
Post some real world examples of job ads showing that the ‘experience’ issue isn’t still the same issue that it’s always been at least regarding the few decent quality jobs that the industry has left.

Of course the really good jobs require experience, but thats the same in any industry. You don’t jump into the best jobs without experience. The difference is most are dropping the 1 or 2 years experience requirement and its not just the really really crap jobs.

trevHCS:

Carryfast:
Post some real world examples of job ads showing that the ‘experience’ issue isn’t still the same issue that it’s always been

Of course the really good jobs require experience, but thats the same in any industry. You don’t jump into the best jobs without experience. The difference is most are dropping the 1 or 2 years experience requirement and its not just the really really crap jobs.

The truth is justifiably few potential new entrants to the industry, believe the idea that taking on all the local multi drop etc etc work in the world will count for a bag of beans when they try to climb the ladder to what remains of the ever dwindling decent jobs.
Which contrary to the Brexit propaganda is still dominated by east euro based operations including the ongoing cabotage allowance they can do between international freight journeys.We haven’t left the EU single transport market.
The best that new entrants here can generally hope for is all the usual suspect class 2 dross followed by a career of class 1 supermarket distribution sector dross or hub system night trunking.
Asuming they even bother and don’t decide to drive cars around the country, competing with me for work, instead.
Having said that I’d like to see all these adverts stating new drivers no experience welcome other than in the above mentioned sectors of the industry and which is mostly all that remains of the industry.

Carryfast:

trevHCS:

Carryfast:
Post some real world examples of job ads showing that the ‘experience’ issue isn’t still the same issue that it’s always been

The truth is justifiably few potential new entrants to the industry, believe the idea that taking on all the local multi drop etc etc work in the world will count for a bag of beans when they try to climb the ladder to what remains of the ever dwindling decent jobs.
Which contrary to the Brexit propaganda is still dominated by east euro based operations including the ongoing cabotage allowance they can do between international freight journeys.We haven’t left the EU single transport market.
The best that new entrants here can generally hope for is all the usual suspect class 2 dross followed by a career of class 1 supermarket distribution sector dross or hub system night trunking.
Asuming they even bother and don’t decide to drive cars around the country, competing with me for work, instead.
Having said that I’d like to see all these adverts stating new drivers no experience welcome other than in the above mentioned sectors of the industry and which is mostly all that remains of the industry.

I do love the fact you seem to think everyone lives their lives exactly as you do/did.

Carryfast:

While no-one could deny that the sectors you mention are a large part of the road transport industry these days, I think you’ll find there are plenty of newish drivers who don’t work in either of those sectors and many who never have and possibly never will.

D.Thompson:

You can pick any year over the last 20+ years and find headlines about a driver shortage.

Conor:

D.Thompson:

You can pick any year over the last 20+ years and find headlines about a driver shortage.

I haven’t been driver long so wasn’t aware this was the case, i don’t remember it being so widely discussed in the past is this the worst state the industry has bee in?

D.Thompson:
i don’t remember it being so widely discussed in the past is this the worst state the industry has bee in?

It doesn’t get any worse than a European Country with 16% of Europe’s population has a 5% market share of its road transport.While a country with around half that population has 17% market share.
Prospective employees can see the writing on the wall for the former.
That issue obviously doesn’t fit the government’s script of a ‘logistics’ industry dominated by the warehouse work sector.In which it wants to maximise the warehouse role merged with the now minimised driving role to save wage costs.
In which the resulting Warehousemen/LGV drivers will be called ‘logistics operatives’ given a few quid extra per hour as a carrot.
Some can see it.Especially obviously the Poles who have the 17% of Europe’s driver jobs waiting for them when they get home.

tachograph:

Carryfast:

While no-one could deny that the sectors you mention are a large part of the road transport industry these days, I think you’ll find there are plenty of newish drivers who don’t work in either of those sectors and many who never have and possibly never will.

And it’s no bad thing anyway. I really enjoy supermarket store deliveries, always have