FT sums it up well

The Financial Times has done a good article on current situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You need a subscription to the ft to read it.

that article won’t go down well on these pages.
Makes too much logical sense and is too well researched

Exhaustion is real you race around during a shift to get back.I know most say i sleep in my own bed.Trampers park up go to bed.Commuting to work takes a toll on drivers.You may not get rest when you get home.

WheelsofCardiff:
Exhaustion is real you race around during a shift to get back.I know most say i sleep in my own bed.Trampers park up go to bed.Commuting to work takes a toll on drivers.You may not get rest when you get home.

That’s one of the reasons I gave up driving for the moment. 60 hour week+commute, meant that my life revolved around sleeping/work/eating. I’ve got my old job back temporary at the council as a housing officer, after a brief spell working for a housing association as a rent officer. Can’t say I miss getting up at 04:15 for a 5am start. Now doing 37hr week and the difference is incredible in tiredness but stress is high in the job due to dealing with anti social behaviour etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A very interesting read, thanks for posting.

hkloss1:

You DO realise the article is NOT blaming the current situation,on brexit.

It’s really,quite simple,Keith.

They’ve squeezed the ■■■■■■ life out of it…and now,nobody wants it.

■■■■ em

commonrail:

hkloss1:

You DO realise the article is NOT blaming the current situation,on brexit.

Correct.
The solution isn’t Brexit.
Because…
The problem wasn’t the EU.
Similar issues now in other EU countries.
And the USA.
amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/29/econ … index.html

Amazing to think that it was not that long ago, you could read articles in the Comical Motor mag where hauliers and the mag themselves lamented the fact that some drivers wanted a social life, and it was affecting the hauliers business.
Good to see the FT painting a realistic picture of the current situation.
Would love to see them, or somebody, tell us the true cost to the country of IR35. Would it be right to say the ending of this loophole is the real reason for the exodus of EU workers?

From far away in Australia, I can see the damage that’s been done by huge retailers and companies forcing down everything but their profits. Smaller haulage companies have been clobbered while the big boys enjoyed making money, undercutting the smaller one’s. If I’d still lived over there, I’d have jumped ship by now and found work doing something else.

Janos:
Amazing to think that it was not that long ago, you could read articles in the Comical Motor mag where hauliers and the mag themselves lamented the fact that some drivers wanted a social life, and it was affecting the hauliers business.
Good to see the FT painting a realistic picture of the current situation.
Would love to see them, or somebody, tell us the true cost to the country of IR35. Would it be right to say the ending of this loophole is the real reason for the exodus of EU workers?

More than one reason of course.
COVID: lock down, furlough, some jobs lost and some created, change of priorities for workers.
Brexit…big can of worms. Increasing wages in the East Euro countries, and lower cost of living. Once an East EU driver goes to visit family “back home” why return?
IR 35.
Unpicking how much each is responsible for any individual’s choice of action is impossible.

Franglais:
Unpicking how much each is responsible for any individual’s choice of action is impossible.

I disagree. It’s quite simple, you ask the individuals concerned, you listen to what you are told, empethis/understand with what you are being told then address the issues that make driving lorries such an unattractive job choice.

Sadly those steps have not been done & the current position is a result.

Janos:
Would it be right to say the ending of this loophole is the real reason for the exodus of EU workers?

According to my agency…

That’s the main reason they can’t fill vacancies at the moment. Many of the drivers just left without a word of what they were going to do, leaving the agency right in the brown stuff. A taste of what goes around comes around methinks.

Karma dude.

JeffA:
You need a subscription to the ft to read it.

No, it’s been copied and pasted on here for you. Have you read it? It’s very interesting.

I see the line Tesco are offering a 1k bonus over 6 months. We all know that
But it then says this is subject to terms conditions and can be withdrawn at anytime.
IE there find an excuse to not pay it. That’s. If anybody even lasts 6 months

And poor old Orys got so much stick on these pages and now he is writing in the FT :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
And poor old Orys got so much stick on these pages and now he is writing in the FT :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I’ve written in The Times!

Admittedly it was the crossword and it was in crayon. :wink:

yourhavingalarf:

Janos:
Would it be right to say the ending of this loophole is the real reason for the exodus of EU workers?

According to my agency…

That’s the main reason they can’t fill vacancies at the moment. Many of the drivers just left without a word of what they were going to do, leaving the agency right in the brown stuff. A taste of what goes around comes around methinks.

Karma dude.

This is something that is not talked about enough. I can’t find a professional opinion on it. Just seems to be anecdotal evidence at the moment. Find it hard to believe that these EU Ltd Co drivers were taking their money, and then diligently employing an accountant to pay their share into UK coffers. I can see where your coming from re the karma dude. It must be satisfying seeing those parasitic agencies squirm, but I wonder why they have not squealed to the govt about letting IR35 continue for so long, and then it being stopped, along with our exit from the EU. Creating this mass exodus? How much tax has the revenue lost over the IR35 period, and why have they effectively endorsed workers working ‘cash in hand’, and thumbing their nose at the mugs who pay their dues?

WheelsofCardiff:

So the best job the oncoming world will be:

High hourly rate
No time pressures
Open Hours always available, with open shift times
Shift rate tiers no longer a “Right through rate”, but instead “Pro Rata”.
Eg. You start at 16:00 with night rate kicking in at 18:00 and day rate coming back @ 06:00.
Do a 15 hour shift, get 2 hours @ afternoon rate, 12 hours @ night rate, 1 hour @ day rate.
No pressure to work more shifts than you want, or planned for 15 hours as standard.
No “not paid whilst wheels ain’t turning” ■■■■■■■■.
Minimal deductions for Meal Breaks, ideally “none at all”.