Be careful! increased rights for bikes and pedestrians

Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58021450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unbelievable crap. So now you’ll have berks on bikes being even worse than they are now because they’ll regard the new rules as a force field and if they do get clobbered it’ll all be down to the driver, not the rider!

Haven’t even mentioned some of the morons on foot.

News comes at same time a cyclist is jailed for 2 years . For.running a red light knocking a pedestrian over who later does from her injuries.
He rides off and thank god is eventually caught.
But 2 years .

Link to BBC News article

First thing I thought of was extra responsibility requiring extra money.

Another pay rise all round anyone? :smiling_imp:

toonsy:

In the form of ‘‘Improved Cycle to Work’’ scheme. That way we can all see for ourselves what cylcists have to go through every day - having to ride on the road where there’s a perfecly parallel cycling path alongside. That’ll teach us first hand experience and empathy. He lucky I was in my car or I would’ve blasted his ears off (my car horn doesn’t work :cry: )

Just the thing to put off anyone considering becoming an HGV driver.

A sensible Union would be demanding at least two days funded practical retraining for all large vehicle drivers immediately.

cav551:
Just the thing to put off anyone considering becoming an HGV driver.

‘‘New changes to the Highway Code will give pedestrians greater priority over cars at junctions and crossings, the transport secretary has announced.’’

I don’t see anything about greater priority over LORRIES, HA!!

ETS:

toonsy:

In the form of ‘‘Improved Cycle to Work’’ scheme. That way we can all see for ourselves what cylcists have to go through every day - having to ride on the road where there’s a perfecly parallel cycling path alongside. That’ll teach us first hand experience and empathy. He lucky I was in my car or I would’ve blasted his ears off (my car horn doesn’t work :cry: )

Or free on site parking?

What is it now? Two points for a pedestrian and three for a cyclist?

Just speed up and put your wipers on after you hit a lycra man - thats what I do

I just love coming across a couple of lycra clad cyclists at 5am cycling side by side whilst wearing all black clothing and using no lights on a bendy country lane, I’m the AHole to the car drivers stuck behind me at 10mph as I can’t get by and they never pull into a safe place to let you pass, it’s no wonder cyclists are hated by motorists.

Have you ever been tempted to “punishment pass” them - giving them about half an inch space as you go past? Of course the idea never crosses my mind…

Had the the pleasure of doing a cpc course with a cycle safe team, one of the first questions is “should bikes always use cycle lanes” to which everyone replies YES!!

As the day progresses they teach you how to cycle to protect yourself, and demonstrate how most cycle lanes are in the worst places/ unsafe. This was in Manchester and part of it would have you at risk of a wheel down the side of a tram track and off your bike.

Sadly cycle infrastructure is put in to get the council money, think they get so much £ per mile. So no thought goes in to good infrastructure, it just get crammed in anywhere to the frustration of all road users, the cyclists hate it as much as drivers.

I’ve commuted to work for 3 years now and i feel so much healthier, fortunately there are showers at work as the UK climate isn’t really ideal for cycling! and i can go by canal towpath so don’t hold anyone up, although the walkers hate me as much as drivers do! (Ps, I don’t wear lycra either)

We all need to rub along together, after all every cyclist or pedestrian is a car removed from the queue in front of you.

This never gets old :laughing: youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

JeffA:
Have you ever been tempted to “punishment pass” them - giving them about half an inch space as you go past? Of course the idea never crosses my mind…

no , i do a lot of rural work . they want 1m to their left and 1.5m to their right , add to that theyre about a metre wide .i just sit behind them in a lower gear than i need to be. eventually they pull over to the left and wait while i get past giving them a friendly toot on the horn as i crawl past. :smiley:

vwvanman0:
(Ps, I don’t wear lycra either)

Me neither, I find tights far more comfortable. Particularly fishnets.

have a drive up the a6 from derby too bakewell and you will find some of the most militant two wheeled lycra clad mob whom love too hold up the traffic for fun.
Derbyshire council are also consulting to build a cycle route from ambergate too matlock to reduce the amount of cyclist’s on the a6 (sure it called the monsal trail), it will be a financial disaster because the cyclists will all claim that it wont be suitable for there bikes so will continue to use the a6.
sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout … gI8MfD_BwE