We might end up being respected after all

The supply chain may collapse within 2-3 weeks apparently.

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind

[motortransport]

Search for:

HOMENEWSINDUSTRY NEWSUK supply chain faces collapse in “two to three weeks”, RHA warns government

UK supply chain faces collapse in “two to three weeks”, RHA warns government

July 27, 2021 Carol Millett

[motortransport]

The UK is facing the collapse of the supply chain in the next two to three weeks, RHA chief executive Richard Burnett (pictured) warned this week.

Speaking to the BBC, Burnett said that despite meeting with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last week to warn him of the perilous situation, the government is continuing to refuse to take any immediate action to tackle the severe HGV driver shortage.

In an interview with BBC broadcaster Paddy O’Connell on Sunday (25 July), Burnett said:
“We’re facing, potentially in the next two to three weeks, a collapse of the supply chain and we will see even bigger gaps on supermarket shelves because we cannot get product into the supply chain fast enough.

“We have got hauliers that have literally got vehicles parked up, unable to cover literally hundreds of thousands of loads on a daily basis. And that’s impacting the food supply chain.
This is a massive crisis – a crisis on a scale of which we have never seen before in this industry and government is burying its head in the sand – it’s not recognising the seriousness of the situation.

“I had a conversation with Grant Shapps last Thursday (22 July) for about 45 minutes to tell him that there’s going to be a collapse. That was on the back of conversations that I’ve had with the chief executives of large logistics businesses. They have told me that this is of crisis proportions and we’re not getting the support from government.”

The RHA is lobbying government to allow temporary visas for European HGV drivers to immediately plug the shortage of drivers in the UK, whilst longer-term measures are put in place to increase training and testing of new drivers.

Burnett explained: “We have asked for the Home Office Shortage Occupation List to recognise the shortage of HGV drivers and apply for temporary fees in the same way that DEFRA have provided those exemptions for seasonal workers, but still a resounding no. And still stonewalling and blocking any progress in terms of actually resolving this problem in the short term.”

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Dream on. Any “respect” we get will be nullified when things get back to normal; and furthermore, any “days of inaction” as I’ve seen promoted will just backfire, we’ll go overnight from being overworked underpaid heroes to greedy self-serving zeroes who are closing hospitals and starving grannies.

The British press and media is a fickle beast which exists only to serve itself.

Way it’s.going with places offering joing bonuses and pay raises etc
The money will be made back by higher prices in the shops.

And won’t be long before some papers blame us for higher prices on the shelves…and holding the country to ransom for more money

edd1974:

And won’t be long before some papers blame us for higher prices on the shelves…and holding the country to ransom for more money

They can say what they want. We’ve been working for crap money for the last 10+ years.

Higher prices in the shops? Are you happy to work for crappy wages to keep the cost of shopping down? Get real and realise your worth.

There’s a company near me (John Mitchell of Grangemouth) that are paying £9.65 p/h for class 1 drivers.

Yes, £9.65 p/h.

It’s 2021 ffs.

Put the wages up until enough people want to do it. Simples.

According to my mate he took 7 palls from Leicester to Exeter the other day , said it’s far from a one off , maybe the rha could look into utilising fleets better before they bring in thousands more drivers
I’m sure years ago a few firms wouldn’t send a load if it wasn’t 26 pallets minimum

Roverman:

edd1974:
There’s a company near me (John Mitchell of Grangemouth) that are paying £9.65 p/h for class 1 drivers.

Us Scots are the new eastern europeans. I applied online for a class 1 job today, for an Ayrshire based company running own south with frozen/chilled. Four days on 4 off, tramping. I got phone call within an hour of sending my application, the guy said they were mega busy and desperate for drivers, could I come down for an assessment and interview? I asked a few basic questions just to find out some more about what the job entails, and found out it involves running in to central London. Great. I’m not faint hearted, but in an artic it’s just too much stress for reasons we all know about. Then the pay… £10.50 per hour. Errm; thanks but no thanks. No wonder there’s a shortage of drivers; or should that be a shortage of people wanting to bend over and take it up the shyter for not a lot in return?
I’ve also seen jobs advertised up here for under a tenner per hour. A.D. Logistics at Linwood are constantly advertising for class 1 drivers; they recently put the hourly rate for dayshift up from £9.50 per hour. to… £9.90 per hour. Aye right; haud me back!!! :unamused:

It is quite simple, use what you have effectively and you will cover the shortfall, in that the hours wasted in many, many RDC`s over the entire UK will if streamlined and serviced expediently cover the hours they THINK they need.
Just get people to do the job properly and these people are the planners, the loaders, the unloaders, the people who do the ordering…Forecasts, I used to do this as an occupation, to ensure that people worked smarter, not harder and to increase profit by increasing output with the same amount of personnel, usually by 35% and also by decreasing working hours required…Forecast, flow and profit for no extra outlay, it was very popular and paid very well…Staff happy, customers happy, owners happy.

No rockets were ever harmed in it`s application.

dozy:
According to my mate he took 7 palls from Leicester to Exeter the other day , said it’s far from a one off , maybe the rha could look into utilising fleets better before they bring in thousands more drivers
I’m sure years ago a few firms wouldn’t send a load if it wasn’t 26 pallets minimum

Not such a bad hit but there’s already sites that can help like return loads etc.

It’s been mentioned before but RDC turnaround times have been one thing that has eaten time of most of us at some point. Look at that maybe?

Then there’s also the fact that there may be a shortness of drivers but there’s also a shortage of decent office staff to utilise things properly. For instance we are now part of a group. I took a full load to near Bath/Bristol today. We’ve got another firm in Bristol so the sensible thing would be to arrange something going north from there, no? Obviously no because it made more sense to send an artic empty from Bath/Bristol to Wolverhampton to collect… six pallets… :unamused:

We will never be respected as long as the most famous lorry driver in the country is Peter Sutcliffe.

Roverman:

And the DFS sale ends this weekend.

Roverman:

[motortransport]

Search for:

HOMENEWSINDUSTRY NEWSUK supply chain faces collapse in “two to three weeks”, RHA warns government

[motortransport]

The UK is facing the collapse of the supply chain in the next two to three weeks, RHA chief executive Richard Burnett (pictured) warned this week.

Speaking to the BBC, Burnett said that despite meeting with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last week to warn him of the perilous situation, the government is continuing to refuse to take any immediate action to tackle the severe HGV driver shortage.

In an interview with BBC broadcaster Paddy O’Connell on Sunday (25 July), Burnett said:
“We’re facing, potentially in the next two to three weeks, a collapse of the supply chain and we will see even bigger gaps on supermarket shelves because we cannot get product into the supply chain fast enough.

“We have got hauliers that have literally got vehicles parked up, unable to cover literally hundreds of thousands of loads on a daily basis. And that’s impacting the food supply chain.
This is a massive crisis – a crisis on a scale of which we have never seen before in this industry and government is burying its head in the sand – it’s not recognising the seriousness of the situation.

“I had a conversation with Grant Shapps last Thursday (22 July) for about 45 minutes to tell him that there’s going to be a collapse. That was on the back of conversations that I’ve had with the chief executives of large logistics businesses. They have told me that this is of crisis proportions and we’re not getting the support from government.”

The RHA is lobbying government to allow temporary visas for European HGV drivers to immediately plug the shortage of drivers in the UK, whilst longer-term measures are put in place to increase training and testing of new drivers.

Burnett explained: “We have asked for the Home Office Shortage Occupation List to recognise the shortage of HGV drivers and apply for temporary fees in the same way that DEFRA have provided those exemptions for seasonal workers, but still a resounding no. And still stonewalling and blocking any progress in terms of actually resolving this problem in the short term.”

The short version is that Richard Burnett is sick of his email inbox being clogged up with rants from two-bit haulage companies operating on a shoestring who are now having to pay £20/hr+ for a driver and want the cheap minimum wage flip-flops back. Flip-flops aren’t coming back and Richard knows that Grant Shapps has put his mobile number on his reject list and told him to tell the two-bit hauliers that the only answer is for them to get their hand in their pocket and pay the market rate, so Richard has upped the ante and is now making scare stories about a “complete collapse of the supply chain in two to three weeks” to put the ball back in Grant’s court in the hope it works and Grant sends flip-flops. :smiley:

More popcorn anyone?

DCPCFML:
The short version is that Richard Burnett is sick of his email inbox being clogged up with rants from two-bit haulage companies operating on a shoestring who are now having to pay £20/hr+ for a driver and want the cheap minimum wage flip-flops back. Flip-flops aren’t coming back and Richard knows that Grant Shapps has put his mobile number on his reject list and told him to tell the two-bit hauliers that the only answer is for them to get their hand in their pocket and pay the market rate, so Richard has upped the ante and is now making scare stories about a “complete collapse of the supply chain in two to three weeks” to put the ball back in Grant’s court in the hope it works and Grant sends flip-flops. :smiley:

More popcorn anyone?

Probably not far off the mark with that mate.

Roverman:

edd1974:

They can say what they want. We’ve been working for crap money for the last 10+ years.

Higher prices in the shops? Are you happy to work for crappy wages to keep the cost of shopping down? Get real and realise your worth.

Yes, £9.65 p/h.

It’s 2021 ffs.

Any there will always be mugs willing to work for that !!!

DCPCFML:

Roverman:

[motortransport]

Search for:

[motortransport]

More popcorn anyone?

That’s kind of what I thought when I read it.

The RHA care rock all about the industry. In 1980 the rates were P155 poor and they are (were) still P155 poor. It is incredulous. The Motor Transport cost tables might as well be a work of fiction as so many so called ‘professional hauliers’ are clearly running for a negative amount of money. Absolutely ludicrous.

You reap what you sow mister Burnett and all your Chicken Licken “The sky’s falling in!” rhetoric merely demonstrates the bitter harvest you and your members have had coming for at least two decades
Shapps and his colleagues are no mugs, they know fine well the game is up and this situation is entirely of the haulage industry’s own making.
To quote the former PM Jim Callaghan “The sky is black with chickens coming home to roost”

[quote="

Yes, £9.65 p/h.

It’s 2021 ffs.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk[/quote]
some of mitchells drivers have been there for years, they used to pay extra 50p for adr work.

Far too many haulage companies cramming 30 plus pallets onto a trailer and only charging for 26. Madness, even more so when they have invested £ thousands on double deck trailers: to benefit who? certainly not themselves, all they have achieved is a reduced bank balance and increased running costs.

bigdave789:
You reap what you sow mister Burnett and all your Chicken Licken “The sky’s falling in!” rhetoric merely demonstrates the bitter harvest you and your members have had coming for at least two decades
Shapps and his colleagues are no mugs, they know fine well the game is up and this situation is entirely of the haulage industry’s own making.
To quote the former PM Jim Callaghan “The sky is black with chickens coming home to roost”

DCPCFML and yourself are spot on in these assessments.

The industry for years took the ■■■■ out of the very people who keep the show running and are now crying because the race to the bottom they’ve been having has reached the end, good, hope it hurts them badly they deserve everything that’s coming.

Anyone notice, if you work for companies that kept full delivery schedules all the way through this flu ■■■■■■■■, ie foodstuffs and other essentials, that the front line workers ie drivers forkies pickers packers etc all us peasants who actually graft for a living carried on for the most part. Whilst often half or more of admin were missing on full pay. Funny how the job carried on just the same without all the box tickers.

Jim Callaghan was spot on.

Juddian:
Jim Callaghan was spot on.

To be fair…

Jim Callaghan wouldn’t have had a clue about working from home in the sense that we see now.

Both you and DCPCFML are right about everything else though.

bigdave789:

That line sums it up.