Advice please

Stuck in rdc for 4 hours
Looks like I’m going to go over my time (15 hours)

Do I finish getting tipped then park up at nearest safe parking place / services and explain on print out ,

Probably be going 1/2 hour over my time .

Not something that has happened to me before
Rdc blaming COVID short staff rubbish

Tell them you can’t move legally so you’re staying put. (I’m assuming you kept them appraised of your hours situation?).

If they try to force you to move, refuse. If they threaten to bring the police, smile sweetly and say “please do”.

Just to add; DO NOT get into a verbal argument with their staff. Remain poliite and courteous at all times. The law is on your side. It’s their problem, not yours.

Drop your trailer where it is even if they haven’t finished tipping it , let the shunter fanny around with it all night .
Leave site in your tractor unit and book off , go back in after your daily rest .

the maoster:
Tell them you can’t move legally so you’re staying put. (I’m assuming you kept them appraised of your hours situation?).

If they try to force you to move, refuse. If they threaten to bring the police, smile sweetly and say “please do”.

+1…

Curtains round, jim jams on and snuggle up with teddy bear.

If you do go over , don’t worry, it’s only an infringement at your base and sign it , DVSA won’t prosecute over this matter as you are not committing tachograph fraud but if you have to go over 15 , leave the card in , don’t move without your card in .

Thanks for advice all ,
No trailer as I drive a rigid .
But suddenly when I say I am pulling out ( politely and explain the hours situation) as I have been on site for 4 hours
2 hours waiting for a bay and 2 hours on a bay
Hey presto tipped checked and paperwork signed and released off bay in 25 mins ! Unbelievable!

Just makes my day hard for tomorrow now
Hey ho no stress - just don’t like the thought of running after hours .

Let’s see what tomorrow brings
No rdc’s so there’s a bonus

Tarmaceater:
If you do go over , don’t worry, it’s only an infringement at your base and sign it , DVSA won’t prosecute over this matter as you are not committing tachograph fraud but if you have to go over 15 , leave the card in , don’t move without your card in .

No his company should of acted on him telling them he was running out of hours & either pulled him out or got someone else to tip the load , as the magistrate said when I was in court , your company has a duty of care to you , you have informed them of the situation via calls / txts & they have not acted on those requests for help , that is not acceptable , you should not of been left in this situation
His company assuming he has informed them of the situation have failed in there duty of care to him , he should never have been in this situation
His planners or boss,s job is not just to dish out work but sort problems as they arise , they’ve had hours to sort the situation out but done sfa it seems
Nb when I had my disciplinary the manager bloke claimed it was all down to me , but the complience officer / hr tore him one as I guess they’d seen a transcript of what was said in court , & they repeated the judges words , we had a duty of care to our employee & you & your planners failed miserably , he shouldn’t of took his card out but he should never of been put in that situation in the first place , when he rang / txts your team should of acted , not ignored the situation , and the same applies here I hope this driver has not just rang but txted , as it’s good evidence , judge read my 5/6 txts & was shaking his head , asked me why there was no reply to these requests or phone call , not happy
As I say this driver should never of been in this situation in the first place

Happy Trucker1:
Stuck in rdc for 4 hours
Looks like I’m going to go over my time (15 hours)

Do I finish getting tipped then park up at nearest safe parking place / services and explain on print out ,

Probably be going 1/2 hour over my time .

Not something that has happened to me before
Rdc blaming COVID short staff rubbish

No you should of been out of there with time to park up within your hours , if your company did not act on you informing them of the situation then you should of made Rdc aware you were pulling out at x time so you can park up within your hours
Last time I had this I informed company I had to be out of rdc by 19.30 to get parked up within my hours , they then informed Tesco who got me tipped to get out gate by 19.30 , but I made it clear to company / Tesco that I would be exiting gate at 19.30 whatever ( fair dos , the company / Tesco acted on that ) .
I also in the end refused to take a load in with less than 3 hrs work time , any
Less no , 3 hrs was fine but odd times ( Tesco Thurrock ) required me to be pulled out or Tesco told to get a move on or load / 1/2 load was comming out
I wasn’t militant , just firm , no if / buts at x time I’m pulling out , to be fair they’d get me tipped by then , but if you go at it half hearted theyl have you there way past when you should be

Like I say problem resolved
But some good advice if this arises again .

Tbf our company are pretty good with this kind of thing .
It just seems some of these rdc’s are untouchable and have been for years .
They seem to have an excuse now in the form of COVID ( short staff/isolation blah blah
By the way it wasn’t just me sweating on time there were a few others chewing the fat so to speak .

Some good points there Dozy and there is nothing worse when a planner has stitched me up and when it all goes wrong they turn off their phone and have gone home and nobody in the office .

Tarmaceater:

You’re breaking the law. It’s not the going over the 15, it’s having insufficient daily rest and yes they do prosecute over this - they may turn a blind eye to a few minutes and give you a slap on the wrist, half an hour they won’t. Get stopped any time in the next 28 days at a checkpoint and when they download your card it’s bye-bye a day’s wage at the least.

dozy:

Tarmaceater:

No his company should of acted on him telling them he was running out of hours & either pulled him out or got someone else to tip the load , as the magistrate said when I was in court , your company has a duty of care to you , you have informed them of the situation via calls / txts & they have not acted on those requests for help , that is not acceptable , you should not of been left in this situation
His company assuming he has informed them of the situation have failed in there duty of care to him , he should never have been in this situation
His planners or boss,s job is not just to dish out work but sort problems as they arise , they’ve had hours to sort the situation out but done sfa it seems
Nb when I had my disciplinary the manager bloke claimed it was all down to me , but the complience officer / hr tore him one as I guess they’d seen a transcript of what was said in court , & they repeated the judges words , we had a duty of care to our employee & you & your planners failed miserably , he shouldn’t of took his card out but he should never of been put in that situation in the first place , when he rang / txts your team should of acted , not ignored the situation , and the same applies here I hope this driver has not just rang but txted , as it’s good evidence , judge read my 5/6 txts & was shaking his head , asked me why there was no reply to these requests or phone call , not happy
As I say this driver should never of been in this situation in the first place

You really are a walking disaster zone aren’t you!

If I look like running out of time on a remote bay, I’ll tell them I’ll be overnighting on it if they don’t pull their finger out…
I’m usually out of there within 15 minutes following that… :smiling_imp:

Had a friend in this situation was amazon actually, he gave them amble warnings however amazon were not happy his unit was uncoupled a couple inches as per policy

However he told me he didn’t get much sleep as the shunters were blasting the horn every so often just to make things awkward they did put cones around him though :smiley:

15 posts in and not one mention of chalk yet ■■? Standards are slipping around here. :unamused:

Conor:
You’re breaking the law. It’s not the going over the 15, it’s having insufficient daily rest and yes they do prosecute over this - they may turn a blind eye to a few minutes and give you a slap on the wrist, half an hour they won’t. Get stopped any time in the next 28 days at a checkpoint and when they download your card it’s bye-bye a day’s wage at the least.

Conor, this isn’t actually true. If stopped and the offence is current, then yes £100 I believe (for over 15 minutes, less than an hour insufficient rest). However, for historical offences within the last 28 days it depends what other offences have been recorded. One historical one of this level would not attract a fixed penalty on its own if stopped. It is actually FOUR total (historical or current) at this level of severity for the fines to be levied. You actually need to work quite hard (in a 28 day period) to be in a position to get fined for historical offences.