Class 1 and class 2 pay

jcole2696:
Hi everyone ,

I’m currently a class 2 drover earning £22500 and I’m thinking of leaving my job.

I’ve seen that £30k-£35k seems to be average for class 2 and £40k - £50k is the average for class 1

I’m thinking of doing my class 1 but just wanted to make sure it’s actually worth doing.

Any advise and insight would be much appreciated.

You’re obviously not in Scotland then. No driver shortage up here, because “£40k - £50k” average for class 1 is complete fantasy up here. I just read on another thread that class 1 drivers at Mitchells in Grangemouth are on £9.65 per hour. I know that A.D. Logistics in Linwood are paying £9.90 per hour for class 1. W.H. Malcolm next door are paying slightly more but not much. I applied for a class 1 job today, £10.50 per hour but have since decided it’s not for me. I would take your average figures with a massive pinch of salt. How many hours are people working for that sort of money? Does it include night out money? Does it include unachievable bonuses?
A quick play with the calculator tells me that if you work 60 hours per week, every week for 52 weeks of the year, at £15 per hour, you will get about £45k…