Overhead electric trucks on the way

Guardian website is saying govemnet has announced planes to electrify a 12 mile section of the m180 for overhead cables for electric trucks
From the guardian so must have some creadability.

But to do it for 12 miles seems a bit pointless to me really.
Then there’s issue if overhead power becomes a thing. We’d all need training on how it works. And I’d want a pay wise as I’m not a train driver

Also looks like Daf are partnering with the NHS for electric battery trucks. Current model Daf electrics leave a lot to be desired, wonder what they’ll be like once the whole thing is electric?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

It’ll…

Never pick up.

possibly my worst ever but i really dont care

Can only imagine the mess when the knitting gets dragged down and a car gets wrapped up in it all.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I read this and it didn’t make much sense to me. Unless it runs between two specific points and uses dedicated vehicles then there doesn’t seem to be much point in it.

Now I am showing my age. Did we not have buses that used overhead cables. They were called Trolley Buses :open_mouth:

lizard:
Can only imagine the mess when the knitting gets dragged down and a car gets wrapped up in it all.

Assuming they are using a pantograph system like trains and considering every so often a broken train will cause serious line damage closing a line…oh this could be fun. I assume trains are more highly regulated in maintainance than trucks or other road users.

If there’s a crash, thos will be kuch worse than just need to resurface the road. I hope they thought about safety cutoffs when the lines come down else you’ll have emergency services unable to reach casualties until the electrician arrives.

From 2019.
power-technology.com/news/g … of%20Hesse.
Hybrid trucks, won’t be stranded in case of electric failure. Lines only over one lane.
Daresay they will have thought of lots of issues, although you can’t say every eventuality is planned for, hence trials, not roll outs.

Just been reading about this in Commercial fleet news. commercialfleet.org/news/tr … uck-trials

Harry Monk:
I read this and it didn’t make much sense to me. Unless it runs between two specific points and uses dedicated vehicles then there doesn’t seem to be much point in it.

Maybe they could lay down a couple of steel lines on the road surface at the same time for these trucks to run on, save having to steer them? It’s a radical idea, not sure if done before? :bulb:

DCPCFML:

Harry Monk:

Maybe they could lay down a couple of steel lines on the road surface at the same time for these trucks to run on, save having to steer them? It’s a radical idea, not sure if done before? :bulb:

The locals near me are already complaining about the future if freight by rail into DIRFT. The noise is unbearable overnight they say. What they need to do is sort some placards put, put on a compo face and get the local paper to photograph them. That’ll sort it :laughing:

The 1920’s rang it wants it’s design back

youtu.be/wcgmZ0ZIQvA

My Scalextrix was a right PITA when I had to pick the fluff out of the contacts. If I’m going to be expected to climb onto the roof of my Gigamegahyperspacecab to do the same I’m going to wanting at least another 50p an hour more!

commonrail:
https://youtu.be/wcgmZ0ZIQvA

Russia was hoping to capitalise on producing huge quantities of hydrogen using their vast natural gas deposits, But the latest emission standards news from the EU/UK is a carbon border tax on anything with emissions that come from countries with less stricter emission standards than the EU/UK. Blue hydrogen is sometimes described as ‘low-carbon hydrogen’ as the steam reforming process doesn’t actually avoid the creation of greenhouse gases, The output is hydrogen – but also carbon dioxide as a by-product so will carry tariffs making it expensive. euractiv.com/section/energy … order-tax/

Just what we need to add to the mix of a high speed remote and often congested traffic expressway…Live electricity :laughing:

I predict carnage, especially as your average HGV driver cannot make it under a bridge without carnage on a regular basis :laughing:

Put cars into the mix swerving for that last minute exit from the junction and it will all end very badly, unless you reduce the speed limits to say 40MPH, which would also cut down on pollution and add to the zero carbon stuff…Mmmm, perhaps they will do it, make the motorway safer, reduce pollution for all and everyone will be happy, or as I suspect, asleep.

I could understand the idea of battery powered trucks coming in the very near future and having sections for Motorway or major A roads with overhead cables where they could charge the batteries without stopping, now that would really make good sense…

They cannot even fix pot holes so this is pie in the sky to me.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

This is shocking.

the maoster:
My Scalextrix was a right PITA when I had to pick the fluff out of the contacts. If I’m going to be expected to climb onto the roof of my Gigamegahyperspacecab to do the same I’m going to wanting at least another 50p an hour more!

50p? Wow, your taking the Michael … you should do it for free a free light bar or frilly curtains.