Well, that was - interesting

Minding my own business on the A11 towards Thetford, just past Barton Mills this afternoon. It was raining. White BMW 1-Series passes me and, moments later, suddenly does a full 360 spin incorporating a head-on collision with the centre barrier. I brought my “thundering juggernaut” to a rapid controlled stop, and the Sainsbury’s driver behind did the same but came alongside me, thus effectively closing the carriageway completely. A somewhat shell-shocked young lady got out of the BMW wondering WTF had just happened - Apparently her dashboard warning lights all came on like a Christmas tree and the world started spinning. I think a major failure in the engine/transmission caused the rear wheels to lock up. Anyway, I got the car onto the verge and the Sainsbury driver soon had the bonnet open to disconnect the battery (bad move - the battery’s under the boot in the 1-Series) as there was a fair amount of magic smoke escaping. I think it was actually coolant.

But anyway, after several confirmations that she really was uninjured (although clearly shocked/upset), and having made sure she knew exactly where she was, we left her to arrange help from parents/police and drove off, releasing the trapped traffic. Job done.

The man, the myth, the legend…
but were you wearing hi-vis?

Of course not! No need as by the time I got out of the cab the traffic was stationary.

Seen more small/mid size Mercs than any other make crashed into central barriers over the last year or so, spring rains 2 within a few miles of each other on the M11, but the same problem would apply to small/mid range Beemers and other not particularly heavy cars but with wide low profiles.

Ok my theory, unnecessarily wide tyres problem exacerbated if they are getting a bit worn (and may well be cheap unheard of tyres to boot, seen it too many times), cars tend to be driven quite quickly and usually in the outside lane, front tyre finds a not particularly deep pool of standing water, result not always aquaplaning though this is possible, but the tyre is effectively being braked on one side front wheel by water displacing friction and you’ve today seen the result.

Well done for stopping and making sure the lady was OK.

A colleague of mine got a letter if thanks from the police for assistance in very similar circumstances.

From work he got suspended then given a final written warning for “causing unnecessary risk to safety” :unamused:

Noremac:
The man, the myth, the legend…
but were you wearing hi-vis?

You only neeed to wear it at the yard and while driving.

I remember some nasty spots on the a11 when raining last christmas. Bad enough to make my (empty) trailer feel like it was aquaplanning…

As a biker, I’m only too well aware that one of the hidden dangers of driving is a sharp downpour after a long dry spell; instant skidpan, it’s worse than black ice cos most drivers aren’t expecting it…

The one thing that does boil my pee is drivers switching on their rear fog lamps in rain, thinking that this alone allows them to drive at the same speed as they would in the dry.

Well done to OP. Many would have just driven past, having made sure they got a pic on their phone to post on Facebook.

Juddian:
…but the same problem would apply to small/mid range Beemers and other not particularly heavy cars but with wide low profiles.

Glad they got out although suspect they won’t like their next insurance quote. Could get really nasty if there was something like that coming behind.

Never driven one myself, but am told they are really nice to drive with light power steering and well-balanced due to rear wheel drive, but wonder if that takes some of the road feel thus you don’t know its going wrong until its gone badly wrong?

Do rear wheel drive and low profile tyres act on water like they do on snow? Ie, crap. Used to see so many spinning off in ■■■■■■■ when it snowy or icy.

I personally wouldn’t leave a women/ girl at the side of a road , I’d of stopped with her until the coppers ( assume called ) arrived ,
We came ( mrs & me ) came upon a young girl broke down on a52 at Bingham , we stayed with her until her dad arrived from notts , bloke couldn’t be more thankful , no way could I leave a young girl stood there on her own , not these days , just don’t know who’s about , never forgive myself if I later found out something had happened to her

My neighbour had a close call a few years ago driving his Vauxhall Corsa when the replacement alternator fitted by myself started overcharging after a few weeks and the electric power steering then locked solid on a right hand bend, luckily being a former HGV driver he didn’t panic but it could have been nasty for some drivers. Alternator was proved to be faulty and replaced under warranty.

Pete.

Did you not ask for her phone number? :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Well done for helping out

Roymondo:
Minding my own business on the A11 towards Thetford, just past Barton Mills this afternoon. It was raining. White BMW 1-Series passes me and, moments later, suddenly does a full 360 spin incorporating a head-on collision with the centre barrier. I brought my “thundering juggernaut” to a rapid controlled stop, and the Sainsbury’s driver behind did the same but came alongside me, thus effectively closing the carriageway completely. A somewhat shell-shocked young lady got out of the BMW wondering WTF had just happened - Apparently her dashboard warning lights all came on like a Christmas tree and the world started spinning. I think a major failure in the engine/transmission caused the rear wheels to lock up. Anyway, I got the car onto the verge and the Sainsbury driver soon had the bonnet open to disconnect the battery (bad move - the battery’s under the boot in the 1-Series) as there was a fair amount of magic smoke escaping. I think it was actually coolant.

But anyway, after several confirmations that she really was uninjured (although clearly shocked/upset), and having made sure she knew exactly where she was, we left her to arrange help from parents/police and drove off, releasing the trapped traffic. Job done.

Series 1 bmw’s timing chains are pants,it probably imploded and siezed the motor up,glad she is ok.

Beetlejuice:

Roymondo:

Series 1 bmw’s timing chains are pants,it probably imploded and siezed the motor up,glad she is ok.

N47 diesel engine 1.6 and 2.0 as fitted to 1, 3, and 5 series?

dozy:
We came ( mrs & me ) came upon a young girl broke down on a52 at Bingham

You did what now………?

trevHCS:

Juddian:
…but the same problem would apply to small/mid range Beemers and other not particularly heavy cars but with wide low profiles.

Glad they got out although suspect they won’t like their next insurance quote. Could get really nasty if there was something like that coming behind.

Never driven one myself, but am told they are really nice to drive with light power steering and well-balanced due to rear wheel drive, but wonder if that takes some of the road feel thus you don’t know its going wrong until its gone badly wrong?

Do rear wheel drive and low profile tyres act on water like they do on snow? Ie, crap. Used to see so many spinning off in ■■■■■■■ when it snowy or icy.

I’ve had a number of old school Mercs mainly E Classes, sensibly tyred never had a moments grip issue with them, poor tyre choice and they can be tail happy in the wet though, i experimented once never again.

Daughter had a 3 series Beemer, utterly bloody terrifying in the damp, despite apparently having some form of TC it would easily chuck the arse end out without any provocation on a damp road, i slung the tyres that were on the back (some cheapo Chinese tat) and put on a pair of Vredestein Ultracs which cured the issue and then some.

People and their tyre choices (the episode here may have been nothing to do with grip issues) leave me baffled often enough, spend tens of thousands on some flying machine drive it like they stole it but when it comes round to new tyres…the only point of contact with the road… run them right down to the bare legal minimum then cheapest you’ve got in stock mate :unamused:

New cars tyres often only have 7mm of tread new, if you have a 235 section summer design tyre with only more or less straight line grooves and a light car they ain’t going to shift a lot of water before lifting off the road, go back not many years and a 185 section (Granada etc, probably heavier at the front than many moderns) was a wide tyre.

switchlogic:

dozy:

You did what now………?

Your wasting your time with that quip, he probably thinks a bukakke party is where everyone gets together to make cakes.

the maoster:

switchlogic:

dozy:

You did what now………?

Your wasting your time with that quip, he probably thinks a bukakke party is where everyone gets together to make cakes.

I’m just naturally optimistic