Possible Beer Shortage Next Week

XPO delivery drivers hold strike ballot over ‘paltry’ pay offer.
https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-events/news/2021/july/beer-drought-on-cards-as-xpo-delivery-drivers-hold-strike-ballot-over-paltry-pay-offer/

I’m ok as I am teetotal.

Ken.

The xpo ( ex k&n ) driver I spoke to a while ago wasn’t ■■■■■■ off about his own wages so much , think it was £13 something , it was more the fact the agency at his place ( notts / derby area ) were on £19 /£20 ph , he said he brought this up with his boss who said there not guaranteed work , but according to this driver they were , he said the union had told him ( his rep / shop steward or what ever they call them now ) that they would be getting a substantial pay rise , and if they didn’t they would be taking action
When I asked how much he’d loose a day when on strike , he changed the subject

dozy:
The xpo ( ex k&n ) driver I spoke to a while ago wasn’t ■■■■■■ off about his own wages so much , think it was £13 something , it was more the fact the agency at his place ( notts / derby area ) were on £19 /£20 ph , he said he brought this up with his boss who said there not guaranteed work , but according to this driver they were , he said the union had told him ( his rep / shop steward or what ever they call them now ) that they would be getting a substantial pay rise , and if they didn’t they would be taking action
When I asked how much he’d loose a day when on strike , he changed the subject

This is true. I do some for XPO (KNDL) at Cas and it’s £19-22/hr through the agency.

This is the dray crews and not the primary drivers,although they are the same company (allegedly)they have separate bargaining/pay talks even though it’s the same Union.

If they do vote to strike(Drays)they all stick together guaranteed so it’ll be national…

XPO is the most tight-■■■ company I’ve ever worked for

Xpo at Leigh use a lot of agency drivers on more money that permenant lads.
And some seem be in there permenant. Some decent agency lads have been offered permenant jobs. But refuse them due to fact thed be taking a pay cut.
Have never understood companies that. Use agency staff long term and pay over the odds for them

edd1974:
And some seem be in there permenant. Some decent agency lads have been offered permenant jobs. But refuse them due to fact thed be taking a pay cut.
Have never understood companies that. Use agency staff long term and pay over the odds for them

No no no…
This is how the game is played. Company’s shareholders baulk at the suggestion of increasing wages for the staff but when the argument is put forward that it’s costing them more to use agency, they justify it by saying it’s just a temporary increase in workload and once the work level returns to normal, the agency drivers will be gone :smiley: . Of course, those agency drivers who have been around the block a bit know that most of these places can’t organise a ■■■■-up in a brewery so the “temporary” uptick in work becomes a permanent fixture as a result of their useless job planning in the transport office. After a while it just becomes accepted to have a bunch of full-time “temporary” agency drivers in all the time. And the full-time permies hate it as they’re doing the same job for half the money :laughing: . I know a couple of places where the “temporary” agency drivers have been there longer than the longest permies :laughing: .

edd1974:
. Use agency staff long term and pay over the odds for them

It balances out you’re not paying pension sick holidays etc

The agency driver can sit at home for 10 days after being pinged and you’re not paying for him.

It’s not a beer shortage it’ll be a keg in pubs shortage it’s the drays that are threatening strike

And I thought this post was a warning from Weeto that he’s going on the mother of all pub crawls at the weekend and will drink the country dry.

DCPCFML:

edd1974:

No no no…
This is how the game is played. Company’s shareholders baulk at the suggestion of increasing wages for the staff but when the argument is put forward that it’s costing them more to use agency, they justify it by saying it’s just a temporary increase in workload and once the work level returns to normal, the agency drivers will be gone :smiley: . Of course, those agency drivers who have been around the block a bit know that most of these places can’t organise a ■■■■-up in a brewery so the “temporary” uptick in work becomes a permanent fixture as a result of their useless job planning in the transport office. After a while it just becomes accepted to have a bunch of full-time “temporary” agency drivers in all the time. And the full-time permies hate it as they’re doing the same job for half the money :laughing: . I know a couple of places where the “temporary” agency drivers have been there longer than the longest permies :laughing: .

I’m agency and we been told not to brag about what we been paid to the core drivers or we get banned from site. Our work is full time never get cancelled and the terms and conditions are so much better than the full timers and we get offered full time positions and no one takes them up.

I do wonder how they can justify it

Quinny:
I’m ok as I am teetotal.

Ken.

Same as, but come on this could ruin marriages, I imagine many blokes need a good drink to do their bloaters

:laughing: