Fridge work - newbie question

Hi there,

Totally new to fridge work, most of the stuff has been explained to me by fellow workers at the place I’m starting but I haven’t been fully explained on how to secure the load.

I understand it’s tension bars (poles) that go across the trailer but what I’m wondering is how do I best secure the load? Is it one bar per 4 pallets or however the food gets loaded or is there a better way to do it?

Also when you back in to the bay you won’t seem to have access to the trailer therefore is it just the case of when loaded you pull forward and then jump in and secure your load? Is there enough space to do this?

These questions might seem silly I understand but it’s a new world to me coming from car transporting to fridges.

Any help and tips are appreciated!

Typically the loaders will place a bar halfway down the load, followed by 2 at the back. After each delivery its normally the case that you have to pull forward and replace the two bars on the back

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
Typically the loaders will place a bar halfway down the load, followed by 2 at the back. After each delivery its normally the case that you have to pull forward and replace the two bars on the back

Thanks for the reply, so typically the loaders will also secure these for you is that correct… and when you refer to replacing the two bars on the back what do you mean by this?

The tail end, the one bit you can see from the doors [emoji106]

As in the pic

stuwozere1:
As in the pic

That picture certainly helps, so because the front pallets/cages are against the head board they are pretty secure, you put bars in the middle to secure that area and the two at the back and overall that makes the load pretty secure?

Yeah, our place use 4 bars but we can use a minimum of 3. That’s more company policy though rather than any sort of legality. We do supermarket work so have a mix of cages and pallets

stuwozere1:
Yeah, our place use 4 bars but we can use a minimum of 3. That’s more company policy though rather than any sort of legality. We do supermarket work so have a mix of cages and pallets

I do fresh fruit / veg out of Evesham to wholesale suppliers and some supermarkets…

Generally speaking if you load up at a place or drop a part load off they will put your bars across for you but when you pull off the bay to close the doors jump inside and check…

Make sure all the bars are there firstly, it’s common for bars to be left behind in docks,

If you have the ratchet tension type bars give them a tug and make sure they are secure.

I always have a pump truck wedged in my back pallet, if you have the same make sure that goes back on as your gaffer won’t be happy if you lose that (trust me on that one :unamused:)

To add to all the above.

If you end up in the situation where you’ve got an odd number of loaded pallets, so you’ve got one pallet on it’s own and nothing at the side of it you have two options:

1. Ask them for a stack of empties to put alongside the pallet:

2. Ask for two pallets, put one upright against the loaded pallet with it’s bottom in contact with the pallet and the slats on the top of the empty pallet being horizontal and then using the second pallet on an angle with one side of it against the floor and wall and the other end sat in one of the gaps between the slats on the upright pallet to act as a kind of wedge.

Conor:
To add to all the above.

If you end up in the situation where you’ve got an odd number of loaded pallets, so you’ve got one pallet on it’s own and nothing at the side of it you have two options:

1. Ask them for a stack of empties to put alongside the pallet:

2. Ask for two pallets, put one upright against the loaded pallet with it’s bottom in contact with the pallet and the slats on the top of the empty pallet being horizontal and then using the second pallet on an angle with one side of it against the floor and wall and the other end sat in one of the gaps between the slats on the upright pallet to act as a kind of wedge.

Number 2 is a great and simple option if you are dealing with low or medium height pallets… But if you have a full height pallet of water melons you will have issues… I would use 2 ratchet bars vertically and 1 or 2 spring or cup bars across the back…

It all depends on what your daily work is, if it’s varied work it pays to have a varied mix of bars and a ratchet strap or 2… But if your new ask a fellow driver, tell him your new to the game, it’s best to ask and feel like a bit of a noob rather than have to phone the office to tell them you have a rejected load of 26 pallets that are the wrong way up… We have all been there lol

Most importantly drive it like you would if it was you who had to restack any fallen pallets.

That’s how I’ve done it for years.

Remember now you have come off car transporters on to fridges you have made it in life…

Other drivers will look at with envy as you swan around like some kind of god :sunglasses:

spike78:
Remember now you have come off car transporters on to fridges you have made it in life…

Other drivers will look at with envy as you swan around like some kind of god :sunglasses:

Or…when you`re driving your fridges, other drivers are asleep or enjoying bank holidays and week-ends off? :smiley:

Franglais:

spike78:

Or…when you`re driving your fridges, other drivers are asleep or enjoying bank holidays and week-ends off? :smiley:

Or…

When the curtainsider drivers have been pulled and busted for not putting 12 straps over two empty pallets.

CPCxx:

stuwozere1:

Thanks for the reply, so typically the loaders will also secure these for you is that correct… and when you refer to replacing the two bars on the back what do you mean by this?

Don’t rely on loaders securing it for you as if it goes over it’ll be you they throw under the bus. Just pull off bay, park up and jump in to secure

spike78:
[
Make sure all the bars are there firstly, it’s common for bars to be left behind in docks,

[

This is a very good point. Personally I back most of way on to bay, stop to take all bars out and leave beside trailer on ground. That way you never have any problems with theft or misplacing

:smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

spike78:

Or…

When the curtainsider drivers have been pulled and busted for not putting 12 straps over two empty pallets.

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

spike78:

Or…

And the amount of new friends you will make, every night when you park up.

biggriffin:
And the amount of new friends you will make, every night when you park up.

Being a fridge dragger who’s not dragging fridges at the minute - I don’t mind parking beside one at night . I like the sound of a Carrier or a Thermoking singing its song all night long .