The Army being called in

Maybe we’ll get a little more respect for what we do in the coming weeks

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2021/ … e-deepens/

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

It’s a really, really, really simple solution staring them right in the face; stop undercutting in order to gather more crap contracts that result in the square root of eff all profits, and pay higher rates to those who actually earn you the money as opposed to those who drain your finances. Employ enough staff at delivery points to ensure quick turnaround times and stop ■■■■■■■■ to the Government about a problem of your own creation! And breathe.

As an aside, if I was still a serving soldier my attitude would be: “ screw you, you deem it fit to send me off on illegal wars whilst expecting my family to live in squalid camp conditions, and upon my return you’ll wash your hands of me and leave me with my demons to sleep in shop doorways whilst putting the very scum I fought at your bidding in 5 star hotels! well screw you! :imp:

Excellent, presumably the pointy shoes calling for this will pay the army the correct haulage rates, or do they expect this to be a cheap (free paid for by the taxpayer?) publicity stunt in order to lobby our clown prime minister into allowing whoever in who will do the job at the wage levels they want to pay.

Funny how those companies who pay proper wages and treat their staff decently don’t have any staffing issues, yet manage to turn decent profits.

Might be worth these operators that are struggling looking at their productive staff numbers compared with admin/management, many places you go they’re top heavy with staff with no real job who have to come up with all sorts of ■■■■■■■■ to justify their continued employment.

the maoster:
It’s a really, really, really simple solution staring them right in the face; stop undercutting in order to gather more crap contracts that result in the square root of eff all profits, and pay higher rates to those who actually earn you the money as opposed to those who drain your finances. Employ enough staff at delivery points to ensure quick turnaround times and stop ■■■■■■■■ to the Government about a problem of your own creation! And breathe.

As an aside, if I was still a serving soldier my attitude would be: “ screw you, you deem it fit to send me off on illegal wars whilst expecting my family to live in squalid camp conditions, and upon my return you’ll wash your hands of me and leave me with my demons to sleep in shop doorways whilst putting the very scum I fought at your bidding in 5 star hotels! well screw you! :imp:

The voice of reason. Good post

If this driver shortage thing HAS finally came true at last, to the point of the Army being called in :open_mouth: …(instead of it being media ■■■■■■■■ as for last few years) ,
Then the boot has suddenlly and finally changed to the other foot.

Call me militant, call me opportunist, call me wtf you like…but what a great time,.a golden opportunity to make a stand together, to get crap hourly rates, bloody ridiculous working hours,.and general terms and conditions in this job sorted at last eh?

#itllneverhappen. :unamused:

get the army in , bin off your agency , huge savings and bonus’s all round,order a new beamer , then some clot decides to go and have a shindig somewhere in the world , back to square 1.

robroy:
If this driver shortage thing HAS finally came true at last, to the point of the Army being called in :open_mouth: …(instead of it being media ■■■■■■■■ as for last few years) ,

Call me militant, call me opportunist, call me wtf you like…but what a great time,.a golden opportunity to make a stand together, to get crap hourly rates, bloody ridiculous working hours,.and general terms and conditions in this job sorted at last eh?

I honestly think it’s come to the point where we don’t even need to stand together. Even up here in Scotland the companies have put the money up a significant amount in the last week.

Roverman:

robroy:

I honestly think it’s come to the point where we don’t even need to stand together. Even up here in Scotland the companies have put the money up a significant amount in the last week.

Yep,.even my lot not famous for love and consideration to their drivers gave us a raise. :open_mouth: ,.I was referring more to general t.s and c.s.:
I just think that if it wasn’t for the assortment of pricks and clowns in the job who would gladly work 24 hour days if they could, we could maybe make a stand whereby some did not HAVE to work a week and a half’s hours in a week to make a living.
But as I say…fantasyland.

Being ex-forces and having one of the forces largest driver training schools 10 miles up the road the only thing calling in the army will do is mean even less stuff being delivered, as they’re both incapable of driving at any speed and reversing unaided, and even more bridge bashing and accidents. If anything the only thing bringing the army in will achieve is actual empty shelves in the shops and a realisation that we’re needed.

we have the same drivers who work extra shifts , bank holidays , run in, saying it’s the time everyone else stood up for themselves , but they won’t hold there breath , unbelievable

Flip-flops being allowed back in, in 3… 2… :bulb:

DCPCFML:

I think the RHA and it’s members may be in for a shock even if they get their wish as pay and conditions over in the EU have improved too, especially as the EU and especially good paying countries like Germany and France are experiencing the same issues getting drivers. Why come to the UK with all the hassle that that now involves now we’re not in the EU when you can go work for the same or even more money either in your own country or the one next door with none of the immigration hassle and being paid in the same currency you use at home?

Agree with Conor, genuinely don’t think asamy as before will come back.

The reason they came here was of our own (government) making anyway. The rest of the EU didn’t allow immigration for a period after new countries became eligible so as to protect their domestic market. But the UK opted out of it to allow it immediately :thumbsup:

Never mind, no doubt we’ll just get more as a result of flimsy trade deals from places further afield…

Now would be a great time for drivers to stick the knife in and to some degree hold their employer over a barrel, BUT there will be the drivers up to their eyeballs in debt who can’t do anything because they need 70 hours a week plus nights out, then there will be the wobble gobs who talk a good talk but that’s all and then there will be the ones that don’t need to work full time who can drop full time driving until things at least improve.

Juddian:
Excellent, presumably the pointy shoes calling for this will pay the army the correct haulage rates, or do they expect this to be a cheap (free paid for by the taxpayer?) publicity stunt in order to lobby our clown prime minister into allowing whoever in who will do the job at the wage levels they want to pay.

Funny how those companies who pay proper wages and treat their staff decently don’t have any staffing issues, yet manage to turn decent profits.

Might be worth these operators that are struggling looking at their productive staff numbers compared with admin/management, many places you go they’re top heavy with staff with no real job who have to come up with all sorts of ■■■■■■■■ to justify their continued employment.

Yup… The RHA are shouting about a shortage, because their paymasters can’t find cheapski driveski any more,so the stupid price they put in to get the contract, doesn’t work now,so fiance depts are getting nervous,… A company from Lincs, lost 75 drivers in two weeks when s/e rules changed.

If RHA get there way, next influx will be from the colonies, and look how they drive Ubers.

Conor:

DCPCFML:

I think the RHA and it’s members may be in for a shock even if they get their wish as pay and conditions over in the EU have improved too, especially as the EU and especially good paying countries like Germany and France are experiencing the same issues getting drivers. Why come to the UK with all the hassle that that now involves now we’re not in the EU when you can go work for the same or even more money either in your own country or the one next door with none of the immigration hassle and being paid in the same currency you use at home?

Let’s just say there’s a lot more chance of being asked to take a load across Europe by working in Euroland.

As opposed to the usual same old same old here of retail and building materials distribution.
Punctuated by the usual ‘‘any other duties as required’’ clause.
Because drivers are regarded as low skilled labourers with a driving licence.
Also UK wages aren’t much better combined with UK living costs.
Good luck with that.

dozy:
we have the same drivers who work extra shifts , bank holidays , run in, saying it’s the time everyone else stood up for themselves , but they won’t hold there breath , unbelievable

I know what you mean doze, unbelievable :unamused: … if you come across one, let me let me know who he is, and I’ll kick his head in. :smiley:

robbo99.:
Now would be a great time for drivers to stick the knife in and to some degree hold their employer over a barrel

If there really was a ‘driver shortage’ do you think that employers could get away with terms like ‘any other duties as required’’ and must have 2 years experience etc etc.
There’s supposedly a driver shortage but obviously not enough of a shortage for drivers not to be used as truck washers and warehouse labourers and applying the ‘experience’ matters hurdle to any even half decent job.

“With no government appetite to extend drivers’ hours or to put the role of delivery driver on the government’s shortage occupation list, there are already vulnerable communities that are at risk of facing food shortages.”

So this muppet thinks that the solution to the problem of nobody wanting to drive a truck for a living is a longer working day.

Harry Monk:
“With no government appetite to extend drivers’ hours or to put the role of delivery driver on the government’s shortage occupation list, there are already vulnerable communities that are at risk of facing food shortages.”

So this muppet thinks that the solution to the problem of nobody wanting to drive a truck for a living is a longer working day.

No he means selectively extend the working day so that drivers can be employed doing even more 'other duties as required, like warehouse labouring or truck washing for longer.
It doesn’t mean let’s allow larger trucks, to move more frieight further, more profitably, with lower fuel costs and a 10 hour driving limit, because that wouldn’t fit the anti truck pro rail agenda.
That’s why many ‘drivers’ have had it with the industry.It isn’t profitable enough nor productive enough therefore insufficient quality of work as a result, to be viable.
But still obviously not enough to create a real shortage.As opposed to a false scam with the intention of maintaining the status quo.