Foden Alpha2 420 Cummins

Have the chance to grab myself a decent enough old Foden Alpha, 420 ■■■■■■■■ Jake Brake, midlift, tipping gear, tidy example, ZF 'box, '04 plate.

Already have my International TM CPC, can get work for it not a bother, just wondering what the opinions are on these yokes? Reliable enough with the ■■■■■■■ stove? Fuel consumption? What is the support like with it being an obsolete old heap?

I’m a Scania man through and through but have always had a soft spot for old Fodens and ERFs , mate of a mate wants rid of his and it’s got me wanting it. Wife will beat me into a soggy mess if it sits on the drive with the other rusting heaps, working it makes everyone happy so any help is appreciated.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Have the chance to grab myself a decent enough old Foden Alpha, 420 ■■■■■■■■ Jake Brake, midlift, tipping gear, tidy example, ZF 'box, '04 plate.

Already have my International TM CPC, can get work for it not a bother, just wondering what the opinions are on these yokes? Reliable enough with the ■■■■■■■ stove? Fuel consumption? What is the support like with it being an obsolete old heap?

I’m a Scania man through and through but have always had a soft spot for old Fodens and ERFs , mate of a mate wants rid of his and it’s got me wanting it. Wife will beat me into a soggy mess if it sits on the drive with the other rusting heaps, working it makes everyone happy so any help is appreciated.

If your serious enough spend some money on it before you run it then spend some more once running it ,they do breath a bit heavy when the oil is ready for changing .
A good thing to do is keep plenty of parts in stock and in the cab .
Change all the hoses and the belt put the old ones under the bed .
■■■■■■■ parts have increased in cost massively in the last year but are still only as much as others in general.
Nearly all the parts are Daf ones even the starter motor is different to the Alpha 1 .

One of these will give you a reasonable idea about how well it has been maintained. Red & FZB?

cdsdiesels.co.uk/shop/dca-t … s-cc2602m/

It’s a ■■■■■■■ but not the 14 litre we all know.
420 from less than 11 litres is a gamble.

come round wellingborough way, there’s a whole fleet of green Foden alpha’s , 6 wheel rigids and 3 axle tractor units on waste water work and they range from an R plate to about a 53 plate , i’m an ERF / ■■■■■■■ geezer , but i’d use an Alpha with a ■■■■■■■■■■ bother, even now.

Jump onto the Foden and ERF enthusiasts page on FB, and look up a guy called Chris Maddison from Holmfirth. (facebook.com/groups/33916740475)

He runs an Alpha, with all the bells and whistles on, and it works 5 days a week going all over the place, and apart from the fact it is stunning, it never lets him down, but his maintenance is based on the fact nothing is left to chance.

Might be worth contacting him for first hand advice.

Ken.

facebook.com/groups/3391674 … 20maddison

A farm sale in Norfolk with a foden for sale, might get a few loads work with it :smiley:

edp24.co.uk/news/business/b … on-8065622