Driving and music?

How can listening to music affect driving behavior?

Scientists recently demonstrated that songs with certain BPM (beats per minute) levels influence drivers to engage in more risky behaviors while behind the wheel. This means that listening to certain types of music could actually increase the risk of car accidents.

Researchers concluded that more intense, fast rhythms can increase excitement levels, causing drivers to adjust the car’s speed to match the tempo of the music or drive more aggressively. On the other hand, slower songs could cause a person to relax too much and lose alertness. Thus, the ideal tempo for driving music should reflect the beat of a human heart at rest–between 60-80 beats per minute.

Hip-hop was especially dangerous for women who ended up driving more aggressively; heavy metal caused men to accelerate the most, and dance music affected women similarly. Classical music caused both genders to drive most erratically.

Wondering which type is “safe?” We’ve come to the conclusion that Downtempo might be a good choice.

Drifting mood, slow tempo and full, booming, powerful bass carried with the chill, groovy beats suit perfectly to a concentrating and secure, smooth, soft driving to work, countryside, or just heading nowhere enjoying time with yourself.

Be safe on the road and drive wisely.

Now of course our top speed is limited anyway but I was thinking hard, fast music might be causing drivers to brake late before a roundabout or drive through it at a faster than necessary speed and/or ■■■■ the acclerator pedal on the way out, tailgate etc.

Me personally I’ve noticed I’m more alert when listening to high tempo music (I drive nights so try to keep awake/alert with little or no traffic around can be a challenge) but I become more aggressive driver where as playing music that’s too slow gives me an urge to play mu usual fast-beat tracks. I did settle eventually on mid-tempo occasionally switching to high. Talks/podcasts are a no-no due to the monotony, maybe right after I’ve had a nap and a coffee and I’m fresh usually early morning hours; otherwise I find them very hypnotizing and sleepiness inducing.

Have you noticed the type of music/audio you listen to affect your driving behavior at work?

Never counted the BPM but these sounded better at 140 mph + on the A4 between Rheims and Stasbourg with a quick car.
youtube.com/watch?v=kCN2VlZNbXs

youtube.com/watch?v=_e698M9lYe0

Than this at 65 mph on the M1 with a truck.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHTDkJ-bQqM

But it was close. :wink: :smiley:

For truck driving I prefer Radio 4, but I can’t deny that if I’m doing motorway/dual carriageway driving in my car,some of the stuff on my CD player, such as this one, do tend to encourage me overtake more vehicles than R4 would :sunglasses:
And yes, the band did write this as a tribute to the 501st PIR’s defence of Bastogne, as depicted in Band of Brothers
youtube.com/watch?v=kJVkE14kjhE

Or this one - guaranteed to get me putting my foot down :slight_smile:
youtube.com/watch?v=T1gvNaC17B4

In my Foden…

The speakers blew up as I was listening to Black Betty by Ram Jam at volume 11, quite literally as I was passing the Ram Jam on the northbound A1.

Carryfast:
Never counted the BPM but these sounded better at 140 mph + on the A4 between Rheims and Stasbourg with a quick car.

OMG those 80’s/early 90s hairstyles :grimacing:

Carryfast:

Well the font of all knowledge has spoken end of topic

youtu.be/ar_saHB60qU

c’mon you 80’s lads its gotta be this one… 4 in the morning leaving the yard sun rise and had a cracking weekend this full blast cause your still a little under the influence… ahhh proper happy days… :sunglasses: :wink:

ETS:

Carryfast:

Ironically for the theory 3.14 - 3.47 is probably around 60 BPM and even what the Starship Enterprise would be playing on the ship’s radio… when they engage warp drive. :smiley:

robthedog:

Carryfast:

Well the font of all knowledge has spoken end of topic

More like France Gall ended the theory with 99 bpm v 130.

Although 116 bpm seems to be best for anything between 180 mph for an AMG Merc and 500 mph for an Me262. :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=sMBe6_mGQO8

You’d cover a fair distance with:

youtube.com/watch?v=l_Wi_MDYiVw

youtube.com/watch?v=QwvzeyI65xA

youtube.com/watch?v=iuHEjh0EhYo

youtube.com/watch?v=WId0WS48JgM

youtube.com/watch?v=etbzmEk6FTk

youtube.com/watch?v=OPPP3BXurHk

youtube.com/watch?v=G5x1F9ohRa4

youtube.com/watch?v=lrQICD4lZ4Y

youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

youtube.com/watch?v=x-G28iyPtz0

ETS:

Carryfast:

Watching that I’ve images of Carryfast in a cravat smoking a Gauloises sipping on an espresso before loudly abusing a french man for being a commie China sympathiser and jumping triumphantly into his Allegro with the Union flag on the roof and a speeding down the Autoroute with a broken speedo thinking a Renault 5 is overtaking him at 150mph

cav551:

youtube.com/watch?v=l_Wi_MDYiVw

One of the best songs of all time that imo.

My favourite driving albums are either Black Tie White Noise by David Bowie, or Reality by David Bowie. Jump They Say by Bowie my most favouritist tuneage of all time. And Reality from Reality another.

youtu.be/xPZWgCLMsW8 with its iconic video

youtu.be/4LbbQWzWfuI I saw him live on the Reality tour. One of best nights of my life, feels like yesterday, not decades ago

switchlogic:

ETS:

Carryfast:

Watching that I’ve images of Carryfast in a cravat smoking a Gauloises sipping on an espresso before loudly abusing a french man for being a commie China sympathiser and jumping triumphantly into his Allegro with the Union flag on the roof and a speeding down the Autoroute with a broken speedo thinking a Renault 5 is overtaking him at 150mph

You do know that British Leyland made some reasonably quick rwd V12 powered cars as well as Allegros. :smiley:
The French are obviously good at designing decent looking female musicians also thereby disproving the theory that speed is proportional to the tempo of what’s playing on the radio as a soundtrack.
Although in the case of Alizee it helps but shame that you couldn’t watch her music videos while driving at that speed though even if we’d have had VHS car video players. :laughing:

cav551:

You’re right about the Cranberries and James often part of the soundtrack Feltham/Luton/Dewsbury and back at the blazing speed of 90 kmh on the flat combined with typical Merc V6 hill climbing speed. :laughing:

151 beats per minute obviously no speed limit on the M1 then. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=zFQYR19FVx8

145 bpm.Maybe the theory is credible after all.
:smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=wL7LaOVIyXU

144 BPM. :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=0afgQSofn4U

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

ETS:

Carryfast:

You do know that British Leyland made some reasonably quick rwd V12 powered cars as well as Allegros. :smiley:
The French are obviously good at designing decent looking female musicians also thereby disproving the theory that speed is proportional to the tempo of what’s playing on the radio as a soundtrack.
Although in the case of Alizee it helps but shame that you couldn’t watch her music videos while driving at that speed though even if we’d have had VHS car video players. :laughing:

The only Alizee I’m interested in is called Van Hool, and probably a bit old for you knowing your preference for youngsters

There are two songs at the opposite end of the scale which I cannot listen to while driving, because I simply can’t see any more.

The first is from the film of the same name which is supposed to be a reflection on the life of the second artist; the incomparable Janis whose greatest hit was only recorded shortly before her death.

youtube.com/watch?v=oR6okRuOLc8

youtube.com/watch?v=sfjon-ZTqzU