Roundabout: who goes first?

This is one of my old peeves, I remember arguing with my instructor about it. He said if I’m about to enter a r/bout and a car is fast approaching but further away from the r/bout I should stop and let it go first because being a slower vehicle I would otherwise cause him to stop. I argued I was closer to the roundabout so I could drive in and then technically I would already be inside so he would have to give way to traffic already there as he would be 2nd to enter even if going faster due to distance

like so

Imagine the car being 1-2 trucklenghts before the give way lane, while the artic is almost touching it but the car is coming fast 30-40mph. If you’re the artic would you stop or go and make him slow down properly before entering the roundabout as he should?

Very simple - if entering would cause another to change speed or direction then wait

There is also a reasonable argument for causing another to reduce speed slightly if the situation is such that you would be waiting for a very long time

ROG:
Very simple - if entering would cause another to change speed or direction then wait

There is also a reasonable argument for causing another to reduce speed slightly if the situation is such that you would be waiting for a very long time

Ok what if you’re going at 15-20mph or so but then out of the blind bend a maniac in a BMW approaches apparently going straight or right (your paths will cross) so you COULD stop but then you might have to do some pallet re-stacking?

The way I look at it, If the car driver is approaching the roundabout at high speed he is driving recklessly, all drivers should approach roundabouts with a bit of care. If I enter the roundabout while he is still say 10-20m away at speed, that’s his tough ■■■■■ and he needs to slow down. If he is already at the roundabout, id wait, but if he isn’t there I’m pulling out.

Only enter when safe to do so , Thats judgement comes with experience. Now with my former DVSA Grade A hat on I would teach give way to approaching traffic from the right at mini roundabouts but access the speed of approaching traffic at standard roundabout meaning: speed, weight, road conditions but again if its Foot Down Friday and I no longer wear my DVSA hat crack on.

miketdt:
Only enter when safe to do so ,

Yeah but that’s my point too which I didn’t make very clear in my 1st post. It’s those ambiguous situations where say you’re creeping towards it, the roundabout itself is clear and there’s no one in sight coming from your right (the road feeding into the r/bout that is) you’re aaaaalmost in then WROOOM a car or sometimes truck comes in, high speed, no intention of slowing down - you only have a second to react - harsh brake with all due consequences or go for it knowing you’ll 100% cause the other vehicle to slow down drastically once inside the roundabout?

There seriously needs to be a speed limit (20) on roundabouts, some car drivers must be doing nearly 40 mph on the bigger roundabouts. That and a massive haircut for all the vegetation so that you can actually see the traffic entering from straight ahead, which will be upon you and doing 40 by the time you’ve got just the unit across the give way line.

Highway Code rule 146.
Be prepared for traffic emerging…
A car speeding around a roundabout, isn’t doing that…
If you can’t see him, then he can’t see you. So he must be driving too fast around a blind bend. ■■

I have Memories of something in the driving test, no idea if it’s still current, about
“Failing to slow down at junctions of m9nor importance”
Meaning although you may have priority you shout still slow down.

Last week was speeding, this week it’s roundabouts, what next week, how to fasten Hi-viz.

biggriffin:
Last week was speeding, this week it’s roundabouts, what next week, how to fasten Hi-viz.

Next week is a lesson in how to ignore things that don’t interest you.
Wonder what the attendance figures will be?

Franglais:
If you can’t see him, then he can’t see you. So he must be driving too fast around a blind bend. ■■

Nonsense. 1st the car is coming from a road feeding into the roundabout 2nd I may not have as good a view onto his road as he does onto his right so seeing there’s nothing on his right he feels he has no one to give way to hence proceeds without slowing down. Heck I do it all the time in my car except when there’s queuing traffic to the front I’ll slow down to give them a chance to enter the r/bout

ETS:

Franglais:

Nonsense. 1st the car is coming from a road feeding into the roundabout 2nd I may not have as good a view onto his road as he does onto his right so seeing there’s nothing on his right he feels he has no one to give way to hence proceeds without slowing down. Heck I do it all the time in my car except when there’s queuing traffic to the front I’ll slow down to give them a chance to enter the r/bout

You’ve misunderstood what I wrote.
(Or attempted to write)

I believe a word was removed from the Highway Code since I took a driving test.

Give way to the IMMEDIATE Right on a roundabout. I also believe that the maximum speed limit on an urban roundabout is already 30mph, designated by the street lighting which is invariably installed.

My pet hate is a lorry trying to out brake another on the approach to any roundabout and still attempting an overtake. :imp:

Of course the situation could be that the lorry has actually started to move out before the car / van is even visible. What to do in that situation is really a judgement call. The car / van has clearly only taken into account the fact that its entry is clear, not whether the roundabout is clear. I would say it is highly likely that someone entering a roundabout at 40mph would be the type to get on the horn and try to make a scene out of it.

Of course if you are blind to approaching vehicles, it is always appropriate to assume that the dumbest of dumbasses is just round the corner and to watch out for said dumbass.

Many car / van drivers that haven’t driven a truck seem to be pathologically pre-programmed to make every use of the speed, acceleration and agility advantages they have over other road users. You probably don’t see them running down the street or jumping the queue at the supermarket though. It is something that comes over people when they get in a vehicle. Why? I dunno.

If its ambiguous and you can stop then do so? Why have a prang when it can be avoided? If it goes wrong, there can be more than 1 driver ‘at fault’ or prosecuted, so it may not just be the car but the LGV driver as well.
If you’ve already decided that every other car/ van driver has no understanding of how a lorry behaves or is driven, then surely you need to take that into account as well. Isn’t that what good driving is all about?

OP for the purpose of passing your driving test you wait, the three S…

Slow down,swerve, forget the last one lol you mustn’t make the car do these

However in real life if its the night time just wait if its daytime and your going be there forever just ■■■■■ go and give it large if the driver horns at you cause his a compete otter knob

Wheel Nut:
I believe a word was removed from the Highway Code since I took a driving test.

Give way to the IMMEDIATE Right on a roundabout. I also believe that the maximum speed limit on an urban roundabout is already 30mph, designated by the street lighting which is invariably installed.

Your believe means nothing there no set limit however you should approach a roundabout at a apporatie speed if your flying at 60mph police could book for your dangerous drivin.

Coming off a dual carriageway with national speed limit signs they needs to be speed limit on both side of the road telling you the change limit however must don’t so its still 70 for cars, you might get the odd red sign saying slow but the car driver might slow down to 65mph

ETS:

ROG:

Ok what if you’re going at 15-20mph or so but then out of the blind bend a maniac in a BMW approaches apparently going straight or right (your paths will cross) so you COULD stop but then you might have to do some pallet re-stacking?

You do not have xray vision and safety comes first including keeping the load as safe as possible

Swordsy:
The way I look at it, If the car driver is approaching the roundabout at high speed he is driving recklessly, all drivers should approach roundabouts with a bit of care. If I enter the roundabout while he is still say 10-20m away at speed, that’s his tough ■■■■■ and he needs to slow down. If he is already at the roundabout, id wait, but if he isn’t there I’m pulling out.

Exactly my thoughts :smiley: