Scania p320 beavertail. Strapping etc new to this game

Started a new job and waiting on a Scania 320 2021 will have a beavertail body and currently using a 7.5t to transport the kit we move tractor’s,mower,farm kit etc
Am getting use to strapping just need any heads-up about ways of strapping down stuff as everything is different.?
Use 5 ton straps on most stuff and the heaviest tractor am carrying at mo is a case 95 once I get bigger truck Scania will be a 26t 6x2 Willbe carrying bigger tractor etc.
Really enjoying it as I’ve come from bulk animal feed driving.

First check out the anchorage points then the default choice would be chains for me.Straps are similar to ropes only used if/when there’s a reason not to use chains. :bulb:

Youll be wanting a few pairs of chains and tensioners with bigger stuff.

Don’t listen to carryfast he’s never done this type of work in his life he’s a googler muppet

81F64954-272A-45C0-90E2-B5E95B6774D4.jpeg

robthedog:
Don’t listen to carryfast he’s never done this type of work in his life he’s a googler muppet

:laughing: You won’t need chains for a 6 wheeler.
Not for tractors anyway .

C332B132-701B-4286-9DD5-67CC5DBE68CF.jpeg

Not having a go mate,.and you did the right thing coming on here asking…but did the firm not give you full training on it seeing as you had no experience of a new job?
If not,.I’d be asking them.

Carryfast:
First check out the anchorage points then the default choice would be chains for me.Straps are similar to ropes only used if/when there’s a reason not to use chains. :bulb:

OP ignore…

This post. It’s guesswork from someone who couldn’t tell a double dolly from a tail-lift.

With bigger machines a couple of chains are better than 6 or 8 straps IMHO, but either method works. Make sure the points on carrying vehicle and on load are strong enough.

Ed. Chains don’t get damaged as easily as straps.

To be honest the big stuff will only be tractor’s and every time I see a tractor on back of anything it’s only got two straps on.
I do 4 at least for security do you have to be trained for anything over so many ton?

No statutory training for heavy, long, wide, etc. Lots of extra rules and regs, but not like Haz as there is no exam or licence.

Yelreppa:
I do 4 at least for security do you have to be trained for anything over so many ton?

Nope…

You can crack on with no formal/legal minimum training whatsoever for any tonnage.

Yelreppa:
To be honest the big stuff will only be tractor’s and every time I see a tractor on back of anything it’s only got two straps on.

If you have got a motor similar to the photo, you can bet a pound to a pinch of organic material you will end up carrying someone else’s machinery. A manufacturer or dealer won’t want you hanging chains off a demonstrator or something prepped for a show.

Using 4x 5 tonne straps should be enough overkill for DVSA and H&S.

Just remember to secure any loose parts, buckets, swinging jibs, doors, mowers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bewick:

Hey Denzil looks like the tyre is rubbing the cab away :laughing: is it over weight :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

yourhavingalarf:

Carryfast:

OP ignore…

This post. It’s guesswork from someone who couldn’t tell a double dolly from a tail-lift.

If I didn’t know a dolly or a ratchet strap from a tail lift I obviously wouldn’t be saying use chains as the default option for plant whether it’s a tractor or a dozer. :unamused:

Punchy Dan:

robthedog:

:laughing: You won’t need chains for a 6 wheeler.
Not for tractors anyway .

If I hadn’t done exactly that before but with a cable multi lift not an easy hook loader I would have been short of 5 years worth of wages.
I’m even more impressed by the well hidden bits of nylon string stopping it from flying through the cab to match the bits stopping it from flying off the back.Those anchorages also look a bit dodgy to me. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Yelreppa:
If you have got a motor similar to the photo, you can bet a pound to a pinch of organic material you will end up carrying someone else’s machinery. A manufacturer or dealer won’t want you hanging chains off a demonstrator or something prepped for a show.

Just remember to secure any loose parts, buckets, swinging jibs, doors, mowers etc.

If you think that Bewick’s example is using ratchet straps to protect the poor piece of vulnerable machinery you need to go to spec savers before you drive anything anywhere.

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Hey Denzil looks like the tyre is rubbing the cab away :laughing: is it over weight :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

At least it’s not using bits of nylon string and ratchets made of sheet metal to hold it all on the back. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Yelreppa:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember this 'un?
“BBC News | UK | Sentence for lorry driver who killed five” news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/25082.stm

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

I took the shot just after I loaded and before the air bags were inflated ! Oh! I forgot the asthmatic, ancient, Foden dosen’t have air suspension all round being so antiquated ! :blush: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: