Driver Shortage?

Has the driver shortage finally happened?
Updated my CV online at 11am & so far received 11 calls for Class 2 (Standard, ADR & HIAB) work starting on Monday :open_mouth:
All within 10 miles of me (West Midlands) & one half a mile away.
I know the LTD company thing has caused some drivers to quit but has it really had that much effect?

When newbies are getting full time permanent jobs within a week of passing then we know the shortage is real

I assume you have used the search function to check for responses about the “Driver Shortage”
But in case you didnt, a brief summary is: No there isnt a driver shortage, never has been. Only a shortage of good jobs with good terms and conditions.
All the rest is the dross of agencies and crap employers who pay peanuts, plan long hours and have a high turnover of staff.
The responses you`ve had so far will be a combination of these two groups, who are desperate to put bums on seats

ROG:
When newbies are getting full time permanent jobs within a week of passing then we know the shortage is real

Passed my Class 1 15th April, asked a local company about some ad hoc weekend work to get my experience up, got offered a full time job :wink:

fatboystu1:

ROG:

Passed my Class 1 15th April, asked a local company about some ad hoc weekend work to get my experience up, got offered a full time job :wink:

Great stuff :smiley:
If you had not gone looking would you have picked one up from an advert for a full time permanent position which would consider newbies :question:

Not a driver shortage.Just a shortage of drivers looking for local hiab deliveries, distribution work and the downsides of night work/ dodgy shift patterns etc etc.It’s been like that for at least the past 40 years. :wink:

Same in europe

I passed my class 1 July 23rd last year and started a full time job Aug 3rd. Still at same place and loving it.
Was given a brand new Scania at Xmas as well.
It can be done…

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

edd1974:
Same in europe

Maybe so?.
trans.info/en/iru-survey-europe … 021-226644
And Canada?
trucknews.com/blogs/underst … -shortage/
USA?
foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/t … rtage-2021
Australia?
afr.com/companies/agricultu … 422-p57lew
The world is your lobster, my boy.

There does seem to be an increase in demand for drivers in the West Midlands in 2021 and the agency rate seems to be up by around £1-£2 per hour so perhaps things are moving the right way.

Harry Monk:
There does seem to be an increase in demand for drivers in the West Midlands in 2021 and the agency rate seems to be up by around £1-£2 per hour so perhaps things are moving the right way.

They certainly are. Our place have recently upped the wages, and this weekend have improved the weekend rates and night out money. Most companies in South Wales have upped their wages in the last few months, and agencies are now over £15 basic mon- fri.

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

They certainly are. Our place have recently upped the wages, and this weekend have improved the weekend rates and night out money. Most companies in South Wales have upped their wages in the last few months, and agencies are now over £15 basic mon- fri.

Still via the brolly scam at those rates, I expect.

Harry Monk:

or maybe inflation catching up to wages (or the other way round…)

DCPCFML:

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

Just had a text from the agency I haven’t worked for in over a year offering £15.31 per hour for Class 1 and £12.45 for Class 2, PAYE, Monday-Friday in Crick.

Harry Monk:

DCPCFML:

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

Just had a text from the agency I haven’t worked for in over a year offering £15.31 per hour for Class 1 and £12.45 for Class 2, PAYE, Monday-Friday in Crick.

The cynic in me suspects that is “PAYE” PAYE rather than PAYE. :stuck_out_tongue:

DCPCFML:
The cynic in me suspects that is “PAYE” PAYE rather than PAYE. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really know what that means. I did work for them for about three years and I was on PAYE which worked the same as working directly for anybody on PAYE. The texts they sent used to give PAYE and Ltd Co rates and this seems to be the PAYE rate.

As I said earlier I have noticed agency pay rates locally rising by above inflation this year for the first time in many years, which I imagine is due to a combination of IR35, Brexit and the pandemic moving spending from foreign holidays to consumer goods.

Carryfast:
Not a driver shortage.Just a shortage of drivers looking for local hiab deliveries, distribution work and the downsides of night work/ dodgy shift patterns etc etc.It’s been like that for at least the past 40 years. :wink:

Look, I told you this before. Premium quality long-haul continental work has always been available for us elites whose faces fit. :wink:

Received a text today from an agency with whom I registered but never did any work,offering me work with a £200 bonus after completion of 10 shifts.I’ve been retired 8 years now.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Look, I told you this before. Premium quality long-haul continental work has always been available for us elites whose faces fit. :wink:

As opposed to agency Hiab etc work. :wink:

Harry Monk:

DCPCFML:

I don’t really know what that means. I did work for them for about three years and I was on PAYE which worked the same as working directly for anybody on PAYE. The texts they sent used to give PAYE and Ltd Co rates and this seems to be the PAYE rate.

As I said earlier I have noticed agency pay rates locally rising by above inflation this year for the first time in many years, which I imagine is due to a combination of IR35, Brexit and the pandemic moving spending from foreign holidays to consumer goods.

Now that ltd co is no more, “PAYE” PAYE is basically the new brolly. Says PAYE in name and the rate seems ok, but then you find out your holidays are rolled into the rate and none of the other ‘perks’ of being proper PAYE.