Nights out

Is this just expected of you in every HGV job that provides a sleeper cab? If you’re not going to get your drops finished within the day, be prepared to stay out? Going for my class 2 plus wanting to go for my class 1 after and seeing what to expect.

Would appreciate any input, thanks!

Most trucks nowadays have sleepers.
Every firm is different, ask when you go for an interview what their policies are.
I would imagine if you go for a job as a dayman, that is pretty much what you will do…days.

Depends what you want to do, some drivers baulk at the indignity of sleeping in their ‘tin boxes’ it’s beneath them :unamused: :smiley: , others don’t mind the odd night out.
As I say mate,.ask when you go for the job.

some employers will expect you to stay out some won’t .
Best advice is to ask them right at the start and find out what they want / expect and if they pay night out money / parking etc That way you know what your getting yourself into before you end up in a laybay with a potnoodle and no way of boiling water to make it and no bedding to sleep in .
I do 4 nights a week out in the cab and have bedding ,cutlery, kettle , toaster microwave tv and netflix . It suits me and I’m happy enough to do it . I can keep cracking on and can get started on the next days work if I have enough driving time / spreadover left . If it works then Friday is an easy day - usually running in or at worst load and run for a boat home . Everyones different and if your going to be doing 3-4 nights out a week make sure you and your partner (if you have one ) are happy / on board with the whole idea .

robroy:
Most trucks nowadays have sleepers.
Every firm is different, ask when you go for an interview what their policies are.
I would imagine if you go for a job as a dayman, that is pretty much what you will do…days.

Depends what you want to do, some drivers baulk at the indignity of sleeping in their ‘tin boxes’ it’s beneath them :unamused: :smiley: , others don’t mind the odd night out.
As I say mate,.ask when you go for the job.

Yeah that’s what I thought, until I came across some of the lads in 8 wheelers on aggs and asphalt who said they are frequently asked to night out whilst doing days.

I don’t by any means think it’s beneath me mind, I wouldn’t mind if it would be rare with plenty of notice; not just being told past mid day by the way can you stay out.

But like you say need to be forward at the interview, can only imagine it making me even less employable as a newbie though. :neutral_face:

beefy4605:
some employers will expect you to stay out some won’t .
Best advice is to ask them right at the start and find out what they want / expect and if they pay night out money / parking etc That way you know what your getting yourself into before you end up in a laybay with a potnoodle and no way of boiling water to make it and no bedding to sleep in .
I do 4 nights a week out in the cab and have bedding ,cutlery, kettle , toaster microwave tv and netflix . It suits me and I’m happy enough to do it . I can keep cracking on and can get started on the next days work if I have enough driving time / spreadover left . If it works then Friday is an easy day - usually running in or at worst load and run for a boat home . Everyones different and if your going to be doing 3-4 nights out a week make sure you and your partner (if you have one ) are happy / on board with the whole idea .

Thanks for the advice Beefy :slight_smile:

You’ll just get recovered if you run out of hours , just don’t stick the 2/3 hrs extra on a 15 , stick it on a short day so you get paid & your card is legal ( well looks it )

It’s a tradition…

That on your first ever night out, you tuck a twenty pound note under the wiper of the lorries either side of you.

robroy:

I did nights out for years, all week, every week, and sometimes I’d be away for weeks at a time, the longest trip I ever did was 107 days. I haven’t done a night out now for around three years though but not because I consider them to be beneath me, nights out simply aren’t compatible with my life as it is now and I’ve always fitted work around my life, not the other way round.

I still sleep in a tin box though. :wink:

The trick with nights out to avoid the temptation to take too much and before you know it the car is full to roof with stuff you may not need .
I would advise a strong and sturdy large sports kit bag to throw what you need every time you transfer stuff from your car to the truck and vice versa .
A basic camping cooker to make tea and coffee which save a fortune in motorway price hikes .
In case you are out of duty time and not in walking distance to a chippy or take away , I recommend basic food from Aldi or Lidl such as noodles, soup, cans of potatoes, Spam , crackers, mixed nuts , bottles of water, and cans of meat .

Then a washing up bowl, one for washing up after the in cab meal and one washing up bowl to wash and shave in , nights out are what you make it, with cinemas and inside dining open next week will make them better .
When driving, make a mental note of decent places to park up in, some drivers use leisure and sports centres and swimming pools for a free shower or pay as you go gym use .

Another issue is when someone else uses your allocated truck and your stuff goes missing or they break stuff.
The dilemma is whether to empty the cab or leave it there , and worse case scenario, another driver has an accident in your lorry and it is full of expensive kit such as a tv and so on and the police have confiscated it for forensic examination and it never comes back especially in fatal accidents, I know a lad that this happened to him , he was not allowed to retrieve his kit .

I don’t know how some people are dumb… why do nights out for 25quid extra■■? Most ain’t even 25 there like 22 quid and then ontop of that if you actually park in a service station you make no extra money unless u park in a lay-by.

I make like 180 quid per day average doing like 12hr a day home every day nice shower cuppa tea telly.

Seriously all you tramper should stick together and go on strike like tube train drivers, and not to settle for anything lower than 50k

TruckDriverBen:
I don’t know how some people are dumb… why do nights out for 25quid extra■■? Most ain’t even 25 there like 22 quid and then ontop of that if you actually park in a service station you make no extra money unless u park in a lay-by.

I make like 180 quid per day average doing like 12hr a day home every day nice shower cuppa tea telly.

Seriously all you tramper should stick together and go on strike like tube train drivers, and not to settle for anything lower than 50k

Sits comfortable, opens beer, awaiting INCOMING…

TruckDriverBen:

says the agency parcel jockey stuck on a nightshift in a crap motor crying about people parking beside him while hes at work trying to sleep .

TruckDriverBen:
I don’t know how some people are dumb… why do nights out for 25quid extra■■?

Because I live in Northern ireland and most of our work is in Scotland, England and Wales . It’s hard to get a boat home every night so I stay out .

TruckDriverBen:
Most ain’t even 25 there like 22 quid and then ontop of that if you actually park in a service station you make no extra money unless u park in a lay-by.

You have heard of Snap parking - we have and use it so its free parking for me and night out money and we get to take the meal voucher as well - benefit of working to a good boss who’s been there and done the job not some penny pinching spotty faced logistic manager sat in an office fresh out of school .

TruckDriverBen:

If thats your top line - I’d be keeping quiet about it .

TruckDriverBen:

What - we go on strike and the company bring in agency drivers to cover ■■ aye right
Tell me TDBen have you ever done a night out - planned or otherwise in your career ?

biggriffin:
Sits comfortable, opens beer, awaiting INCOMING…

Or popcorn.

Ken.

Salary: £35k to 40k per Annum

Night Out Payments - £16.20 Mon-Thurs &

Night Out Payment - £26.20 Fri -Sun

uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=4d7b … 277f6b99df

TruckDriverBen:

For me personally, for most of the time when I did do nights out, I was on long distance European work and it’s kind of difficult to do that and get home every night. :unamused:

beefy4605:

TruckDriverBen:

says the agency parcel jockey stuck on a nightshift in a crap motor crying about people parking beside him while hes at work trying to sleep .

That was me, you 'tard ! :laughing: And I’ll have you know it’s for a subbie with decent spec cabs and not via agency either, so there. Now if you could switch off and be quiet so I can get my 3 hours paid sleep that would be great ta.

Tarmaceater:
The trick with nights out to avoid the temptation to take too much and before you know it the car is full to roof with stuff you may not need .
I would advise a strong and sturdy large sports kit bag to throw what you need every time you transfer stuff from your car to the truck and vice versa .
A basic camping cooker to make tea and coffee which save a fortune in motorway price hikes .
In case you are out of duty time and not in walking distance to a chippy or take away , I recommend basic food from Aldi or Lidl such as noodles, soup, cans of potatoes, Spam , crackers, mixed nuts , bottles of water, and cans of meat .

Then a washing up bowl, one for washing up after the in cab meal and one washing up bowl to wash and shave in , nights out are what you make it, with cinemas and inside dining open next week will make them better .
When driving, make a mental note of decent places to park up in, some drivers use leisure and sports centres and swimming pools for a free shower or pay as you go gym use .

Another issue is when someone else uses your allocated truck and your stuff goes missing or they break stuff.
The dilemma is whether to empty the cab or leave it there , and worse case scenario, another driver has an accident in your lorry and it is full of expensive kit such as a tv and so on and the police have confiscated it for forensic examination and it never comes back especially in fatal accidents, I know a lad that this happened to him , he was not allowed to retrieve his kit .

Best not put any kit in the cab that alleviates that problem

DO WE HAVE A NEW TROLL !!

DCPCFML:

beefy4605:

TruckDriverBen:

That was me, you 'tard ! :laughing: And I’ll have you know it’s for a subbie with decent spec cabs and not via agency either, so there. Now if you could switch off and be quiet so I can get my 3 hours paid sleep that would be great ta.

My appologies - I’ll switch on my side pipes now . See you in 5