Early morning starts are a myth

I rarely see trucks at the pumps at services before 6 a.m.; 4am it’s usually only me (verified across multiple MSAs and A-road services), 5am maybe a couple other trucks; 6am maaaaybe full pumps but no queue yet; 6:30-7:00 everyone shows up at the pumps which means most of you day timers start around 5:30-6am which is on par with most other blue collar workers so can we drop this one from the ‘why trucking ■■■■■’ list?

Maybe they fuelled up the day before?

As The Maoster, the idea of an early start is to put some miles on before the great unwashed come out to cause mayhem, hence vehicle fuelled and ready for a days work the night before.

Main reason for stopping around the 7am time is Greggs, the most important stop on a schedule :sunglasses:

We have fuel…

On site so, unless the pointy shoes have forgotten to order diesel (frequently) you’ll rarely see us on the pump anywhere.

Unless of course I’m having a full 50 minutes on pump 2. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
We have fuel…

On site so, unless the pointy shoes have forgotten to order diesel (frequently) you’ll rarely see us on the pump anywhere.

Unless of course I’m having a full 50 minutes on pump 2. :smiley:

That^^^^^

Plus I expect to get in a fuelled truck in the morning and drop it off in the same condition. Last thing I want if my first drop is already running late is to get fuel or jetwash the cab so I can see.

Last Company I worked for it was “rule” you filled up at the end of the day unless you where out over night,the idea it was “your motor” was a load of b/s it was the Companies to do with what they pleased.

80% of our fleet start early hours.
We don’t carry fuel cards.

DPD insist on fueling at the hub, so when you return to depot there is enough fuel for the next driver to go somewhere and still get to a hub.

Why would you want to fuel up at the start of the run? Get out the yard and up the road. Refuelling is done towards (or at) the end of the shift, in order to leave the lorry in a fully-fuelled state for the next driver. As with many places, this is company policy at our place.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Why would you want to fuel up at the start of the run? Get out the yard and up the road. Refuelling is done towards (or at) the end of the shift, in order to leave the lorry in a fully-fuelled state for the next driver. As with many places, this is company policy at our place.

Depends on the situation at my place. If there’s a queue of trucks waiting to fuel I’ll ditch it and do it in the morning or stretch another day out and do it at the end of that.

Then again my unit won’t get used overnight so it’s not harming anyone, unless I’m genuinely sick/absent in which I don’t care if someone has to sling 100l in it

When doing night trunking commercial traffic levels anything after 5 am were far more than after 6 pm.I generally started at 5 am on general haulage.Obviously no connection with start times and fuelling up.

One driver one truck, so it’s up to us when we need to fill up, if I’m out I don’t like to fill up untill I need to,and less in tanks mean less to pinch…

I’ve always fuelled up the afternoon before, because when I’m starting work at 4:30am I can’t be chewed with fuel stations.

ETS:
I rarely see trucks at the pumps at services before 6 a.m.; 4am it’s usually only me (verified across multiple MSAs and A-road services), 5am maybe a couple other trucks; 6am maaaaybe full pumps but no queue yet; 6:30-7:00 everyone shows up at the pumps which means most of you day timers start around 5:30-6am which is on par with most other blue collar workers so can we drop this one from the ‘why trucking ■■■■■’ list?

I think you’ll find those are trampers. And even if they do start at 5.30-6am like most blue collar workers they’ll still be at work at 5.30-6pm three or four hours after most other blue collar workers have gone home from the morning shift.

As above our trucks go out every morning on full tanks.

If I keep telling myself “early morning starts are a myth” on days like today where I started at 0230 I might just believe it.

I’ll make sure I check in at a fuel pump for no reason just to ensure the early start quota gets filled.

What is this filling every day nonsense? Get some big tanks bruh. Only need to fill up once a week in the DAF I drive. Can do 4 round trips to the hub on one tank :grimacing: .

You won’t see early ‘day’ starters in motorway service stations. They will either fill up in their depot or use a local petrol station if company policy doesn’t expect them to fill up the previous day.

Roymondo:

My old place it made sense to fill up when you came back to the yard as the fuel pump was on your N/s and all apart from the IVecos had their tanks on the N/S

New pastures

Filling up at the end of a shift is a big no no for me if I’m on a night out. Don’t want to feed the fuel fairies.

Where I work were all allocated a truck permenalty. So I keep mine topped up. As in the morning I’d rather just get on with the job.
Where as most at our place seem to want to fill up on the mornings on the way out
.god knows why.
I’d rather get out and on my way