Highways England could face manslaugh charge

HIGHWAYS England may face manslaughter charges after a woman died on a “smart motorway”.

Nargis Begum, 62, was killed when a vehicle collided with her Nissan which had broken down.

There is no hard shoulder on the section of the M1 in South Yorkshire where her car stopped.

A pre-inquest review heard it took more than 22 minutes for warning signs to be activated, during which time the fatal accident took place.

Doncaster coroner Nicola Mundy said: “I want to know why. It’s as simple as that.”

There was a white van this afternoon broken down southbound M6 J13 to J12 mostly on the verge partly on lane one, nothing lit on the gantries, didn’t seem to concern the HWA vehicle who went past and calmly exited J12.

It doesn’t say what date or if it was N/B or S/B however I’ve a feeling I know as I remember a couple of year ago I was travelling to Derby Southbound on the M1 think it was a Sunday night and it was just cracking dark,a car was in lane one Northbound with its hazards on and the person was stood over the barrier but in front of the car(no idea of car make e.t.c) about half a mile after Woodhall services.
I dropped and swapped at Derby,had a brew and set off back,M1 was shut between 30-31 due to Accident so I went around,I think it could have been this Accident unfortunately…
It did say at the time stationery vehicle hit but gave no details and I never thought anything about it until I read this…

Should have got out the car and stood on the verge. She’d still be alive.

No different than if she’d broken down on the A1 or A38 or any other major dual carriageway.

Conor:

No different than if she’d broken down on the A1 or A38 or any other major dual carriageway.

‘Mrs Begum, a mother-of-five and grandmother-of-nine, had exited the car and was waiting for help when another vehicle collided with the Nissan, causing it plough into her.’

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … other.html

I believe it says that she had exited the car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Conor:

Not the best…

Advice if you’re disabled and unable to exit your vehicle quickly, let alone climb over a barrier.

Haven`t we heard in the past that these smart motorways were trialed with frequent lay-byes? They were then rolled out with more distant lay-byes.
Surprise! Costs were cut.

We all know from lots of different cases that lives can be saved at a cost. (lets`s not divert into COVID vs economy here)

Those who took those decisions should explain them. Either the cost/benefit calculation was properly made, and stands up to scrutiny, or else someone “took a punt on it”.

I know the CPS is busy as hell, especially with backlogs, but sometimes a case is more important than a simple percentage chance of winning which us what they require (80% last time i was involved).

Bet they still decide its not worth it or civil servants behind the scenes get together to make it go away.

Another example of it taking ages was on the M1 last week near J29 to J28. Car sideways in lane 4, truck in lane 1 and not a single matrix sign warning of it. Pretty certain there was still someone in the car. Was heading other way towards Tibshelf to call highways / 999 when I saw several police cars racing down there.

So obviously they’d been called and had time to get there (police HQ is off J28), but highways still hadn’t lit it up which was causing a lot of brake lights before they got a rolling roadblock in place.

Even behind it, there still wasn’t any matrix signs to warn of the rapidly building traffic jam. Don’t know if it was lack of comms between 999 and highways or if highways control were being ultra slow, but obviously no one was watching those cameras (there are a lot) and no automatic systems spotted it.

Basically some management need a serious kicking (in the literal sense!) as there have been far too many deaths on the M1 between J28 and M62.

Conor:

I think she was out of the car and over the barrier but she was at the front of the car,another vehicle stuck the car knocking it over or though the barrier into her…
Like I said in earlier post if this was either a Sunday night or a bank hol Monday night and it was just past Woodhall N/B I saw that car broke down as I was travelling south,when I came back north it was shut…

Conor:

Do keep up at the back old chap, you are wrong AGAIN.