Tramping - food?

Now I am back tramping again - I was wondering what folk do for food.

I have to watch my diet and service station burghers etc upset my stomach. So far I have managed trying to have a main meal at the end of the day. I have a gas stove (not got on with microwaves) and so far use tinned food - potatoes, ratatouille, carrots and peas, and tinned meat (supermarkets seem to do a fair range like beef curry, chicken supreme, chicken Korma, meatballs, Tikka Misala). Breakfast and during the day I struggle with maybe a ‘breakfast’ tin, spaghetti rings and sausages, rice pudding. When it comes to tinned food the choice is not great.

Folk I have spoken to tend to make up meals for the week - only trouble I have had with that is the truck freezer or fridge does not always work if one changes vehicles. I take my own electric coolbox now. I have had some miserable hungry days in the past. For washing I take 2x10L and 1x20L of water - one doesn’t always go near a service station to make use of the facilities - that’s enough for washing self, washing up, and shaving.

Perhaps there are tips someone can give for finding roadside cafes that offer a full meal rather than just a burger snack. A proper cafe seems to have almost disappeared.

Appreciate any advice from those with years of experience.

If all you are buying is processed food you would be better using a Spar or Subway for food, it’s fresh with healthy choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
If all you are buying is processed food you would be better using a Spar or Subway for food, it’s fresh with healthy choices

Until I got the coolbox I haven’t been able to keep fresh food on board for the week. Occasionally i have been able to park the artic up and buy fresh stuff but mostly during the week there isn’t the time. For the week I find 5 days food adds up to be quite an amount to store.

I think they are open 7 days a week again

Wheel Nut:

There are many places open 7 days a week but not many with a suitable place to park a truck. Some roads I have found ok to park and nip into the store but I’ve not found it easy.

Having spent many weeks working away from home I have always struggled to keep enough food fresh for a week, in the UK there are plenty of large supermarkets. Just get off the motorway. In Europe they are much more relaxed about parking and often offer a designated parking area at the big supermarkets in France, Spain, Italy and Germany.

jessejazza:

Wheel Nut:

There are many places open 7 days a week but not many with a suitable place to park a truck. Some roads I have found ok to park and nip into the store but I’ve not found it easy.

Just got to be brave and get it in the supermarket car park :laughing:
I did the other week in Daventry :laughing:

You might be better to post this in the Professional drivers forum you will
get more answers.
Have a look on you tube at the Ridge monkey I use it all the time.

fingermissing:
You might be better to post this in the Professional drivers forum you will
get more answers.

Good idea - done :smiley:

You say you don’t get on with microwaves? :neutral_face:
Why not?
I personally would not be without mine, it gives you more options.
You don’t have to eat the supermarket ready meal cack, pack up some healthy home cooked packs, and heat them…job sorted.

I’ve got microwave, fridge and toaster.
I pop in Aldi for ready meals on a Sunday. They stay fresh in the fridge all week. A loaf of bread for toast etc.
Sorted.

Also if you carry milk, microwaves are handy for knocking up a latte if you don’t want to pay Starbucks/Costa prices.

robroy:
Also if you carry milk, microwaves are handy for knocking up a latte if you don’t want to pay Starbucks/Costa prices.

Scrambled egges is a goodun too for breakfast out of a microwave

toonsy:

robroy:

Scrambled egges is a goodun too for breakfast out of a microwave

My lad bought me a egg poacher for the microwave …got to say I ain’t used it yet though.

If your not capable of making a healthy meal with the simplest of ingredients there’s no hope for you, what you need to do is take your mother with you, then you’ll always have a hot meal at the end of the day, as a bonus she can always be there to wipe your A**** :unamused:

I cook fresh most nights. If its nice weather I’ll set the grill up outside. I’ve also got pre prepped meals to bang in the microwave and the emergency pot noodle/packet/tin.

Its easily doable to eat healthily. I dunno in what way you need to watch your diet but eating tinned/processed food doesn’t seem like a great diet to me.

If your not willing to use a micro then invest in a gas stove. Set up a couple of planters on back of unit for fresh vegitables. Skin the odd cow on the way on you daily breaks. Store the meat in coolbox or if its sunny then slice thinly for jerky. Ready within about 2 weeks.

Either that man up and buy a micro. Get some ready meals as stated and crack on.

Or prepare meals in advance and again man up and spend a few pennies on a good fridge.

If you dont do this then tramping isnt for you.

Any good tramper will have all the mod cons as if he was living at home.

Fridge microwave unlimited data on phone
Tv in cab in proper position for evening tugs and a box of tissues to hand as well.

cgscott:
If your not willing to use a micro then invest in a gas stove. Set up a couple of planters on back of unit for fresh vegitables. Skin the odd cow on the way on you daily breaks. Store the meat in coolbox or if its sunny then slice thinly for jerky. Ready within about 2 weeks.

Either that man up and buy a micro. Get some ready meals as stated and crack on.

Or prepare meals in advance and again man up and spend a few pennies on a good fridge.

If you dont do this then tramping isnt for you.

Any good tramper will have all the mod cons as if he was living at home.

Fridge microwave unlimited data on phone
Tv in cab in proper position for evening tugs and a box of tissues to hand as well.

Dear oh dear white van man cack once again

Healthy eating on the road doesn’t need to be expensive , got some eggs for 58 p & I’m a bit down so treated myself to a cuppa & a packet of dipped custard creams for tea

9784D269-68C2-4549-B099-9B99EBD4AF33.jpeg

Turnip.