Steel plates for landing legs

Does anyone know what size and thickness steel plate is needed to support the landing legs from sinking into soft ground? I’m thinking around 18" square but not sure on thickness? Do any of you use them in your yards and could take some measurements?

They’re usually 1/2” plate 2-3ft x width of trailer

I may be a bit out of date but a scaffold board was usually easier to find than steel plates when I was dropping trailers. In fact when I was an O/D I always carried one in the landing gear. I suppose now HSE regs will forbid that. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
I may be a bit out of date but a scaffold board was usually easier to find than steel plates when I was dropping trailers. In fact when I was an O/D I always carried one in the landing gear. I suppose now HSE regs will forbid that. Regards Kev.

Way back when landing legs had wheels instead of flat plates it was always spare lengths of dunnage placed in line with the trailer that seemed to do the trick.

If it’s to go in a yard where trailers are parked in roughly the same place it’s best to bury a couple concrete railway sleepers in roughly the right place anything else is a faff.

Own Account Driver:
If it’s to go in a yard where trailers are parked in roughly the same place it’s best to bury a couple concrete railway sleepers in roughly the right place anything else is a faff.

When I was a young yard lad we dropped trailers on timber all the time, using sleepers, tilt boards or steelworks dunnage, it mushed down to matchwood until the birds made nests from it, then in Europe we had these tarmac, concrete or brick sett yards with herringbone markings and chocks for lining up the units and 7x3 stainless steel plates let into the tarmac to drop trailers on.

We have steel plates for our bulk trailers. They’re about 1/2 inch thick, as wide as the trailer and a couple of feet deep. A lot cheaper than having to get a crane or wrecker in to lift a fully loaded bulker thats sunk to its knees