HS2 (High Speed 2)

Despite being plenty of opposition to this project, it’s going ahead and jobs, contracts and vacancies are starting to appear online and by word of mouth. If you’re working on it or about to start work on it, it would be great to hear of your experiences working on the project. Pics would be greatly appreciated.
I’m sure there will be loads of negative stuff about the project going ahead but please keep this post for current progress and updates. Thanks.

When I was pulling concrete out of Stanton bonna…there was A lot of restructuring/expansion,going on.
Word on the floor put this down to HS2.
This was 2 years ago.

I’ve yet to see any clear signs of rail cuttings being constructed in the countryside. I take it that it will be M40 ish that they will appear?

Couldn’t say.
There’s supposed to be a spur near me(plenty of banners in the next village)but all seems quiet atm

commonrail:
Couldn’t say.
There’s supposed to be a spur near me(plenty of banners in the next village)but all seems quiet atm

Where’s that?

Newton,Derbyshire

TomCrin:
I’ve yet to see any clear signs of rail cuttings being constructed in the countryside. I take it that it will be M40 ish that they will appear?

Obviously not been round M25, and noticed the the large construction project near jcn17, or along the A4421 out of Bicester near the 15ft old rail bridge…

Or the M42 near Birmingham Airport

My best mates a Project manager on HS2 and he told me a few months ago that workers on site have to wear different, plain clothes off site as they have been attacked by people opposing HS2 when wearing the company clobber :laughing: :unamused:

Been delivering to a few HS2 sites. Been told to never talk to the public as they twist what you say and you are then “quoted” in the newspapers by the activists.
The new slip near J17 M25 is the start of the Chiltern tunnel.
Contractors and suppliers are not allowed to take photos and publish online so Id suggest you visit HS2 website if you want pics.

Surely this topic would be better off on Trainetuk

One of our customers is involved, none of the sites have any names up. Lot of pre work going on, running along side the A413 through the Chilterns. We were delivering three years ago to various locations mainly Birmingham area.

Been taking all the heavy lift equipment to the M42 site at Coleshill, the new bridge they are constructing at the side of the motorway is to carry HS2 over the M42, once its built they will use SPMT,s to move it from its construction site to the new piers on the motorway

The UK is basically ■■■■■■■ Bankrupt so why is the building of HS2 still going ahead at a cost of circa £150 Billion and counting ? and for what ? to shorten the trip from London to Brum by 20 minutes and the line still won’t end in the centre of Brum apparently ! I reckon when the full impact of Covid “hits the fan” HS2 will get the “chop” along with one or two other vanity projects !

Bewick:
…and the line still won’t end in the centre of Brum apparently !

I’m rubbish at up loading screenshots but here’s a link to the site of the station in Brum city centre. Switch it to satellite view to see the building site, don’t know how often Google maps is updated but goes to show work is well underway…and it does finish smack in the middle of the city!

Dropped pin
Near Eastside, Birmingham
maps.app.goo.gl/uXU1se6f5mFb79Mu7

Bewick:
The UK is basically [zb] Bankrupt so why is the building of HS2 still going ahead at a cost of circa £150 Billion and counting ? and for what ? to shorten the trip from London to Brum by 20 minutes and the line still won’t end in the centre of Brum apparently ! I reckon when the full impact of Covid “hits the fan” HS2 will get the “chop” along with one or two other vanity projects !

Reading the people writing here that they, or someone they know are involved in the project, one would think this is putting a lot of food on british tables.

Perhaps one of the most (in)famous and influential economists after Adam Smith, would have a word about the role of the government in times of economic downturn. “The government should pay people to dig holes in the ground and then fill them up.” - John Maynard Keynes

By the way, no one is bankrupt until they default on their debt.
And if you contract debt only in the currency that you also hold the monopoly on issuance, then my firend, you can never be bankrupt. As you can at any time, issue new currency out of thin air, to pay for the coming due debt.

Dress it up any way you like it will still be £150 billion that will be needed more urgently elsewhere and should not be squandered on building a rail line that will , debatably, maybe save 20 minutes on a journey time over say a 100 mile trip ! OK so as long as there are those Financiers who will carry on lending to UK PLC fine ! But eventually when the “brown stuff” hits the fan and “willing to lend” dries up we will be back in the days of Harold Wilson and James Callaghan when IIRC the saying goes " Get off your asses and sit on your arses as you have arrived in the Promised Land" and we should all recall how long it took to get back from the shambles the Labour lot left the UK in ! Cheers Bewick.

Assuming that this piece of nonsense ever gets up and running ,what will happen when “buses are replacing trains” asking for a friend.

Bearing in mind the truly scary levels of unemployment we are likely to see soon I don’t see there being much chance of cancelling something that will employ many people for a long time no matter what the cost.

ATJT:
Bearing in mind the truly scary levels of unemployment we are likely to see soon I don’t see there being much chance of cancelling something that will employ many people for a long time no matter what the cost.

Indeed! Boris has already said that we are to build ourselfs out of a downturn and will be pushing forward major infratucture schemes.
Excellent news for those of us that work in the construction sector.