AEBS

Hi.

I’m after a bit of information regarding aebs.

We’ve just got a new daf with this feature on (normally get Iveco) but I can’t get it to turn off. I know I’m leaving my self open but I’ll risk using my 35 driving experience rather than this.

I’ve tried pressing the button and holding it for a few seconds but nothing seems to happen, can this function be locked in so to speak or am I doing something wrong.

If you press the AEBS button once a yellow warning light should show on the dash which means it has been disabled, if it doesn’t do this there is either something wrong with the button or could have been locked in as you say, although I am not certain on it being locked in as I have no knowledge whether this can be done or not

On ours, you just press it once (long press not req) and it’ll show a yellow warning on the dash. Press again to re-enable.

It might be possible for this turn off option to be disabled in the computer if requested by the company. Could imagine some companies doing this to cover themselves, although I guarantee you’ll still see it fail in rain, snow, fog, mist, too cold, too hot…etc.

I would see if the lane departure switch works. If not, then its it’s likely they’ve asked for all such options to be permanently on.

Doesn’t matter if you turn it off anyway, it still doesn’t completely disable it. On the units we have that are triggered by specific bridges I’ve turned it off and it’s still done it.

I’d be wary of switching the dratted thing off (though entirely understandable the wish to switch the garbage off), because in the event of any accident when the ECU is downloaded you can be certain the finger of blame is going to be pointed at you whatever the circumstances.
Some lorries don’t have the facility at all of switching it off, MAN for one.

dafblog.co.uk/blog/training … stem-aebs/

One wonders how many of the recent fatalities caused when one wagon went up the backside of another could have been prevented with AEBS or if the driver didn’t turn it off.

It’s an absolute pain in the arse. The company I’m on for now have been in a long running argument with DAF over it and want it programmed out completely but DAF say it’s not possible to do. We do farms with grass growing down the middle of the road and it triggers the warning because the grass is in the way of the sensors. Also, overgrown bushes and low hanging branches on the narrow lanes cause it to flip out as well, along with rabbits running down the road. The truck is going back at the end of June and being replaced by another new Scania that don’t have the problem. The gearbox is ■■■■ in them too with glacial change speeds and the steering lock is bad as well (8 legger). Will be glad to see the back of it. I actually prefer driving the knackered 1.4 million mile 06 manual Scania with a 4 over 4. :open_mouth:

Isnt AEBS a Euro6 requirement? Isnt that why it cant be turned off? (In spite of the switch and warning light, designed to give the driver the illusion of control?) . Please note the question ?` marks.
Pain in the arse.

Please note no question ? mark.

Why not use the AEBS alongside your “35 driving experience” (whatever that is)? Using one as the fail-safe back-up to the other, so to speak?

Roymondo:
Why not use the AEBS alongside your “35 driving experience” (whatever that is)? Using one as the fail-safe back-up to the other, so to speak?

That’s how it SHOULD work but the system doesn’t work properly as posts above (and in previous AEBS threads) illustrate, hence why drivers want to turn it off as it’s only serving as a hindrance rather than a help. It should not be triggering the alarm when you’re driving under motorway bridges or over weeds along back roads. If it worked as intended then drivers would happily leave it on.

I was doing 50 along the A59 yesterday near Mellor Brook and the (DAF) AEBS activated and slammed the brakes on just as I was about to go past a jogger on the adjacent pavement. It also triggers on the main Clitheroe roundabout heading east too. When you’re running empty you can easily take that roundabout at its apexes at 30mph if there’s no other traffic, but the AEBS “sees” the apex of the curve on the exit as an obstacle and slams the brakes on. I’ve had so many false flags from this ingenious system :unamused: that I can say it is a danger and should be banned/scrapped.

Every time I have to drive the blasted thing I now go through the same process before setting off :

1. AEBS button : press to disable.
  2. PCC button : hold down to disable.
  3. ACC button : hold down to disable.
  4. Lane departure button : press to disable.
  5. Main dash display menu : settings : speed control : eco-roll : off.

That way I can get on with driving it myself instead of being nannied around, having the CC disable itself at nonexistent hills ending up coasting along out of gear at 40mph with a load of angry drivers violently swerving round me.

Am wondering if putting a piece of tape over the laser would do the trick. It’ll complain about an AEBS fault of course, but shouldn’t trigger.

Wouldn’t be surprised if selotape would work enough to disrupt the sensor and harder to spot (bend the light effectively). Unless you can buy stick on mud patches.

Not sure what VOSAs take on that would be as technically its a defect. Work asked if I wanted the 68 plate recently as its fancy and new…err, nah, I’ll put up with the back pain to avoid AEBS.

trevHCS:
Am wondering if putting a piece of tape over the laser would do the trick. It’ll complain about an AEBS fault of course, but shouldn’t trigger.

Wouldn’t be surprised if selotape would work enough to disrupt the sensor and harder to spot (bend the light effectively). Unless you can buy stick on mud patches.

Not sure what VOSAs take on that would be as technically its a defect. Work asked if I wanted the 68 plate recently as its fancy and new…err, nah, I’ll put up with the back pain to avoid AEBS.

Daf’s AEBS (as with other manufacturers) uses radar, not laser. I suspect sellotape would have no effect at all on a radar system, what with it being pretty much undetectable by radio waves, especially when only a few mm in thickness. A generous covering of snow/ice on the radar unit can cause problems - but frozen water is a lot more “visible” to radar than sellotape - especially when it’s a centimetre or more deep.

It’s almost like the DAF is trying to wake you up from your mundane long journey. Whistling along at 56mph only for the AEBS to pick up that you’re about to hit a motorway bridge, slam on and jolt you from your zoned out state

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Always assumed it used a laser on that box on the window, but radar would make sense. Guessing silver foil wont work either depending on wavelength. Also a bit more visible unfortunately.

Zoning in a DAF? With the suspension of those, theres little zoning between ouch, ouch, ouch every minute and that’s before you hit the poleholes. :slight_smile:

As a sidenote, I do wonder if the max setting on adaptive cruise control will actually stop you quick enough. Never totally trust it.

Had it go off again today twice. Last over-bridge on M61 southbound at the top of the hill just before it drops down the hill to Bolton services. Nothing else there! I had the AEBS manually switched off but the siren went off. Then going back the other way this afternoon, there was a crash on the M60 just before Birch. Lane 3 was moving faster than the walking pace we were doing in lane 2, so I timed a gap in lane 3 and accelerated to move into it once the car had come past. AEBS triggered, thinking I was about to drive into the back of the truck in front :unamused: and slammed all the brakes on, leaving me at a standstill half in and half out of the lanes with everyone looking at me wondering what the hell I’m doing. I’ve had it checked over at the DAF dealer - no faults found, working as intended. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: DAF should be sued for this piece of [zb]. :angry:

Juddian:
I’d be wary of switching the dratted thing off (though entirely understandable the wish to switch the garbage off), because in the event of any accident when the ECU is downloaded you can be certain the finger of blame is going to be pointed at you whatever the circumstances.

Actually you can switch it of in a MAN
Mines bust anyway the radar has stopped working and our local MAN dealer doesn’t have anyone working weekends that is qualified to work on it so on a year old truck it’s not worked for the last 8 months.

R420:
It’s an absolute pain in the arse. The company I’m on for now have been in a long running argument with DAF over it and want it programmed out completely but DAF say it’s not possible to do. We do farms with grass growing down the middle of the road and it triggers the warning because the grass is in the way of the sensors. Also, overgrown bushes and low hanging branches on the narrow lanes cause it to flip out as well, along with rabbits running down the road. The truck is going back at the end of June and being replaced by another new Scania that don’t have the problem. The gearbox is [zb] in them too with glacial change speeds and the steering lock is bad as well (8 legger). Will be glad to see the back of it. I actually prefer driving the knackered 1.4 million mile 06 manual Scania with a 4 over 4. :open_mouth:

From 2016 it is law to have AEBS fitted on any new truck. So no it can’t be disabled by the dealer. They would be leaving themselves open to litigation if they did so. Also by turning it off of your involved in an accident and someone dies then expect to be going away for a long time. Or if its not working due to a fault then again away for a long period. Turning it off as said though won’t stop it activating usually.

dreamingofoz:

Juddian:

Actually you can switch it of in a MAN
Mines bust anyway the radar has stopped working and our local MAN dealer doesn’t have anyone working weekends that is qualified to work on it so on a year old truck it’s not worked for the last 8 months.
[/quote]
If there is a fault with the AEBS not working then you should defect it and refuse to drive it. Its a legal requirement on trucks after 2016. It has to be fitted and working.