Re: The Fuel Vs Water in a tanker debate

How many litres do you carry Jonny? I remember filling a petrol tanker with water (can’t remember exact reason why) but boy did it feel heavy movivng it in the yard!
It was 6 wheeler which carried 20,000 lts of spirit. It was full to the brim with water.

^^^^ that’ll be 20000kg of water then :smiley:

the maoster:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
do you have suitable qualifications to make that calculation then? :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:

I concur… :neutral_face:

m.a.n rules:

the maoster:

I concur… :neutral_face:

At 4deg Celcius, yes.

the maoster:

Sorry, but it won’t. When the vehicle was loaded (max weight with spirit = 24t ) there was certainly room for a few more hundred litres or kgs if you like.
As I said it was full to the brim with water so the weight (normally 24t) would have been much higher.

jakethesnake:

the maoster:

Sorry, but it won’t. When the vehicle was loaded (max weight with spirit = 24t ) there was certainly room for a few more hundred litres or kgs if you like.
As I said it was full to the brim with water so the weight (normally 24t) would have been much higher.

20,000 litres of motor spirit will weigh iro fifteen tons ( <750> grams per litre)

20,000 litres of water will weigh iro twenty tons. > 1kg< per litre.

If the vehicles was 24 tons gross permitted mass, and max carrying capacity was reached with 20,000L of petrol, then if it was loaded with the same volume of water it would be overloaded by five tons, or approx 21%.

Old John:

jakethesnake:

the maoster:

20,000 litres of motor spirit will weigh iro fifteen tons ( <750> grams per litre)

20,000 litres of water will weigh iro twenty tons. > 1kg< per litre.

If the vehicles was 24 tons gross permitted mass, and max carrying capacity was reached with 20,000L of petrol, then if it was loaded with the same volume of water it would be overloaded by five tons, or approx 21%.

Thank you John for that calculation. It certainly felt 5 ton heavier.

So, 20000kg of water then! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
So, 20000kg of water then! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes Yes Yes, private Pike, it is. Approximately, roughly, pretty much, near enough, depending upon variables of temperature and atmospheric pressure among other things,
Now gie’s peace. :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing:

Have I really got to go through all this before Jonny tells me the capacity of his water tanker? :wink:

Jake you may very well be a driver par excellence but your grasp on mathematics is shocking. :laughing:

the maoster:
Jake you may very well be a driver par excellence but your grasp on mathematics is shocking. :laughing:

You are quite correct my mathematics was not so good but my arithmetic was fine. At least explain why you think 20,800 lts of water weighs the same as 20,000 lts of spirit?

the maoster:

Munchkin:
More than 20,000 Litres …

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

“It was a six wheeler which carried 20000 litres” . Can’t be any clearer I’m afraid.

there was certainly room for a few more hundred litres or kgs if you like

How was your English by the way? :laughing:

jakethesnake:

the maoster:

You are quite correct my mathematics was not so good but my arithmetic was fine. At least explain why you think 20,800 lts of water weighs the same as 20,000 lts of spirit?

Don’t try to muddle things, I never claimed that 20800 litres of water weighed the same as 20000 litres of spirit. YOU, yes YOU clearly stated that you filled your 20000 letter tanker with 20000ltrs of water and it felt heavy. I responded that it was in fact 20000kg of water.

Take a read through what you wrote and how I responded and have a good think about your response. You’re welcome, don’t mention it.

jakethesnake:
How was your English by the way? :laughing:

A few litres/kg better than yours I’d hazard!

How many litres do you carry Jonny? I remember filling a petrol tanker with water (can’t remember exact reason why) but boy did it feel heavy movivng it in the yard!
It was 6 wheeler which carried 20,000 lts of spirit. It was full to the brim with water.

This is what I wrote so obviously there has been a little confusion. When you filled the vehicle with 20,000 litres of spirit it was not full to the brim otherwise it would have been overloaded.
But as the vehicle was filled with water and was not going out on the road the vehicle was filled to the brim. ie 20,800 litres. so it was a lot heavier than 20,000 litres of spirit as John said.
5 ton heavier.

Sorted?

Of course it’s sorted. In fact so sorted that it takes me right back to my original comment “that’ll be 20000kg then”. There, wasn’t so difficult was it? :smiley:

the maoster:
Of course it’s sorted. In fact so sorted that it takes me right back to my original comment “that’ll be 20000kg then”. There, wasn’t so difficult was it? :smiley:

Whatever you say. :unamused: