Coronavirus and ADR Card renewals

Due to the current situation, the DfT (as the Competent Authority for all ADR matters in the UK) has decided that the UK has signed up to an official Derogation (= period of grace) for those whose ADR cards run out between 1st March - 30th November 2020.

Drivers falling into that bracket only need to get their ADR Card renewed (refreshed) anytime before 1st December 2020 and therefore may continue to carry a ‘regulated’ load until 30th November even if their ADR Card expires in the meantime.

The same Derogation also applies to DGSA Certificates.

Due to the way that these things work, this Derogation is NOT valid in all ADR member countries.

At the time of writing this, the Derogation above expires on 1st December 2020 and is ONLY valid in:

• Luxembourg
  • Germany
  • Austria
  • Norway
  • France
  • Ireland
  • San Marino
  • Netherlands
  • Czechia
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • Spain
  • Belgium

Edited 26/03/2020 to add:

• Slovenia
  • Slovakia
  • Greece
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Hungary
  • Romania
  • Bulgaria
  • Sweden
  • Andorra
  • Poland

Edited 30/03/2020 to add:

• Portugal

Edited 31/03/2020 to add:

• Denmark
  • Croatia
  • Finland

Edited 03/04/2020 to add:

• Lithuania

Edited 09/04/2020 to add:

• Turkey

This is a developing situation, so the list of countries may be subject to change, and is already different to yesterday!!

For those with an expired ADR card on an international journey, I’d advise that the following is written on the CMR/DGN:

“Carriage in accordance with Multilateral Agreement M324”

So, some people have an official (and temporary) get out of jail card. :smiley:

Morning Dave,
Thank you for the information regarding ADR licences.
Would you happen to know if ADR testing on vehicles will be suspended as per the annual MOT testing and also the periodic testing for ADR barrels?

pete smith:
Morning Dave,
Would you happen to know if ADR testing on vehicles will be suspended as per the annual MOT testing and also the periodic testing for ADR barrels?

Hi Pete,

I’ve just had a quick look at the DVSA website, this came up for if your vehicle needs testing before the end of this month:

DVSA ADR Test

I guess your best bet is to email/phone DVSA to enquire about the possibility of an exemption certificate for vehicles that need ADR testing later than the end of this month.

Edited to add:

There is a Derogation to do with ADR vehicle testing but I must make it very clear that (as of 16:40 on 30/03/2020,) the UK has NOT signed up to this Derogation yet.

dieseldave:

pete smith:
Morning Dave,

Hi Pete,

I’ve just had a quick look at the DVSA website, this came up for if your vehicle needs testing before the end of this month:

DVSA ADR Test

I guess your best bet is to email/phone DVSA to enquire about the possibility of an exemption certificate for vehicles that need ADR testing later than the end of this month.

Edited to add:

There is a Derogation to do with ADR vehicle testing but I must make it very clear that (as of 17:00 on 26/03/2020,) the UK has NOT signed up to this Derogation yet.

Thank you very much for the information and reply Dave, much appreciated.

dieseldave:

pete smith:
Morning Dave,

Hi Pete,

DVSA ADR Test

Edited to add:

There is a Derogation to do with ADR vehicle testing but I must make it very clear that (as of 17:00 on 26/03/2020,) the UK has NOT signed up to this Derogation yet.

The info on the GOV website for MOT procedures is misleading at present as it alludes to the fact that by clicking and registering your ADR vehicle they will get back to you. It isn’t happening as the procedure for ADR is not yet in place. Everyday it has been a ‘nearly there’ situation but not yet…soon?

Update - Authorisation 945 now in place

gov.uk/government/publicati … k-vehicles

It’s worth poinitng out that SQA have not told providers to cancel their courses (at least not as of Mon 30th morning time) so it’s possible these could still go ahead. Don’t know about the DVSA upload though as they have said they’re not recommending trainers to run courses (though not saying explicity that they should not run them :unamused: )

Zac_A:
It’s worth poinitng out that SQA have not told providers to cancel their courses (at least not as of Mon 30th morning time) so it’s possible these could still go ahead. Don’t know about the DVSA upload though as they have said they’re not recommending trainers to run courses (though not saying explicity that they should not run them :unamused: )

Maybe SQA is leaving it up to folks to decide for themselves.

My OP is intended to tell people that they don’t need to do their refresher even if their ADR Card runs out between the dates given.

:bulb: What you’ve said might be useful to those needing to take their initial ADR though.

i e mailed sqa today and they sent me a link to DOT Letter saying if you cant renew you need to carry said letter with you and you may carry on there was no dates included but there was on a PDP

bjd:
i e mailed sqa today and they sent me a link to DOT Letter saying if you cant renew you need to carry said letter with you and you may carry on there was no dates included but there was on a PDP

It’s autherisation 946 valid to 30/11/20 unless anything changes also on there site you can register for updates

bjd:

bjd:

It’s autherisation 946 valid to 30/11/20 unless anything changes also on there site you can register for updates

That’s correct bjd, but I’d just point out that any authorisation can only be relied upon if everything in it is complied with.

dieseldave:

bjd:

bjd:

That’s correct bjd, but I’d just point out that any authorisation can only be relied upon if everything in it is complied with.

I did clarify the point of card being out of date but they did say we must have the946 with us

bjd:

dieseldave:

bjd:

bjd:

I did clarify the point of card being out of date but they did say we must have the946 with us

That’s quite correct too bjd, but (at present) I’m unaware of whether the same thought has been given to PDP.

As an idea, Authorisation 946 doesn’t mention PDP, so the issue of an expired PDP might be worth querying with SQA since they are the issuing body for PDP.