License expiring, medical cancelled

I’m due my renewal on the 23rd of next month, with the medical next Friday (which was the earliest I could get). That’s been cancelled.
Now, do I renew the photocard on it’s own, and then try and get a Section 88 letter out of the surgery? Or do I just say [zb] it, and try and renew the whole thing when the dust has settled?

Btw, I’ve been away for a bit.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

vbmonkey:
I’m due my renewal on the 23rd of next month, with the medical next Friday (which was the earliest I could get). That’s been cancelled.
Now, do I renew the photocard on it’s own, and then try and get a Section 88 letter out of the surgery? Or do I just say [zb] it, and try and renew the whole thing when the dust has settled?

Btw, I’ve been away for a bit.

21 posts in 17 years… Yes you’ve been away just a bit.
Unfortunately, can’t help you with your initial question.

Call DVLA medical

When you think just how face to face the optician has to get to perform a full eye examination it is hardly surprising that there may well be difficulties with driver D4 medicals.

ROG:
Call DVLA medical

The line’s been unobtainable all morning. What I’m worried about is if I don’t send in a D4, they’ll decide I’ve relinquished my C+E and take it off the licence permanently.

vbmonkey:

ROG:
Call DVLA medical

The line’s been unobtainable all morning. What I’m worried about is if I don’t send in a D4, they’ll decide I’ve relinquished my C+E and take it off the licence permanently.

I have let mine run several months past the medical renewal date at the last 2 renewals and to be fair there was no attempt to remove the entitlement and once a medical form was done everything was sorted in due course. Make sure you scan or photograph your existing licence if you do send it away to them though, just in case.

manski:
I have let mine run several months past the medical renewal date at the last 2 renewals and to be fair there was no attempt to remove the entitlement and once a medical form was done everything was sorted in due course. Make sure you scan or photograph your existing licence if you do send it away to them though, just in case.

Thanks Manski. I’ve since found a clinic that can fit me in on Saturday, and the surgery will do me a Section 88. My ring has relaxed quite a bit :slight_smile:

My HGV entitlement runs out on May 1st. Not had any renewal forms sent through, not that I was going to renew it as I am (supposed) to be retiring at the end of my working week which is May 1st anyway. I am on a 1 year renewal thing due to having had a triple bypass.

I was going to renew it at a later date just to do a bit for the firm now and again as holiday relief to earn some pin money for Holidays ect.
I too waited for 5 months a couple of years ago to renew it due to the then backlog. So, if I am needed for a few weeks and my licence has technically ran out could I drive the truck ?

No D4 medicals until May now. DVLA medical advice line rejecting calls. No Section 88 letter from the surgery possible due to isolation. I’ll send off my photocard renewal, and just keep driving until they tell me to stop.

Yay! Got a reply from my MP. She’s spoken to the Transport Secretary, and DVLA will suspend the D4 requirement for up to a year. There’s going to be an announcement on their website shortly.

Please post a link when it’s up.

Conor:
Please post a link when it’s up.

Will do. How’s the back these days?

Just come through, D4 suspended

gov.uk/government/publicati … s-pandemic

Link not found.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

polytrotter:
Link not found.

gov.uk/government/publicati … 9-pandemic

"Normally an application to renew a lorry or bus licence at age 45 or over must include a medical examination report (D4) which is signed by a doctor. However, NHS doctors cannot carry out these examinations so lorry and bus drivers are currently unable to obtain D4 medical reports required to support their application.

So, in these special circumstances, a D4 will not be required when applying to renew a lorry or bus licence until further notice. However, this will only apply if the licence has expired or is due to expire on or after 1 January 2020.

However, please note: where a bus or lorry licence is renewed without the production of a valid D4, it will only be valid for a period of one year.

This will not affect applications for renewal of licences made by those aged 65 or over as these licences are already only valid for one year.

This notice does not apply to any application to renew small lorry (C1) and minibus (D1 (101)) entitlements included on car licences issued before 1997.

Any driver who has already obtained a D4 can still submit this with their application. A licence issued in such cases would be valid for the usual full term that applies."

[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yay! Just in time…except I’m being furloughed next week.

Thats answered my questions, thanks :slight_smile:

Finally! Application posted 30/03, issued 21/5, arrived this morning 26/5.

Did you have to wait for the renewal form from DVLA?