What's The Fastest you Clocked

Before limters what’s the fastest you clocked on a motorway
I don’t remember exactly but many a time the boot was hitting the floor

If my memory serves me correctly I managed 85mph in a Leyland Roadtrain on the M20 late one night and it would have done more!

Top speed was low 90s , back from Llanwern to Buxton in 2hrs 40 mins late one evening .

an 85 series DAF with a full load of fish boxes 360 + late for the markets . Needle off the clock from Penrith to Lancaster . All 3 lanes and the hard shoulder requierd at times - no idea what the speed was I had no way of checking . lol

E reg 95 DAF, not sure of speed as it only went up to 80 but The tacho looked a bit different as the speed trace went straight up followed by no trace at all until there was a straight line down a few hours later when I pulled in for a break.

jakethesnake:
If my memory serves me correctly I managed 85mph in a Leyland Roadtrain on the M20 late one night and it would have done more!

You post that after all you’ve been spouting about professional drivers and sticking to speed limits Rowley will be disgusted with you

Leyland…

Marathon, off the clock.

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Dunno about top speed but in the old FL6 2 car transporter we had i regularly did Le Havre-Avignon off the night boat going via Beavers [emoji54] & Paris…near on 900 kms [emoji598][emoji100][emoji100] [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My old Iveco Eurocargo recovery truck could be encouraged off the clock when loaded up . It seemed to go better with some weight to pull . Loved the pre limiter days .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

70mph seemed to be the norm when l started on tippers , l had a Volvo F88 and would be passed by newer FH Volvos that must have been touching 80 mph , if you were doing 65 mph you were driving steady . It wasn’t the top speeds that were crazy it was stopping the bloody things …cooked brakes all round , those were the days .

130km/h , M20 going downhill where the M26 joins just before Aylesford.

Loaded with 22 ton dog food bound for Stuttgart.

Rushing for the boat.

It was also 2am, so no traffic around

Merc 1844 back in 1996.

Not going to say too much here about speeds, but interesting when you speak of pre limiter days, lots of lorries had limiters long before they became a requirement, the trick was to be able to by pass the limiter without disconnecting anything or interfering with any wiring or connections, and for the er modification to pass the regular inspection periods and road tests by the mechanics, one of mine was limited to 71 mph, it would cruise somewhat faster than that without even the mechanics having the the slightest suspicion.

Looking back now i can’t believe the speeds we used to use at night in particular, you’d last 5 minutes now before they locked you up, different days different outlook.
These days it feels like i’m flying if i run on the limiter at a genuine 56.

well it is between me and my truck,I do not want to set a bad example to our younger members… :wink:

Had an ex-Harrisons 750 pass me on a flat section of the M8 doing a steady 67 mph recently. I won’t name the current owners but that is the fastest I’ve seen a wagon move.

80mph in a Renault Premium down Stockenchurch hill with a decker on - the look of the national express drivers face when I overtook him :laughing: :laughing:

158kph/98mph, disappointed I couldn’t crack the ton. It felt like the shed was going to blow off the chassis. :open_mouth:
White RC 64, 14 L ■■■■■■■ on the governor at 2150rpm, overdrive 13 speed RR to 3.7:1 final drive.

I get frightened now remembering the speeds my old Atki used to achieve on a downslope. An empty nightime motorway still wouldn’t have been wide enough if a front tyre had let go.
Power steering is not just for convenience.

my dad used to do a lot of fettling of his motors , a 1963 bedford TK , leyland engine , overdrive box , coach diff , 2 speed axle = around 70 mph , but the the prop was out of balance so you got quite a bit of vibration at speed down the M1 .Several ford d series from the 70’s had mods to make them quicker for the autoroute when they were coming back empty , 70 to 80 mph for one of them WRP442J ,which considering it was only a D600 wasn’t bad .Trouble was when they went onto pulling box trailers with parcels they couldn’t quite hack it, but good for mobile homes.
when i did night trunk out of corby , we had F10’s with the high ratio diffs (fitted for economy) but they ran really well past 70 and into the 80’s but you only got about 4 to the gallon and they were only around for 12 months or so, before he got rid of them , a303GJF ended up at swifts in northampton and they reckoned it was pretty quick as well
my FIAT 170 - 26 i could get up to about 75 , on the flat . most of my ERF’s were good for about 66, the 84 L10 -250 c series i had for 4 years would happily cruise at around 62 - 65

but that was then ,

tony

anything pre limiter was just a good guess after you wrung its neck and watched it go off the clock.

in more recent times my last full time owned actros going down glenshane pass loaded at night,( a smaller shap), heading for belfast,i just couldnt quite get the needle to touch 90 so id imagine a genuine 85 or thereabouts. ( no satnav).
to be fair,it was fully loaded with plenty of weight to shove me on.

having a generous limiter and the happy button certainly gives you a nicer run up the hills to start with
anything im usually driving nowadays usually sits between 62 and 65 whilst still showing 56 on the tacho head with the option of being a tad quicker once the “must make boat” button is engaged .

127 mph.
Not bad for a 2 litre Vectra.