Driver refresher

I went back to driving in the 90s after a long absence and my advice is:

• Many (most) places expect you to wear safety boots and to have a high viz vest at the very least. I would want a couple of pairs of gloves in my bag in case they don’t provide them, as well as the usual essentials like wet-wipes listed elsewhere. Have some coins for the coffee machine as you may be kept hanging around for hours.

• Don’t be afraid to ask… On your first day in a job, your best resource is the other drivers and there is a lot to know; paperwork is more important now than it ever was; when you have a destination, ask about it as the delivery/collection point may be on a different road to the address and there might be a preferred direction to approach from.

• Make sure you know how high your truck/trailer is - you don’t want to end up on the bridge-strike thread here.

• Be sure to do all the routine checks, even if someone is trying to hurry you up; if necessary, move out of the way and then do them. If you find a fault, even if it’s minor like a sidelight bulb, be sure to report it and follow whatever procedure they have about getting it fixed. (some employers will call in a fitter for the most minor of faults).

*When you get your notes, plan your route; satnav or maps, you need a good idea of where you are going before you leave the yard.

• When you have your notes and have checked your truck; planned a route and found out how to work the radio, stop for a few moments, take a deep breath and get your head into driving mode.

Good luck…:slight_smile: