Professional drivers and speed limits

What is it with professional drivers inability to stick to speed limits?

Quicker you go the quicker you finish. Simple logic.

Just you keep plodding along and mind your own business. Thankyou.

Rowley…

You drive your lorry and let everyone else drive theirs.

Technology will eventually take this option away from all drivers, if the EU get their way.

My current car already displays the current speed limit by sign post recognition, including temporary limits, won’t take much to connect it to the limiter.

Rowley010:

Maybe its Friday and they want to get home after being away from family all week.
Or maybe a meal has been booked with the Mayor and his daughter and he is running late?
Or maybe his wife has steak on the go and he knows he is looking at another night in a laybe with a jaffa orange and gingsters pie if he dont put his foot down?

Thing is, they ain’t professional. They are just like the majority of car drivers. Selfish. It’s not just speed limits either. They don’t care as they think they know better and does what suits them.
Good thing is though as sixties boy says it wont be long before technology takes over EU or not.

This thread hasn’t really gone to plan has it?

Flat to the mat, keep er lit,

If you have a problem, get out of the way. Bloody plobbers moaning.

yourhavingalarf:
Rowley…

You drive your lorry and let everyone else drive theirs.

I will. And I’ll do what I normally do. Don’t go faster than the limit and watch all the professionals rush up behind me and sit an inch from my back.

Coming up m6 leaving at 11 up the a34 into Stafford and rejoin at 14. There’s some big stretches of 30 and 40 limits. But not going 1mph over the whole diversion still only takes 20 mins. For how much faster you can drive when ignoring those limits you may save 1 minute. Maybe 2 minutes max. Why bother for what it’s worth? Just stick to the limits and why get yourself wound up for the sake of that. ■■■■ em. Wanting to get home you’ll still get home maybe 1 min later. Drivers get into their head that flooring it down these roads saves them hours. Well it doesn’t.

cgscott:

Don’t worry I will keep plodding on minding my own business keeping all the professional drivers behind me at the speed limit winding them all up as I do. Really they shouldn’t be professional drivers if they get wound up at actually driving at a speed limit should they, in the wrong job if you ask me.

Rowley010:

cgscott:

Don’t worry I will keep plodding on minding my own business keeping all the professional drivers behind me at the speed limit winding them all up as I do. Really they shouldn’t be professional drivers if they get wound up at actually driving at a speed limit should they, in the wrong job if you ask me.

Good on ya pal. There ain’t many decent drivers left these days. Its usually the ones that speed that tailgate as well just like the moron car drivers we see.

Big selfish bullies.

Rowley010:

cgscott:

+1

I do this job for the money, not the thrill of driving something big, or the sparkling company in RDC holding pens, although I do respect those who simply want to get away from the missis from time to time!

As I’m hourly paid, putting my foot down is counter productive to me.

I was driving down the M6 this morning at about 06.30 through the roadwork stretch J15-12, only me and maybe 3 cars in sight, all doing 49mph.
Within 2 minutes of each other there was a Woodsides attic up the arse of a car in lane 2, no more than a foot from his rear bumper, flashing his lights and blasting his horn until the car driver moved across, then a Gist artic came down lane 3 at full speed, completely ignoring both the 50mph limit and the 6’6 width restriction on that lane!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sixties boy:
Technology will eventually take this option away from all drivers, if the EU get their way.

My current car already displays the current speed limit by sign post recognition, including temporary limits, won’t take much to connect it to the limiter.

Looks like the new mandatory rules are coming soon! “All new vans and trucks will have to be equipped with certain advanced driver safety systems by 2022 under new European-wide rules approved last month”.

commercialfleet.org/news/la … -from-2020

“Intelligent speed assistance uses traffic sign recognition and/or GPS location data to determine local speed limits. It then caps engine power to prevent the car accelerating above that limit.”

WhiteTruckMan:

Rowley010:

cgscott:

+1

I do this job for the money, not the thrill of driving something big, or the sparkling company in RDC holding pens, although I do respect those who simply want to get away from the missis from time to time!

As I’m hourly paid, putting my foot down is counter productive to me.

Yep same here hourly paid and limited to 52mph , Kerching :grimacing:

lancpudn:

Sixties boy:

Looks like the new mandatory rules are coming soon! “All new vans and trucks will have to be equipped with certain advanced driver safety systems by 2022 under new European-wide rules approved last month”.

“Intelligent speed assistance uses traffic sign recognition and/or GPS location data to determine local speed limits. It then caps engine power to prevent the car accelerating above that limit.”

I hope that when all this big brother crap is fitted, and milk-floats are used for haulage, I’m finished and out of the game…

Also the systems being fitted in cars are switchable, on or off.

As long as they’re driving safely I don’t see an issue.

biggriffin:

lancpudn:

Sixties boy:

I hope that when all this big brother crap is fitted, and milk-floats are used for haulage, I’m finished and out of the game…

Also the systems being fitted in cars are switchable, on or off.

Yes for now, I just cant see them going to all this trouble if they can be overridden! Speaking of “Milk floats” I’ve just been reading that Nestle,Unilever & AB Inbev amongst other groups & hauliers are calling for more Zero-Emission trucks on the road. transportenvironment.org/pr … %E2%80%99s

tachograph:

As long as they’re driving safely I don’t see an issue.

Most ridiculous statement of 2019 there.