A14 Monday 9th

The Cambridge Evening News has confirmed that when the first bit of the A14 opens on Monday the old A14 between Godmanchester and Spittals will close " for ever" at the same time .
Work will then start on dismantling the flyover over Huntingdon railway station.
Last few remaining days guys of Brampton Hut rabt and Spittals interchange if you travel regularly on that bit of the A14!

The A428 is becoming a pita, the matrix’s on the A1 at Peterborough this morning indicated that there where severe delays on the A14 J23-J27 so I headed down to the A428 only to run into a 50min delay crawling from Eltisley to girton.
If my hunch is correct then I will miss the A14 tomorrow but have to go down to Sudbury via BSE in Thursday morning so that should be the last time I travel the Huntingdon stretch

Let’s start taking bets on how long before it’s closed, due to a box jockey or a Mick George tipper, causing/involved in an incident, I’ll say about 0930 Monday morning,.

Place your bets.

This is long overdue! But it could mean the end of Alconbury truckstop as there will be much less passing traffic. There will be many other places along the closed bit that will also loose trade.
Since retiring I only travel up that way by car now to visit family up North a few times a year so it will not worry me too much, but the wife is already complaining that we will not be able to stop for lunch at the pretty little tea-shop by the river in Godmanchester :laughing:

Martin , you will still be able to access Godmanchester in the usual way.

Martin:
This is long overdue! But it could mean the end of Alconbury truckstop as there will be much less passing traffic:

Alconbury truckstop ended a good few years ago Martin, it’s been a Maritime depot ever since.

biggriffin:
Let’s start taking bets on how long before it’s closed, due to a box jockey or a Mick George tipper, causing/involved in an incident, I’ll say about 0930 Monday morning,.

Place your bets.

I’d suggest that it will ensue much earlier due to the muppetry caused by the unfamiliarity of all drivers using the stretch for the first time.
My bets are on minutes not hours after it opens there’s gonna be a major problem
There will also be those who will still try to use the old road

biggriffin:

Place your bets.

My money on a Box jockey parking it down a embankment By Lunchtime :laughing:

Girton WB link bridge opening rescheduled

To avoid a week of numerous traffic switches, as we understand there is a lot of new information and routes for drivers to take in, we’ve taken the decision to delay the opening of the new WB to WB link at Girton to Tue 17 Dec (1 of 2)

biggriffin:

Place your bets.

Hope not…i’ll be there about that time :open_mouth:

elsa Lad:

biggriffin:

Place your bets.

My money on a Box jockey parking it down a embankment By Lunchtime :laughing:

Looking at the sweeping bend at Brampton, I reckon you could be right.,.

How many will come down to spittals then have to go down to Brampton via the race course, if they close the spittals to godmanchestee stretch…

Is the original A14 by Alconbury to Godmanchester still going to be open on monday or does that close as soon as new one opens on 9th?
I’ll be coming from the North on A1 and looking at the new map of A14, i think i would be quicker using original road until they close it

ArcticMonkey:
Is the original A14 by Alconbury to Godmanchester still going to be open on monday or does that close as soon as new one opens on 9th?
I’ll be coming from the North on A1 and looking at the new map of A14, i think i would be quicker using original road until they close it

the old A14 between Godmanchester and Spittals will close " for ever" at the same time

Opening time is 5am ( local evening paper).

Oscar2:
Opening time is 5am ( local evening paper).

It’s likely that I will get there around 7-7:30
For an extra chaos factor the minions will blindly follow their outdated satnav’s

chaversdad:

ArcticMonkey:

the old A14 between Godmanchester and Spittals will close " for ever" at the same time

I go to St Ives a lot. How would i get there from A1 coming from the North?

ArcticMonkey:

chaversdad:

ArcticMonkey:

Come off at the A1198 junction on the new A14 and go down to the Godmanchester junction on the old A14, it’s only being closed across the bridge near water tower.

biggriffin:

ArcticMonkey:

chaversdad:

ArcticMonkey:

Come off at the A1198 junction on the new A14 and go down to the Godmanchester junction on the old A14, it’s only being closed across the bridge near water tower.

Cheers

is there a link to veiw the new road layout…?
i do use the A14 several times a week but dont have a clue about the routing of the new bit

Notimetoulouse:
is there a link to veiw the new road layout…?
i do use the A14 several times a week but dont have a clue about the routing of the new bit

Google’s your friend quick search several maps