Container work paid by the mile

Hi I’ve just been for an interview today and when I asked pay rates I’m told it’s 33 pence per mile, £12.50 for starting before 4am, £10 for opening the back door s, £15 to assist with unloading

£50 to start for a Saturday or Sunday and if I pull there tautinliner it’s £10 for every time I have to open the curtains

Absolute brain ■■■■, I’ve no idea if it’s even legal to operate like this?

They told me if I’m waiting at a delivery point obviously I ain’t earning but after 2 hours of waiting I get a £25 quid standing allowence

Anyone on here paid by the mile care to share your experiences?

What a croc of ■■■■!

Only reason they will do anything like this is to save them money.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It’s hard to work out what type of wage your gonna be earning, me and our lass are buying our first home after new year (or at least hoping) I very much doubt the banks would offer a mortgage on that pay structure.

TruckerAds:

Legal as long as it meets at least NMW for the hours you’ve done.

Lmfao ,

Walk away .

You really need to enquire with existing drivers there. Containerships seem fairly well regarded so the drivers must be able to make good screw out of it. You’ll need to do 1500 miles a week to secure £500 before other add ons, so paramount your consistently planned distance work and don’t spend too long ■■■■■■■ about in container yards.

Defiantly wouldn’t entertain it myself.

I guess you get nothing for waiting 1.75 hours 3 times a night?

I haven’t been on containers long but as others have said doesn’t look good. There’s not many weeks I have done 1500 miles because of all the waiting.

If you drop and swap and don’t open the doors I guess that’s nothing extra?

El Deano:
What a croc of [zb]!

Only reason they will do anything like this is to save them money.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

And…

Beetlejuice:
Lmfao ,

Walk away .

Both correct answers.

Why is it ok for this industry to use all these three card tricks to pay their employees?
Just an hourly rate. Thats all thats needed.

TruckerAds:
Hi I’ve just been for an interview today and when I asked pay rates I’m told it’s 33 pence per mile, £12.50 for starting before 4am, £10 for opening the back door s, £15 to assist with unloading

£50 to start for a Saturday or Sunday and if I pull there tautinliner it’s £10 for every time I have to open the curtains

They told me if I’m waiting at a delivery point obviously I ain’t earning but after 2 hours of waiting I get a £25 quid standing allowence

Anyone on here paid by the mile care to share your experiences?

I wouldn’t entertain any wage not quoted in an hourly rate - unless (and this is unheard of) the job was a specific pre-agreed run where you know how long it typically takes. And that £15 for assisted unloading would have me running for the hills on containers.

That’s a 4 on 4 off position so I’d say 1000 miles or so would be a push, they only pay for the drivers manual handling when the customer agrees to pay the company for the drivers labour which isn’t gonna happen often if at all.

Can take half a day to hand ball a container and they wanna pay you £15 that :laughing:

Well the bloke assessing me said that’s all he does at the company asses new drivers mon-fri and there still not fully staffed…say no more.

I’d take the 33p per mile and the tenner for opening the doors.I’d tell them to shove the 12.50 for the before 4 am starts unless you can get back to the yard to go home,or park up before 4 pm and the 50 quid for weekends and the 15 quid for ‘assisting’ to unload and the curtain sider work.

Ooooh look, an extra penny a mile with ADR - I’m in :open_mouth: :cry:

Just stand there opening and closing the back doors all day. Reckon you could be on £300 per hour.

Job done.

Drempels:
Just stand there opening and closing the back doors all day. Reckon you could be on £300 per hour.

Job done.

:laughing: :laughing: It’s the pits ain’t it.

Do you get 30p every time you turn steering wheel counter-clockwise as well ■■

If you drive at an average 30mph it’s £10 an hour. If you drive at 40mph it’s about £13 an hour.
If you’re driving on the M25 in traffic it’s how much?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk