F16 470

Maybe a bit of an odd one guys.
Although always taken a keen interest ive been out of driving for a good few years now but have the chance to do again what i did so many years ago, European haulage which involves groupage from Malaga to as far as Belgium return. I would be self employed/ owner operator.
The last time i did this i had an F16 470 which in its time was one of the trucks to have, now… i have the chance to buy a very low km model 210k km in absolutely immaculate condition, Lux model with leather still in its factory white, 4x2 air suspension on the rear, 3.8 m wheelbase, alcoa alloys,huge diameter Eminox stack, standard air intake , 12 speed range changer, standard height cab with factory air deflector and side skirts. What are your thoughts using this old truck doing this kind of work this day and age. It was very capable in its day and would pull the gradients with just a squeeze on the pedal but realise times have moved on but still have this hankering for another.

Andy.

AndrewG:
Although always taken a keen interest ive been out of driving for a good few years now but have the chance to do again what i did so many years ago, European haulage which involves groupage from Malaga to as far as Belgium return. I would be self employed/ owner operator.
The last time i did this i had an F16 470 which in its time was one of the trucks to have, now… i have the chance to buy a very low km model 210k km in absolutely immaculate condition, Lux model with leather still in its factory white, 4x2 air suspension on the rear, 3.8 m wheelbase, alcoa alloys,huge diameter Eminox stack, standard air intake , 12 speed range changer, standard height cab with factory air deflector and side skirts. What are your thoughts using this old truck doing this kind of work this day and age. It was very capable in its day and would pull the gradients with just a squeeze on the pedal but realise times have moved on but still have this hankering for another.

Andy.

It may be more economical, more reliable and easier to repair and maintain than an all new singing and dancing electronic piece of crap. I wonder if we are entering an era where owning a modern truck out-with the warranty / manufacturers contract is akin to a circling a financial black hole.

I think one problem will be the low/non existent Euro rating of such an old truck, you might find certain places, such as London various parts round Germany and the Mont Blanc tunnel you won’t be able to use it.
Also getting parts for it, I know somebody who sold their MK1 FH not because it wasn’t up to the job, but because they struggled to get parts as so many had been exported.

Also the International haulage market has probably changed considerably since you were running your F16, the only thing that probably hasn’t changed is the rates you’ll get for the job.

But the truck does sound pretty good, are you in a position to keep it for shows etc. :smiley:

I have wondered ref the non regulation of emmissions and will have to look further into that one. With spares, it comes with around half ton of parts inc brakes shoes, slack adjusters, actuators air compressor, prop shaft and around ten services worth of filters/belts ect. Spoken to the local parts supplier and they reckon they can get most parts both genuine and pattern. The drive train engine/box should be pretty bullet proof and as Bluey Circles mentions could probably be more reliable with it having no electronics to go wrong. Its got a sliding 5th wheel and with its 3.8m wheelbase close couples to a long pin 13.6 meter within the length regs. Also has the uprated 11.5 ton drive axle.
Unfortunately i would have to work it rather than a show piece :wink:
I know theres plenty of other trucks i could use but the F16 although old is still a fantastic truck imho…
Please all of you feel free to point out the positives and also the pit falls as i have been out of this for a while now…cheers

Andy.

As far as I know neither Spain or France charge any difference on tolls etc between an old truck and a euro 6 except for the Alpine tunnels, sounds a right Jem so go for it!!

AndrewG:

Andy.

Won in the Lottery :question: Buy them :exclamation:
was my Lorry. Run them with 32 l/100km to 34l/100km but many used 50 l/100km :bulb:

Best Lorry ever built,but,its old. If you lease a new you have Waranty and everything covered.
You have to be carefull with your Right Foot. I let them come down to 1000 reps.The Cabin started shacking but there he started pulling. always heavy from Germany to Southern Italy and back. Cans,Fruits,Steel and Flower Earth. 38 to 40 ton.
I didnt hurry. Mostly searched a 400 BHP and followed them. He was full Trottle and i just idled behind him. (only Way to keep Fuel down)

AndrewG:
I have wondered ref the non regulation of emmissions and will have to look further into that one. With spares, it comes with around half ton of parts inc brakes shoes, slack adjusters, actuators air compressor, prop shaft and around ten services worth of filters/belts ect. Spoken to the local parts supplier and they reckon they can get most parts both genuine and pattern. The drive train engine/box should be pretty bullet proof and as Bluey Circles mentions could probably be more reliable with it having no electronics to go wrong. Its got a sliding 5th wheel and with its 3.8m wheelbase close couples to a long pin 13.6 meter within the length regs. Also has the uprated 11.5 ton drive axle.
Unfortunately i would have to work it rather than a show piece :wink:
I know theres plenty of other trucks i could use but the F16 although old is still a fantastic truck imho…
Please all of you feel free to point out the positives and also the pit falls as i have been out of this for a while now…cheers

Andy.

Calculate the Rate you get paid and the Fuel the F16 uses. You driven one,so you know.Even when Diesel was cheap then.
Check that Facebook Site how nice a New Lorry looks
facebook.com/Whites-Transpo … 7/?fref=nf

I owned an F16 when speed limiters were on the verge of being made law and had one fitted long before I was required to, I had it sett 90km/h too, rather than the 100km/h the law required at that time, my reason for doing so was because that thing could drink diesel.

I once had a rush job come up and had to run empty from Greenwich to Sheffield to get a load out of a bankrupt company before they sold it and disappeared with the proceeds, I had 600ltr tank on one side and a 400ltr the other, they were able to run independently of each other (some will know why) and the 400ltr tank was the UK tank, it was brimmed as I left Greenwich and running on fumes when I arrived in Sheffield!

After the limiter was fitted I wouldn’t have made Watford Gap in the time it took me to get to Sheffield, so I was giving it large portions, but even running at 100km/h or slighty above, it was a thirsty beast.

Would I run one today? No, the simplest of breakdowns could leave you marooned for a long time while you try to source parts that will be almost non existent, the F16 was too rare in its prime, so the likelihood of garages having any old stock laying around is not good, you would stand a better chance with a 385/400 F12, but that’s a moot point seeing as though you’re looking at an F16.

Ah, those old rose tinted specs! A couple of years ago I was offered a days work in a 143 450 a mate of mine had just bought. Great I thought, a day out recalling my younger days tramping round Europe in the king of the road. Jesus H Christ! How did I manage 1 hits from Milan home in that noisy old bone shaker or 2weeks out in that tiny cAb. Likewise Euro work.returned to it too and found its just the same rat race as here now except with better food

Got any pics of it mate?

short walk:
As far as I know neither Spain or France charge any difference on tolls etc between an old truck and a euro 6 except for the Alpine tunnels, sounds a right Jem so go for it!!

I was thinking more of Germany and Austria to be honest, I seem to remember quite a difference between Euro 3 and Euro 5 to go across Germany and I know the rates are different in Austria.

Yes its the practicalities of doing so.
I’d gladly run an older lorry, for me it would be a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ drive train but each to their own.

However i’d only do so within my own country and where my stock of spares would only be up to say a 4 hour van journey away, wouldn’t consider doing this on international work.

Plus points are lack of electronics plus parts that are fixable and you won’t get bum raped when an exhaust falls apart.
Minus points include finding someone not now retired who knows how to rebuild the rather more simple parts when the time comes, with parts scarse, especially if you’re stuck a seriously long way from home base.
Another worry is that emissions (Diesel especially) are the new public enema number one, if you have to get the vehicle fitted with exhaust cleaning carp it will probably sap any extra power the bigger engine had resulting in an even bigger drink problem.

Juddian:
and you won’t get bum raped when an exhaust falls apart.

Are you speaking from experience Juddian? Bloody hell you must work for a harsh firm, :open_mouth:

robroy:

Juddian:
and you won’t get bum raped when an exhaust falls apart.

Are you speaking from experience Juddian? Bloody hell you must work for a harsh firm, :open_mouth:

Bleedin Clot… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Having read here of quotes of £11000, WTF? for exhaust replacements i reckon you could replace more than a dozen bloody Eminox stacks on that good old Volvo.

Muckles is right, Germany will be very expensive and most major cities, you are not allowed anymore, Austria is mostly euro 0 prohibited, just as Mont Blanc and Frejus. Milano you will have to buy an ecopass of 10 € a day.
Belgium will cost you extra also, so that will leave you France and Spain.
We have just restored a F12 and some parts, altough still available, are getting harder to find, meaning what would be an easy and quick repair could turn out to be longer then expected.
Like NMM said, diesel will be expensive, compared with newer models.

I would love to drive an F16 again, but I think it is financially unwise.

muckles:

short walk:

I was thinking more of Germany and Austria to be honest, I seem to remember quite a difference between Euro 3 and Euro 5 to go across Germany and I know the rates are different in Austria.

In Austria you need a “L” to drive by Nite as far as i know

bald:
Muckles is right, Germany will be very expensive and most major cities, you are not allowed anymore, Austria is mostly euro 0 prohibited, just as Mont Blanc and Frejus. Milano you will have to buy an ecopass of 10 € a day.
Belgium will cost you extra also, so that will leave you France and Spain.
We have just restored a F12 and some parts, altough still available, are getting harder to find, meaning what would be an easy and quick repair could turn out to be longer then expected.
Like NMM said, diesel will be expensive, compared with newer models.

google.co.uk/search?client= … rotter+xxl

bald:
Muckles is right,

Must be a leap year. :laughing:

bald:

Never driven an F16, but did drive an F12 when I first started driving trucks, love a trip down memory lane by driving one, but as GOG47 said probably realise how much quieter and more comfortable new trucks are.
I love classic cars, been lucky enough to drive a few most notably a Jenson Interceptors and and Series 1 E type, the E type especially did not disappoint, but if I had to go to on a long journey and get out the other end feeling fresh I’d take my 54 plate, 130,000mile car, not a 1960’s or 70’s classic.

The classic trucks you do see working tend to be some haulage companies bosses indulgence and mighty fine they look too, but the company has a fleet of modem trucks for most of the work.

robroy:
Got any pics of it mate?

What do you think ? :unamused:

AndrewG:

Andy.

No way would I even look at it , I did Malaga return loaded both ways for years double cabbed with the missus pulling a tanker with an 1986 F12 400 . Today’s trucks would make the difference back to cover the rental per month in fuel economy and far far fewer breakdowns and extra costs involved surely. It is a nice dream, leave it as one because the rose tinted specs will bankrupt you in today’s world. And what company wants a sub contractor with a classic truck as a workhorse ?..Euro subbing is crazy to anyone wanting to make a living when the locals there work for a month for what you want to earn a week. The day is long gone …I wish that was not the case but unless you are hauling for yourself it’s the truth Sadly.