Community Speedwatch

New thing around my local area, it’s normally mr plod with his hair dryer, can the new community watchers book you or do they just pass your details on to mr plod? Then wouldn’t it be your word against there’s

dreamlands2001:
New thing around my local area, it’s normally mr plod with his hair dryer, can the new community watchers book you or do they just pass your details on to mr plod? Then wouldn’t it be your word against there’s

They pass it on to plod who take no immediate legal action but if it gets to a few times by the same vehicle then it involves plod taking action which could be a home visit !

Community speedwatch must be for when neighbourhood watch haven’t seen enough to gossip about or enough planning applications to object to.

dreamlands2001:
Then wouldn’t it be your word against there’s

Hardly their ‘word’ against yours if they have been provided with a hair dryer of their own … but no they can’t take any action and can only pass information to the Police. As Rog has said this could result in further action.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this sort of thing.
On one hand we have the nimby type weasel type fannys that fancy themselves as Traffic Police, but on the other hand they and other villagers, are probably severely ■■■■■■ off with knob type truck drivers flying through their village.

I live in a 30mph limit rural village and it does my ■■■■ nut in.

When my kids were little you had to have eyes in the back of your head.
Only recently this guy came around the corner in an artic on the wrong side as my wife and youngest daughter were coming in the opposite direction in her car. She was quite shook up, I just saw red, got in car and caught up with him on the by pass and had a word with him in the lay by.
To be fair he did apologise, (although I secretly hoped he would be agressive as I was that way out)
I always try and keep below the limit in the villages I frequently pass through in my job.

And you can bet the hair dryer operators don’t report their friends…

a village local to me had a community committee who nagged the police for speeding checks , first ticket issued to …… chairman of the committee . the moaning seemed to stop after that .

i can fully understand roy’s way of thinking as i live on the outskirts of a small village my self however it is the job of the police to police and dogooders are not trained etc etc ,on a slightly simular note take traffic officers , wannabe policemen ,some are polite and ok others are wnkers ,two came into msa one night while i was taking 45 one 6ft the other 4t9ins who strutted about like he was the tallest they got there free meal and sat next table to me ,you a truck driver ,me,im not telling you ,why because i dont want to , but im only asking , im not deaf i can hear you i just choose not to answer , etc etc in the end i moved ,told he was a ■■■■■■ and left before them ,you see them taking your reg when they pass you to grass you up they really go beyond the job .even on a tv quiz show one said im a traffic officer ,oh a police officer ,no but we do the same job , no you ferkin dont ,was also at hub one night weather was minus10 plus ,a driver was trying to open curtains but was shaking with cold so we helped him ,his tale ,he got a puncture and traffic officer said he had to stand over the barrier ,in total just over 3 hours ,they tried it with me and jump jockey one night near j15 m6 told them you stand there if you want but ill take my chance on the bunk with heaters blowing at full wack , point is give a man a foremans hat an they turn into an arsehle sorry rant over

Usually retired busybodies with sad boring lives wanting a bit of excitement playing at being Mr Plod! The other reason I don’t like them is they are doing the polices work on the cheap. If the roads need policing then let the police do it not amateurs.

If they report you for speeding you receive a letter from the police warning you to be a good motorist and if caught again you will be in dodo.

ROG:
They pass it on to plod who take no immediate legal action but if it gets to a few times by the same vehicle then it involves plod taking action which could be a home visit !

Better come with a warrant then.

if OAPs pass on details and it went to court,surely they could not make it stick,the powers given to these OAPs must be illegal as they are normal civilians

Two witnesses in court, the Smokin chimp an a member of the blue rinse brigade, who would you believe ? :laughing:

truckman020:
…the powers given to these OAPs must be illegal…

:laughing:

What powers are “given to these OAPs”?

Another cant dress themselves post, Fact you cant be done by them, fact they are nobody’s, fact the plods cant do anything, Fact the mind boggles why your even talking about it.

Few years ago a main route on way to my work was shut so had to go through a 30 mph rural village. Being a good chap I stuck to 30 but everyday this old ■■■■ was outside his house with the hairdryer and the sour look on his face when it showed you doing 30 was a picture. I seen him coming out of his house and remembered it so when I was coming home I may of lost some of the litter from my day at work outside his house. Serves the ■■■■■■■ right.

at some point in the future,a fanny will point a hair dryer at someone driving,who will then drive at him and run him overwith the excuse being…i thought he was a terrorist pointing a gun at me so I protected myself as best I could…or is there a better excuse I cant think of? although if you could be bothered,then phoning plod saying theres a maniac with a gun and a blue rinse in the middle of the road might work wonders.

The dog that aint petrol makes an interesting point.

Saw one of these at Brinklow last week it DoD the job made me slow to the limit so I guess it works

Even easier for them is to install a fake speed camera - no need to stand out in the cold and rain. For example there’s one on the A616 from Newark in Cotteral which slows the majority of traffic coming down the hill in a 40 zone. The camera is a genuine Gatzo box, but nothing inside and is installed by a farmer on his private land (only just).

Even has the yellow stripes on the back now. It’s ignored by the locals, but causes a lot of sudden breaking amongst everyone else down to about 30mph.

There used to be a sign about community speedwatch, but that seemed to get replaced by official speed camera signs - not sure how that works legally as it’s obviously not an official camera. Could never be official anyway as Nottinghamshire like the Truvelo cameras and average speed cameras everywhere.

Gosh, the temerity of the general public in wishing that monstrous 44 ton juggernauts would come off their speed limiters when passing through small villages … how dare they!