Clean Hi-Viz (Spot the new boy!)

I start on agency Saturday & I have a spotlessly clean (new) Hi-Viz.
Now this worries me, as I can already hear in my mind “Ay up, here comes the new boy!”

So if I’m going to conform to strict Agency worker guidelines, I need to get my Hi-Viz properly worn in, and permeating that special agency smell.
Any suggestions■■?

Smear some 5th wheel grease on it and then, whilst wearing it, roll around on the floor for a bit. This will age it and give it that worked in look that you’re after.

Check your car oil without a rag and use your hands then wipe off with hi-vis. Get a full English wae a runny egg, be sure to spill some egg and beans on it. Sit on it for the next few days and ■■■■ into it.

I’m a grown man taking about ■■■■■■■ into a hi-vis where did my life go wrong :cry:

I’m only Class C :unamused: - So no 5th wheel… (Or is that in the cab somewhere? :open_mouth:)

What I’m after though is that proper “hasn’t ever been washed” look.
I was also considering some grafetti on it. Maybe the name Daz on the front (Even though that’s not my name)

All suggestions welcome

Remember my first day on the trucks & people telling me I need a egg stained white vest.
Times have changed very quickly!
Good luck remember to stay safe and legal :slight_smile: :wink:
with a clean hiviz you may get mistaken for a office bod :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
I’m only Class C :unamused: - So no 5th wheel…

Ask a proper lorry driver if you can have some of his then.

Just don’t wear it while driving, it just says “AGENCY” to everybody, and it’s common belief amongst us 'real drivers :sunglasses: ( :unamused: :laughing: ) that if you do,… you look a complete 2 at, and in my own personal opinion those that do should be beaten up :laughing: .

Contraflow:

Evil8Beezle:
I’m only Class C :unamused: - So no 5th wheel…

Ask a proper lorry driver if you can have some of his then.

Has my shift already started? :open_mouth:

■■■■!.. I must be the oddball in the yard. I wash my hivis vest and jacket at the end of each month. Must be the forces training, or that I don’t want to be a riffy greaseball!

robroy:
Just don’t wear it while driving, it just says “AGENCY” to everybody, and it’s common belief amongst us 'real drivers :sunglasses: ( :unamused: :laughing: ) that if you do,… you look a complete 2 at, and in my own personal opinion those that do should be beaten up :laughing: .

No fear there; for start you can see the reflection, and I look bad enough without the vest! :smiley:
And to be fair, I’ll be out delivering cages to shops, so maybe I’ll get away with not really wearing it at all.

But if i do that, it’ll never get it worn in! :unamused:

Good luck on Saturday, polish yer boots to parade ground standard too, clean shirt, proper ironed shirt that is not the typical bloody eggy polo, clean hi vis finishes the ensemble, then politeness a courtesy puts the icing on the cake.
Do yer job well, take a pride in it whatever it is you do.

Sod what other drivers think they aint going to give you a job (that’s not strictly true TBH, some drivers on good jobs will recommend someone they think might help keep that good job good for ever), you never know who’s watching or who you might meet, gaffers of proper paying companies don’t go round with the word tattoed on their foreheads, first impressions tend to stick in minds.

When i see a hi vis being worn in the cab on the open road i give the vehicle a very wide berth, too often the idiot element has them stitched on, if they’re too bone idle to remove said garment then learning to drive properly or giving a monkeys either way will be beyond wildest dreams.

ooh, cages to shops, totty spotting and paid for it, yessss.

rab6600:
■■■■!.. I must be the oddball in the yard. I wash my hivis vest and jacket at the end of each month. Must be the forces training, or that I don’t want to be a riffy greaseball!

That’s enforced OCD training, and I can see it in a couple my ex forces mates.

It’s when you start polishing the pipes in the bathroom with a piece of cardboard. Then you know you have a problem! :open_mouth:

Ah… so that’s not normal then? wondered why the missus was giving me strange looks!

Thanks Juddian!

I agree with everything you say, it’s good advice! My biggest worry is keeping a lid on my sense of humour. As I am prone to the odd satirical outburst that doesn’t always hit the mark. When I worked for one of the worlds biggest software companies (No names), I did once in a group meeting, respond to the news from the manager that we were the 67th best company in the world to work for, with the replay of “Excellent, I only have 66 CV’s to write”. I don’t think he was amused… :unamused:

The only other query I have is about footwear, as I was going to wear my steel toecap Makita site boots.
But upon reflection, possibly not! Should I be getting a pair of black boots, or sturdy shoes?
Or will they not care if I don’t wear steel toecaps out on the road?

As an agency driver you are usually driving a truck that a full time driver spends his working days in. When I did it I found that cabs varied from spotless to manky. I even refused to drive a specially doggy one. For the most part they are fairly clean and tidy and I made a point of trying to leave them a bit better than I found them. I carried a small brush and some wet wipes in my bag and it’s surprising how much better a cab looks with the floor swept and the plastic wiped.

In some companies, usually the smaller and better ones, the drivers opinions are taken on board. So when one goes on holiday and says to the boss “Any chance of getting Santa again?” he asks the agency, who get the message that you are better than average. This means that they choose you for the better jobs.

Nearly everyone wants steelies, so long as they’re clean and not coco the clown colours i’m sure your dirt digging boots will be fine… :open_mouth: they’re not bloody safety trainers are they, please say no… :wink: and Christ not rigger boots please unless you’re on tippers where it’s part of the uniform of hell drivers… :laughing:

Don’t lose the sense of humour A you’ll need it, and B the vast majority of the other drivers will be as miserable as bloody sin and you’ll get right up their nose by being cheerful… :smiling_imp:

Good tips from Santa, some of the agency lads leave mine better than full timers.

Santa:
As an agency driver you are usually driving a truck that a full time driver spends his working days in. When I did it I found that cabs varied from spotless to manky. I even refused to drive a specially doggy one. For the most part they are fairly clean and tidy and I made a point of trying to leave them a bit better than I found them. I carried a small brush and some wet wipes in my bag and it’s surprising how much better a cab looks with the floor swept and the plastic wiped.

In some companies, usually the smaller and better ones, the drivers opinions are taken on board. So when one goes on holiday and says to the boss “Any chance of getting Santa again?” he asks the agency, who get the message that you are better than average. This means that they choose you for the better jobs.

Yes mate, you have to make the right impress to get on, that I’ve learn’t all my life. And from what I’ve gleamed from this forum, possibly even more so in this industry. So thanks for the tips, and I’ll take wetwipes just for the hygiene considerations! :laughing:

Juddian:
Nearly everyone wants steelies, so long as they’re clean and not coco the clown colours i’m sure your dirt digging boots will be fine… :open_mouth: they’re not bloody safety trainers are they, please say no… :wink: and Christ not rigger boots please unless you’re on tippers where it’s part of the uniform of hell drivers… :laughing:

Don’t lose the sense of humour A you’ll need it, and B the vast majority of the other drivers will be as miserable as bloody sin and you’ll get right up their nose by being cheerful… :smiling_imp:

Good tips from Santa, some of the agency lads leave mine better than full timers.

Dark brown suede ankle boots. But they do look like they have been kicked around the building site! :laughing:

Maybe I should pop to somewhere like screwfix tomorrow…

Juddian:
When i see a hi vis being worn in the cab on the open road i give the vehicle a very wide berth, too often the idiot element has them stitched on, if they’re too bone idle to remove said garment then learning to drive properly or giving a monkeys either way will be beyond wildest dreams.

FFS What a stupid, ignorant and ridiculous statement.

Sod what other drivers think they aint going to give you a job

Remember that applies to all the comments on here too. Wear your hi-viz whenever and however you like, don’t follow the herd. If you are settling down for a long trunk run, then take it off. If you are constantly in and out the cab, and you have to deal with the self-promoted safety officer at every drop, then leave it on, and avoid any patronising comments.
You could also get a marker pen and write ‘CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?’ on the back. Always good for a laugh. :smiley: