As a truck driver, which European language is best to learn

SeaOcean:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Get an Eire passport if eligible, and so get a better choice of jobs.

I will consider an Eire passport if I find it really difficult. There might be an easier way though. I’ll see what happens.

Absolutely not required unless you want to live and/or work in European mainland.

There is loads of Euro work available to you without too much effort.

Northern Ireland is in the U.K. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Loads of companies over there running to Europe mainly with goods from Southern Ireland and your U.K. driving licence and DCPC card are fully valid to go all over Europe and beyond with them.

Many of these guys push on fairly hard so perhaps not for the novice but some are very decent. I imagine Carna Transport are amongst the good ones with no shortage of destinations but Beefy and other locals would be much more knowledgeable.

Ireland (Eire in Gaelic language) is the official name for the South and we know this is an EU country.

Due to a long shared history there are some unique agreements between U.K. and Ireland that supersede EU arrangements.

UK citizens are free to live and work in Ireland whenever they want for as long as they want and vice a versa. No permits, visas or anything else required. :smiley: :smiley:

So technically U.K. citizens are still free to live and work in the EU or at least in a very small corner of it.

Truck drivers will need an Irish Driving Licence and Irish or other EU DCPC (but not UK) card to drive for an Irish Operators Licence holder (Irish Haulier).

U.K. drivers licences in all categories can be simply exchanged for the Irish equivalent online.
ndls.ie/licensed-driver/exc … cence.html

The transition period for exchanging UK DCPC has passed so I believe an initial Irish or other EU DCPC will be required which is not a big deal anyway.
rsa.ie/services/professiona … pc-drivers

There are many hauliers in Ireland doing Euro work and there are plenty of openings there and I’m told they pay more than Northern Ireland.
I would suggest looking at Irish companies close to a Ryanair route from your local airport.

Also some of the larger Irish companies have UK branches (UK trucks and Operators Licence). Nolan’s, Dixon, O Toole (I think). Some of these just do UK work, some go over and back to Ireland and others pick up transiting trailers in Rugby etc and head on to deliver in Europe. So these this type of operation might be an easier introduction to the next rung on the ladder.

The Touring Bands business for Europe was mostly done by UK hauliers, ask Harry and others. A hard Brexit and the resulting max days per annum in Europe is causing real headaches as well as the cabotage requirements and the Tachograph requirement for drivers to return home at least every 4 weeks. Many of those same UK hauliers have set up token Irish branches to overcome some of those problems and their head offices cannot be too far from you so make your enquiries with them.

Even the main UK branch can suddenly but regularly become desperate for a driver to replace a faller during the touring season and if you are on their contact list and available rather than experienced when they phone you are on your way within hours.

But if I were back in your shoes I would go to my nearest cross channel port at ferry arrival time and make a list of every UK truck I see coming off the ferry. Sometimes you may need the reg as the paint job might just be the company they are pulling for. That way you will get a feel for the big and small companies going abroad from your area.

Then do a few more ports, talk to drivers, and build up a picture of who is in the game. Then you must call in personally to say hello to the hiring guy and give him your details just like Harry did.

Your break will come. There is some class 2 work to the continent, mostly removals or horses or bands but I would push ahead with a class 1 asap because you can get comfortable in class 2 and this narrows your opportunities.

The short answer to your question is FRENCH but in true Trucknet fashion we usually answer everything except the question that was asked.

I pick French because the routier restaurants are fab but you do not get a choice of seat not to mind choice of table. You simply have to sit beside the guy before you and the 6-10 drivers eat dinner together at each table. Once in a blue moon you might meet another Brit or Paddy, possibly a Dutchman and never an EE but 99.9% you will break bread and share wine with a bunch of Frenchmen.

More importantly as already said a few niceties in all languages goes a long way in this game.

Best of luck to you and others like you, it certainly can be done and is such a better driving job than UK congestion, crap attitudes, crap facilities and the list goes on.