Driver nicks diesel

Harry Monk:

fingermissing:
Turners estimated that Randall stole diesel on 138 occasions between October 2018 and May 2022, costing the company between £3,384 and £7,464.

The maths here (£3,384/138 and £7,464/138) suggests that he was stealing between £24.52 and £54.06 worth of diesel each time. I’m guessing he was using 25 litre drums, hiding them in the lay-by somewhere and then picking them up in his car later? It seems a bit too much to waltz out of the company gate with.

I was looking at those figures and came to a similar answer. I wasn’t sure about how much cherry that would be as it’s cheaper than DERV, but 25l drums sounds about right.
The report does say he was doing it in a layby near Penrith. I’d imagine that’d be close enough to home for picking up later.
It’s a very wide range though, more than double from low to high estimates.

You’d think they’d notice fairly quickly, that one of there fridge units was suddenly using a hell of a lot of diesel, on the odd day or two.
It’s one thing nicking 5l of derv everytime you fill up. Different drivers can get better or worse mpg. That guys a bit heavy footed compared to most of our lads.
But fridge units tend to use virtually the same amount of fuel on a daily basis. They’re either running, or off, and not open to the various drivers abilities to influence. Maybe they were just giving him plenty of rope to hang himself with?