Self driving trucks,driving me up the wall!

So,Ive had my fill of the new merc “driver assistance”,its slowed down when it shouldnt,sped up when it shouldnt,and if I cross the white line,the steering correction feels like theres someone in the passenger seat trying to yank the steering wheel.After a week,Id had enough,the only thing I wanted to know was how to disable all these aids.But when I mentioned this to the gaffer,he told me some companies are forcing drivers to have all these systems on.Is this true?
Heaven help us if this is where we are heading!

It’s just a different way of interacting with the truck and communicating with it to tell it what you want it to do. Accelerating with buttons, steering by indicator.

May be no better time to hang on to one of the oldest trucks in the fleet.

Sploom:
So,Ive had my fill of the new merc “driver assistance”,its slowed down when it shouldnt,sped up when it shouldnt,and if I cross the white line,the steering correction feels like theres someone in the passenger seat trying to yank the steering wheel.After a week,Id had enough,the only thing I wanted to know was how to disable all these aids.But when I mentioned this to the gaffer,he told me some companies are forcing drivers to have all these systems on.Is this true?

I’ve told my lot I don’t want one of those electronic abortions. especially with those ‘tech for tech’s sake’’ ■■■■ mirror cams.
I told them I want to keep my 66 plate,.said I’d even have a decent second hand non Merc.
Call me old fashioned or whatever tf you like,…but I like to drive the truck not have the truck driving me. :neutral_face:

Just out of interest…can you actually knock all that crap off,.and do you have to everytime you switch the ignition off and back on again ?

Don’t come back with …‘If anything happens and it’s proven to be knocked off’’ etc etc ,.as I don’t ■■■■ care.)
Afaik it’ ain’t compulsory by law to have all that stuff switched on.anyway.

1st thing I do in my daf is turn off the stupid aebs and the crossing the lane system.as fed up at times of doing an emergency stop for no reason.

I’m no legal expert but I would imagine if you disbale all the systems. And worst happened you had a crash. And it come out systems were off I imagine questions will be asked
As if on they maybe would of prevented it happening.

On similar note.
watched some BBC news programme thing in the early hours. there’s a fleet of self driving taxis in San Francisco.
Reporter orded it on his phone turns up at your address no driver at all you get in back seat and it takes drives you to destination.
Seemed to work altough he said was a bit slow and cautious .
Been around. Few months apparently.
Is amazing what they can do these days.
Yet also frightening as well. Esp if the system failed or was hacked into

robroy:

Sploom:
Just out of interest…can you actually knock all that crap off,.and do you have to everytime you switch the ignition off and back on again ?.

I have a routine with the MAN I drive every time I switch the ignition on; I turn off the lane departure, I then disable “driver assistance “ and I also adjust the brake variable to +2 which basically means that it’ll coast up to 2mph more than my cruise set speed (53mph in my case) and then it’ll engage the exhaust brake and drop a gear or two if necessary, no overspeeds for me :smiley:. It sounds like a PITA but in reality it’s less than 10 seconds work each time I start up.

The only thing that I do not disable is the automatic braking because of the obvious implications if I’m involved in a bump, and tbh the MAN system in the latest incarnation is actually very good and is only triggered when it should be and it has beaten me to the brake by micro seconds.

robroy:

Sploom:

I’ve told my lot I don’t want one of those electronic abortions. especially with those ‘tech for tech’s sake’’ [zb] mirror cams.
I told them I want to keep my 66 plate,.said I’d even have a decent second hand non Merc.
Call me old fashioned or whatever tf you like,…but I like to drive the truck not have the truck driving me. :neutral_face:

Just out of interest…can you actually knock all that crap off,.and do you have to everytime you switch the ignition off and back on again ?

Don’t come back with …‘If anything happens and it’s proven to be knocked off’’ etc etc ,.as I don’t [zb] care.)
Afaik it’ ain’t compulsory by law to ha
Tve all that stuff switched on.anyway.

The problem is,when you turn the ignition off and on it all comes on by default.That means ,when I get to the gatehouse,he cant hear me so I have to switch the engine off.When I restart,I have to scroll through all the menus turning them all off If I forget,it would mean doing it while driving,which ,given its a touch screen interface ,would be as much a distraction as a mobile phone.And there is a camera watching me in the cab.I dont know if it is legak to use all that while youre druving

edd1974:
1st thing I do in my daf is turn off the stupid aebs and the crossing the lane system.as fed up at times of doing an emergency stop for no reason.

AEBS doesn’t turn off fully. I do the DAF dance when I get into mine too, lane change warning off, adaptive cruise control off, hill crest set to zero. Don’t bother with turning the AEBS off as it still triggers going under certain bridges. Only good thing is I’ve learnt pretty much what bridges and overhead motorway road signs trigger what vehicles so I’m already waiting for it to happen and if overtaking I’ll not pull in front of what I’ve overtaken til I’ve got past the bridge.

edd1974:

I’m no legal expert but I would imagine if you disbale all the systems. And worst happened you had a crash. And it come out systems were off I imagine questions will be asked
As if on they maybe would of prevented it happening.

On similar note.
watched some BBC news programme thing in the early hours. there’s a fleet of self driving taxis in San Francisco.
Reporter orded it on his phone turns up at your address no driver at all you get in back seat and it takes drives you to destination.
Seemed to work altough he said was a bit slow and cautious .
Been around. Few months apparently.
Is amazing what they can do these days.
Yet also frightening as well. Esp if the system failed or was hacked into

Yes,scarey.I wouldnt get into one,no way

Sploom:
And there is a camera watching me in the cab.I dont know if it is legak to use all that while youre druving

Don’t worry about the camera in the cab mate , they are there solely to protect YOU I have heard.
Also apparentlly ‘‘If you are doing nothing wrong why worry about it,’’ …
AND… we’ve even been told on here that …’ The BEST firms to work for are those that put cameras in their cabs.‘’
So.don’t give it a second thought.

Haha,yes

robroy:

As is proved with this OP and over and over again you do have to drive them, learn to drive them, simply in a different way which too many don’t realise or are too pig headed to learn (not a comment on OP). For instance 90% of the complaints about autos I see are simply from people who haven’t taken time to learn how to drive them.

Best truck I’ve ever driven and one that made me realise that tech is way further advanced than I thought (and it was several years ago) was a fully loaded Volvo demonstrator. I had to learn how to drive it to best effect every bit as much as I would have an F12 in the 80’s or F89 in the 70’s, more even, just meant learning different things. And once you learn the fact you can go over the Alps on cruise control, up and down without touching the pedals except to stop at peages is great for making you smile. Plus it was dual clutch and no word of a lie if I could have any truck I’d take a dual clutch 540 over a standard 750 (max power for dual is 540). From a standing start a dual clutch wouldn’t be very far from a 750 at all.

youtu.be/4LQZYBj3XNM

Sploom:

robroy:

Sploom:

I’ve told my lot I don’t want one of those electronic abortions. especially with those ‘tech for tech’s sake’’ [zb] mirror cams.

Don’t come back with …‘If anything happens and it’s proven to be knocked off’’ etc etc ,.as I don’t [zb] care.)
Afaik it’ ain’t compulsory by law to ha
Tve all that stuff switched on.anyway.

The problem is,when you turn the ignition off and on it all comes on by default.That means ,when I get to the gatehouse,he cant hear me so I have to switch the engine off.When I restart,I have to scroll through all the menus turning them all off If I forget,it would mean doing it while driving,which ,given its a touch screen interface ,would be as much a distraction as a mobile phone.And there is a camera watching me in the cab.I dont know if it is legak to use all that while youre druving

That last sentence reminds me of 'Allo allo. :laughing:

Sploom:

Interesting, when I was doing the air freight a few weeks ago before I ■■■■■■ it off, they had 21 plate mercs tablet mirrors(horrible things). Only driving aid they had were the wake the driver up noise if you dont indicate and the auto breaking. I’d have a guess if its optionals from factory. These we’re leased from Enterprised so proberly ■■■■■■ specs. I wasn’t able to find away of turning either off, with the limited touch screen options. Who’s idea was it to put touch screens in trucks, even to turn heating on or off, you need to take eyes of the road?

tommymanc:

Interesting, when I was doing the air freight a few weeks ago before I [zb] it off, they had 21 plate mercs tablet mirrors(horrible things). Only driving aid they had were the wake the driver up noise if you dont indicate and the auto breaking. I’d have a guess if its optionals from factory. These we’re leased from Enterprised so proberly [zb] specs. I wasn’t able to find away of turning either off, with the limited touch screen options. Who’s idea was it to put touch screens in trucks, even to turn heating on or off, you need to take eyes of the road?

All the controls are replicated in physical buttons underneath the touch screen. Including heating and turning off lane control. RTFM

Conor:

edd1974:

AEBS doesn’t turn off fully. I do the DAF dance when I get into mine too, lane change warning off, adaptive cruise control off, hill crest set to zero. Don’t bother with turning the AEBS off as it still triggers going under certain bridges. Only good thing is I’ve learnt pretty much what bridges and overhead motorway road signs trigger what vehicles so I’m already waiting for it to happen and if overtaking I’ll not pull in front of what I’ve overtaken til I’ve got past the bridge.

So it’s not just me that finds that problem haha. I’d say most of our vehicles (all Dafs) try and perform an emergency brake going under the same m6 bridge between j34 & 33 Southbound. Very peculiar things.

I had a daf in my old job.It used to try and do an emergency brake on that flyover that leads on to the M1,junction 2

So basically that particular aspect of tech on DAFs are unfit for purpose, bordering on dangerous if they are doing what are essentially emergency stops every so often…so why were they passed for production before being perfected,?
At least I know now to keep my distance when following the ■■■■ things in future.

Get ready to go on ADAS courses to prove you have been trained on them. “Thatcham wants to see mandatory video tutorials on stationary vehicle infotainment systems on all advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and self-driving technologies. Ideally, drivers would have to notify that these videos have been watched before the systems would be able to be used.” fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet- … -ambitions

The self driving doesn’t bother me in the new Actros. Even the mirrors. It’s all the other car stuff that I hate.

The electronic handbrake is useless and doesn’t work half the time. There is nothing wrong with the old fashioned method.

The heating controls all on a touch screen or flat buttons that have zero tactile feel and is a distraction and not safe. Daf’s and Scania’s clicking knobs are perfect as you can feel how much you go up or down without having to look down at all.

Push to start is rubbish. Turn a key and instant on and off you go. Turn your engine off in a jam or lights and it only takes a split second to get going again. Actros you push and hold the button, wait for the dash to come on and wait for an eternity for the engine to start only to have to deal with that stupid handbrake again!

A lot of people in suits reinventing the wheel for the sake of it rather than thinking if it is actually better.