Hours question

Hi all

I’ve been driving lorry’s for years but this is the first time I have had to push my hours on a daily basis as I only recently started driving C1.

When I finished yesterday I was asked how many hours I have left for the next night like I get asked at the end of every shift and I told them I only had 12h left and she looked confused. My thinking was because my first night shift this week I did a 14.5h second 13.4h and third 13.3h so am I right in thinking even tho this is my last night this week because I’m on a 4on4off shift pattern I’ve only got 12h I can do because I’ve done 3 reduced daily rest this week or can I do more because this is my last night this week.

Thanks for any info
Dan

Everything is on a fixed week. From 00 00 sun night/mon morning
You can do 3 15 hours hour shifts a week rest of shifts have be 13 hours…
I keep hearing at times it’s 3 x15 hours over a 2 week period. Ie you do 3 this week next week can’t do any. Or 1 this week 2 next week… altough don’t think this is the law unless others prove me wrong.

Why need a diary so can quickly see how many hours you’ve done.
Don’t forget time starts as soon as card goes in so if you work 13 hrs 1 Min. Technailly it’s classed as a 15 hour shift…
If your on 4 on 4 off your days are sat sun Mon Tue. I’m guessing you could do 15 hours all 4 days as it over laps 2 weeks.? Don’t know on that one.

Best advice will give if office ever ask you how many hours you have left just tell them 13. As soon as you say 15 there plan you a 15 hour shift.
Just keep saying 13.

After doing a 14.5 and a 13.5 and a 13.3 I would have told her I only have 8 hours left! :smiley: :smiley:

If you’ve done three shifts over 13 hours (which you have), you’ve used your three reduced rests so your next shift must be a full daily rest of at least 11 hours, meaning you can be at work 13 hours as an absolute maximum.

Remember as you work 4/4 your run of days in will sometimes split over two weeks ie Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon in work. It doesn’t matter as the rules say “maximum three reduced rests BETWEEN TWO WEEKLY REAT PERIODS”

Oh ok so had the right idea because I’ve done 3 reduced this week it’s 13h I have for my last day not 12 probably why she look a me confused lol. But I understand now thanks for the help

edd1974:

Reduced daily rests are between any two weekly rests and not on the fixed week

ROG:

edd1974:

Is it the 2 x 10 hr drive time that’s in a fixed week?

stu675:

ROG:

edd1974:

Is it the 2 x 10 hr drive time that’s in a fixed week?

Yes.

So it’s perfectly fine and safe to drive 10hrs Saturday and Sunday then again on Monday and Tuesday as the fixed week changes.

But its an unsafe and heinous crime to do the same on say a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday…

Tis a quirk of the rules that could be easily solved by changing extended drives from “fixed weeks” to “between weekly rests” but I guess there will always be an anomaly in some way. Plus more doubt restricting the hours we can do will upset some folk who love to “bang them in” (the hours I mean) and so on.

If you have used your reduced rests, you really shouldn’t be planned for anything very long at all because you have exhausted the safety net that you had.

On the last day of a 4 day stretch with your days off coming up, you really don’t want to end up having to night out because of stupid and incompetent planning.

I would be saying: ‘plan me a 10 thanks’, which gives you 3 hours leeway if anything happens.

Find yourself another job mate.
That place will push you into an early grave.

Juddian:

I couldn’t agree more. Always remember you are a long time dead !

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Juddian:

He’s done around 41 hrs duty in 3 days, and another 13 will take him up to 54, (We don’t know how many hours he has driven), then he has four days off.
Surely that’s not excessive, is it?
I would have thought that on 4 on 4 off, that a daily shift pattern like the one described would be quite normal.

Old John:

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Juddian:

He’s done around 41 hrs duty in 3 days, and another 13 will take him up to 54, (We don’t know how many hours he has driven), then he has four days off.
I would have thought that on 4 on 4 off, that a daily shift pattern like the one described would be quite normal.

He’s on nights from how i read the OP, 12 hours including stat breaks is more than enough.
What we used to have to do in the bad old days and the effects we now feel every day from years of doing so, quite apart from the bags under our eyes that you could hump coal with, should not need to be repeated again in a first world country.

You know exactly what sort of outfit is involved here when he’s questioned after every shift how many hours they can get out of him the following night, you wouldn’t treat animals like this these days without incurring serious well deserved penalties.

Juddian:
You know exactly what sort of outfit is involved here when he’s questioned after every shift how many hours they can get out of him the following night, you wouldn’t treat animals like this these days without incurring serious well deserved penalties.

Yeah that’d have me running for the door by the end of the first week. Sod working like that, especially on nights. Nights should be 10-11hr at most. I really feel it much more on nights when I’ve done over a 10, especially if I’m on a late and finishing after 4am. Max hours are what you do on tramping because you’re out all week in the chuffing thing so you might as well.

Old John:

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Juddian:

No it’s not , I do most weeks 45 hrs in 3 days , and we keep getting told 4/4 off is the best shift out there , all the rest / days you get off , so it’s not as though he’s not got time to recover from doing a bit of work is it
When I worked in a engineering factory it was often 7 days a week , mon-sun , days , evenings & nights , and you were stood on your feet for that time , not sat on your fat ■■■