We might end up being respected after all

DCPCFML:

Roverman:
The supply chain may collapse within 2-3 weeks apparently.

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind

[motortransport]

Search for:

HOMENEWSINDUSTRY NEWSUK supply chain faces collapse in “two to three weeks”, RHA warns government

UK supply chain faces collapse in “two to three weeks”, RHA warns government

July 27, 2021 Carol Millett

[motortransport]

The UK is facing the collapse of the supply chain in the next two to three weeks, RHA chief executive Richard Burnett (pictured) warned this week.

Speaking to the BBC, Burnett said that despite meeting with Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last week to warn him of the perilous situation, the government is continuing to refuse to take any immediate action to tackle the severe HGV driver shortage.

In an interview with BBC broadcaster Paddy O’Connell on Sunday (25 July), Burnett said:
“We’re facing, potentially in the next two to three weeks, a collapse of the supply chain and we will see even bigger gaps on supermarket shelves because we cannot get product into the supply chain fast enough.

“We have got hauliers that have literally got vehicles parked up, unable to cover literally hundreds of thousands of loads on a daily basis. And that’s impacting the food supply chain.
This is a massive crisis – a crisis on a scale of which we have never seen before in this industry and government is burying its head in the sand – it’s not recognising the seriousness of the situation.

“I had a conversation with Grant Shapps last Thursday (22 July) for about 45 minutes to tell him that there’s going to be a collapse. That was on the back of conversations that I’ve had with the chief executives of large logistics businesses. They have told me that this is of crisis proportions and we’re not getting the support from government.”

The RHA is lobbying government to allow temporary visas for European HGV drivers to immediately plug the shortage of drivers in the UK, whilst longer-term measures are put in place to increase training and testing of new drivers.

Burnett explained: “We have asked for the Home Office Shortage Occupation List to recognise the shortage of HGV drivers and apply for temporary fees in the same way that DEFRA have provided those exemptions for seasonal workers, but still a resounding no. And still stonewalling and blocking any progress in terms of actually resolving this problem in the short term.”

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

The short version is that Richard Burnett is sick of his email inbox being clogged up with rants from two-bit haulage companies operating on a shoestring who are now having to pay £20/hr+ for a driver and want the cheap minimum wage flip-flops back. Flip-flops aren’t coming back and Richard knows that Grant Shapps has put his mobile number on his reject list and told him to tell the two-bit hauliers that the only answer is for them to get their hand in their pocket and pay the market rate, so Richard has upped the ante and is now making scare stories about a “complete collapse of the supply chain in two to three weeks” to put the ball back in Grant’s court in the hope it works and Grant sends flip-flops. :smiley:

More popcorn anyone?

That’s kind of what I thought when I read it.

The RHA care rock all about the industry. In 1980 the rates were P155 poor and they are (were) still P155 poor. It is incredulous. The Motor Transport cost tables might as well be a work of fiction as so many so called ‘professional hauliers’ are clearly running for a negative amount of money. Absolutely ludicrous.