Strike

Your thoughts gents…

Needs more than 3000 to make a difference and drivers simply don’t go through with it .

Be more effective on a rolling overtime ban till someone listens.

Be better if Hauliers went on strike and not the drivers, might listen quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working to rule is another course of action. For example the number of cages on the tail-lift, number of bins put on a bin lorry at one time. Taking the allocated time to do checks, filling up the vehicle and trailer as often as you are supposed to. Washing the vehicle, reporting every small defect. Going the speed limit, even on single carriageways. Not doing overtime or overtime shifts.

Not sure…

That strike action during a pandemic is the best PR idea we could come up with.

Right now Joe Public thinks everyone of us is now earning £30ph and that we’re being selfish.

Noremac:
Working to rule is another course of action. For example the number of cages on the tail-lift, number of bins put on a bin lorry at one time. Taking the allocated time to do checks, filling up the vehicle and trailer as often as you are supposed to. Washing the vehicle, reporting every small defect. Going the speed limit, even on single carriageways. Not doing overtime or overtime shifts.

Sounds like a normal shift to me

All drivers for 3 days, then you will see the power you have if you stick together.

Perhaps before striking, it might be handy to layout what changes of conditions are being sought?

dcgpx:
Needs more than 3000 to make a difference and drivers simply don’t go through with it .

The number is irrelevant. Drivers won’t go through with it. They’ll all support your cause from the comfort of their armchair at home whilst typing on the internet but when it comes to actually doing it, you’ll be on your own and met with a barrage of excuses why they couldn’t make it, have mortgage to pay etc, can’t afford to take a day off as I need my 78 hours me. 99% of drivers are all mouth and no trousers. See Barrie Tozer.

There was a guy on here not that long ago who tried to set up a union at his place. All the drivers said it was a great idea and would support it, but when it came to putting it into action, no-one bothered to fill in and return the paperwork they were given. Drivers get what they deserve.

Give it up already, look after number one and [zb] the whingers.

Noremac:

I never break the speed limit anyway,singles,doubles,whatever,no way will I risk my license for anyone

DCPCFML:

dcgpx:

The number is irrelevant. Drivers won’t go through with it. They’ll all support your cause from the comfort of their armchair at home whilst typing on the internet but when it comes to actually doing it, you’ll be on your own and met with a barrage of excuses why they couldn’t make it, have mortgage to pay etc, can’t afford to take a day off as I need my 78 hours me. 99% of drivers are all mouth and no trousers. See Barrie Tozer.

There was a guy on here not that long ago who tried to set up a union at his place. All the drivers said it was a great idea and would support it, but when it came to putting it into action, no-one bothered to fill in and return the paperwork they were given. Drivers get what they deserve.

Give it up already, look after number one and [zb] the whingers.

Yes that was moi. On initial canvassing 83 drivers (out of 96 full time) were well up for it which was more conclusive than I thought it would be so I then went through all the research, spoke to various unions got information, canvassed again to see if people were happy with the one I’d identified and yes they were. So the I approached them, explained the situation and managed to get them to send me all paperwork needed, posters, flyers etc and even managed to blag pre-paid return envelopes so it cost absolutely nothing and was no hassle to join. I handed them all out, after knocking up a sheet of names to keep track - all in my own time - and in the end apart from myself I got two forms back.

After that I realised how spineless they were or how much they valued the £3 a week in their bank instead of going as union subs. So now I’m very much “balls to them” and look after myself and when I hear more dissent I just remind them to not moan.

It’s quite therapeutic in a way watching everyone get stressed about everything. One guy was moaning saying I’m doing less hours than him. I had to remind him that once I’ve gone over my contract and I’m asked to “nip or pop” elsewhere I’ll say no unless I want to do it rather than just accepting more and more as a default.

Acorn:
Perhaps before striking, it might be handy to layout what changes of conditions are being sought?

36 grand basic, time and half after 8 and 25 days hol.

JeffA:

Acorn:

36 grand basic, time and half after 8 and 25 days hol.

Okay, so anyone on more than that has no need to strike. Perhaps conditions may have something to do with how drivers are managed and treated. Could this be the time to tweak drivers hours, which for some, means they are out to the limit every day as an rxpectation, the clash between legal requirement to take breaks versus the reducing facilities (lay-bys/stops) to do so, ete, etc.

Tbh this should have been done in the last 15 years or before.
Since, and ,when the job has been turned to crap by various means, both by authority and by employers.
Why strike now ffs when firms are bending over backwards to keep us by giving pay raises, and working on their charm offensive strategy as I hear most are now.
The only reason we should do some kind of protest is to do with ridiculous legally allowed, (and in mosr cases expected) maximun working hours and minimum rest periods.
Also the chronic overnight parking situation in this country.

robroy:
Since, and ,when the job has been turned to crap by various means, both by authority and by employers.
Why strike now ffs when firms are bending over backwards to keep us by giving pay raises, and working on their charm offensive strategy as I hear most are now.
The only reason we should do some kind of protest is to do with ridiculous legally allowed, (and in mosr cases expected) maximun working hours and minimum rest periods.

I think the idea of strikes is to time for maximum effect and maximum disruption to be honest. By the book of organising strikes, it would seem like a time to do it when drivers are badly in need, because the disruption caused is so much more. Not saying I agree with the whole concept, much better for drivers to boycott poorly paying firms completely and force them under over the last number of years.

I do worry slightly about drivers simply not turning up. If there is no discussion or vote or communication with the employer about the reason why, this could just be treated as an unauthorised day off at many firms. I know the boot is on the other foot at the moment, but still.

Noremac:

robroy:

I think the idea of strikes is to time for maximum effect and maximum disruption to be honest. By the book of organising strikes, it would seem like a time to do it when drivers are badly in need, because the disruption caused is so much more. Not saying I agree with the whole concept, much better for drivers to boycott poorly paying firms completely and force them under over the last number of years.

I do worry slightly about drivers simply not turning up. If there is no discussion or vote or communication with the employer about the reason why, this could just be treated as an unauthorised day off at many firms. I know the boot is on the other foot at the moment, but still.

Yeh I do understand the concept of strikes and the best time to implement them believe it or not.
My point was that up until recently the main reason for a potential strike would be to up wages and improve conditions.
Afaik most of us have had at least 1 pay raise in the last few months, and firms are bending over backwards to keep us sweet.
So why make them suffer for lost earnings, … instead use that energy to target the relevant authorities with some kind of fuel crisis esque blockade by convoy or similar, for the reasons I mentioned.

3000 drivers saying they will not turn in for the day?
How many will actually go through with it?

What is needed is a Union for drivers. To serve us and not
feather there own nest.

With out a clear set of goals this will fail .
If its just about money - it will fail .
If you want to strike do it to improve conditions . For example -
1- more truck parks , with proper security .
2-road builders to improve laybys - ie make them deeper with a running lane so that parked trucks are 20 odd feet or more away from a live traffic lane .
3 - put cctv in laybys and use it to catch theives
4 - get the unlicensed hooligan hauliers and drivers off the road
5- set minimum rates for haulage and end the constant cycle of undercutting rates

Need to include standard wages instead of sick pay.

Even if that means leaving OT out of equation it’s still a massive step forward.

And if people take piddle it’s easy to cover it by a std process

When I worked at RM they had a decent system that limited that problem, didn’t eliminate it but it soon became apparent who was working system

robroy:

This. It’s certainly become less about the pay and how we’re getting treated by employers over the last few months as can be seen from the posts on social media and that’s a situation that’s looking like it’s only going to improve as the government tell the RHA the shortage is one of their own making.

Being able to take a reduced daily rest at base certainly is one of the things that needs to get binned. There’s a world of difference between having a 9 off when you’re already sat in your bedroom when you park up and sat in your workplace when you wake up the following morning and having 9 off when you’ve got to knock off the commute unless you live right next door to the yard.

All this pingdemic doesn’t apply to us the government hav moved the goalposts…
If your a critical.key worker you don’t have to isolate just take a daily test .
All a.joke

Personally yes I’d like a nice pay rise.
But I’d be happy to settle.for.better.condtions and extra 5 days holiday anytime as 20 days.is.nothing really.
Give me.25 days and I’d be happy