NIGHT DRIVERS - What's it like?

Been doing nights almost a year now. It was a shock to the system at first but I did adapt to it after a few weeks. I work 4 on 4 off though and find it gives you a decent amount of time to still have a social life and not screw your sleep pattern up completely. I wouldn’t entertain it for a second if I was on 5 on 2 off. I start between 3pm and 7pm and am usually do 10 hours average. Weekends are quieter, Mondays and Fridays are worst and can result in doing a 13 or 14 hour but you take the rough with the smooth. I try if possible to get an early start early finish on my last one so I can get home get in bed for a few hours and get up early enough so I’ve not lost half my first day off but like I said working 4 on 4 off takes the pressure off a bit if you have a crap shift and end up finishing late. It took a few weeks to get into a routine but I generally get in bed as soon as I finish my last shift and have about 3 hours to recharge and then force myself to get up so my 1st day isn’t wasted. It’s enough to keep me going throughout the rest of the day and am usually knackered by 10pm so have an early night and catch up on sleep, by 2nd day off I’m refreshed and have my body clock back in day mode for 2 days Last day off I stay in bed till till dinnertime and then force myself to stay up right through the night. Get In bed about 4 or 5am have a good 9 hours sleep and it gets my body clock back into night mode for 4 nights back in work. I don’t really suffer with varying sleep times. So long as I get at least 7 hours at some point during the day/night I feel fine. With regards to actual working conditions. Roads are quieter but you end up on every sodding night closure and diversion that the traffic wombles throw at you on a nightly basis and when they shut 3 or 4 different ones on a distance run it gets rather annoying, but hey ho it’s part of what you sign up for doing nights. As others have said, take plenty of food and drinks as nights takes it toll on the body. It’s even more exaggerated if you throw in Mcd’s and other crap for every meal each night as that’s all you’ll get. Taking a 45, I don’t have too much issue parking as I just take them in our yard in between runs if on locals, at destination before heading back if I can get there on longer runs. If I have to use services I never leave it till the last minute just in case I have to keep going but usually can plonk it somewhere that isn’t going to cause anyone any grief just for 45 minutes. Occasionally have to do nights out, that’s a pain in the rectal area as it’s ■■■■ near impossible trying to find somewhere to park up for 11 hours at 3am in the morning. If you’re staying out on nights it’s a good idea to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to find somewhere, be prepared that you’ll more often end up trying 2 or 3 services and have to move on if no spaces before finding somewhere. If your company have a Snap account and you know where you can get to, pre book a slot if possible it makes a huge difference between a chilled out night and a stressful one. Seen so many get infringements leaving it til 9 hours 45 driving / or 14 Hours 45 working on the tacho and think they can just pull in next services park straight up and shut the curtains for 11 hours. It doesn’t happen unless it’s weekend when it’s a bit quieter. Anywhere within a 50 mile radius of London forget it any night as it’s usually full of our foreign Friend’s with their satellite dishes there waiting it out for the next day ferry back over to the continent. You’ll soon know yourself if nights are for you, if after a few weeks you’re struggling to adapt and it’s really affecting your health don’t be afraid to admit defeat and find something more suitable. No job is worth sticking with at a detriment on your life regardless of how well paid it is . It’s not for everyone.