Police and their limited resources....again

SIX Police ‘arrest’ 15 in an Essex pub,.a good use of their famous ‘‘limited resources’’, …but they should be out catching speeding motorists and truckers drinking coffee whilst driving. :laughing:
youtu.be/0vWpK5I6aTA

I used to collect them things as a child.Wasnt it on pots of jam or something,you collected the tokens…

Sploom:
I used to collect them things as a child.Wasnt it on pots of jam or something,you collected the tokens…

It was Robertson’s Marmalade that used the Gollywog emblem. Thousands of kids collected them. Thousands also had a cuddly Golly when they were little, and I bet they loved them and the thought that they were in any way offensive never entered their little heads. If anything, it would probably, in a round about way help integration, particularly in areas where coloured people were rarely seen.

fodenway:

Sploom:

It was Robertson’s Marmalade that used the Gollywog emblem. Thousands of kids collected them. Thousands also had a cuddly Golly when they were little, and I bet they loved them and the thought that they were in any way offensive never entered their little heads. If anything, it would probably, in a round about way help integration, particularly in areas where coloured people were rarely seen.

You think that gollies are a good educational tool?
That is surprising enough for my hair to stand on end, and my eyes to open wide!

Maybe children in countries with a small “white” population should be given dollies of men clothed in long white dresses, with pointy hats?
Maybe give them dolls of Lilly Savage? Show them “mainstream white culture”.

A shop 3 miles from my home in Spain sells gollies.The owner explains that white folk take a sharp intake of breath when they see them but it seems they are much liked by Afro Caribbean visitors who buy lots.Perhaps these people are not looking for an excuse to take offence.

At least we know now what to do if our houses get burgled .
No more waiting for 2 to 3 days for a police visit…only to receive a crime number :imp: … tell em you’re putting your golliwog collection in the front window,.and SIX of em will turn up right away. :unamused:
Sorted. :smiley:

robroy:
No more waiting for 2 to 3 days for a police visit…only to receive a crime number :imp: … tell em you’re putting your golliwog collection in the front window,.and SIX of em will turn up right away. :unamused:

Looks like they were told to remove the dollies in 2018
independent.co.uk/news/uk/c … 17611.html
So it took the police 5 years to rush out there.

robroy:

Makes a change from the previous best way to get rapid police attention, which was to tell them that some old Radio 1 DJ or has-been TV presenter touched you on the elbow when you were 12 years old. :laughing:

Franglais:

fodenway:

Sploom:

That is surprising enough for my hair to stand on end, and my eyes to open wide!

Maybe children in countries with a small “white” population should be given dollies of men clothed in long white dresses, with pointy hats?

What I meant,(and I’m referring back to the late fifties/early sixties) is that kids who’d never seen a coloured person might not look upon them a ‘strange’ or ‘alien’, or even scary if they’d got a cuddly toy golly that they probably loved and found comfort with. It could get them used to the idea of people with different coloured skin to their own. I remember going on a car trip to the Yorkshire Dales when I was about six (around 1959). My uncle told us that as we went through Bradford, we might see Indians. We, in our childish innocence, were looking out for bows and arrows and feathered head dress - we had seen that sort of “indians” on telly, but had never seen any of the Asian type. I didn’t have a golly as a kid, and I did feel a little uneasy when I first saw real Indians on that day. Oddly, I never had that feeling whenever i saw bears at the zoo - perhaps my teddy did help, in a round about way.
You might need to see a doctor about your hair and eye problem !

fodenway:

Franglais:

fodenway:

Sploom:

What I meant,(and I’m referring back to the late fifties/early sixties) is that kids who’d never seen a coloured person might not look upon them a ‘strange’ or ‘alien’, or even scary if they’d got a cuddly toy golly that they probably loved and found comfort with. It could get them used to the idea of people with different coloured skin to their own. I remember going on a car trip to the Yorkshire Dales when I was about six (around 1959). My uncle told us that as we went through Bradford, we might see Indians. We, in our childish innocence, were looking out for bows and arrows and feathered head dress - we had seen that sort of “indians” on telly, but had never seen any of the Asian type. I didn’t have a golly as a kid, and I did feel a little uneasy when I first saw real Indians on that day. Oddly, I never had that feeling whenever i saw bears at the zoo - perhaps my teddy did help, in a round about way.
You might need to see a doctor about your hair and eye problem !

I was exaggerating a bit with the hair. I havent enough to noticeably stand up. :smiley: I too remember gollies as a kid, and make no apologies for past times. But we are where we are today, and I dont think they should have any place in public

Quote Franglais :
“But we are where we are today, and I don`t think they should have any place in public”

I think we should be left to make our own minds up about what we find offensive. It really gets up my nose when others take it upon themselves to be offended on my behalf, without asking my opinion first. I’m old enough to know what I like and don’t like, and to steer clear of the latter if it offends me that much. On the other hand, if we are never allowed to see certain things, or hear certain words, or read about particular events, how are we ever going to be able to have any opinion on them?.
Who decided that “coloured people” is offensive, and “people of colour” is acceptable?
We should not be trying to unwrite history - it happened, for good or bad, so learn from it.

^^^^^^^^;+1

There was talk of not putting a Nativity tableau in our city at Christmas …‘‘in case it offended the Muslim community’’.
The old guy in my Indian restaurant who could be considered a ‘Muslim elder’ sends Christmas cards to his customers including me.
As you say offended on behalf of or offence by proxy. :unamused:
All ■■■■■■■■ imo, part of growing up is being offended anyway,.some take it better than others…just like on this forum. :laughing: :laughing:

fodenway:
Quote Franglais :
“But we are where we are today, and I don`t think they should have any place in public”

I think we should be left to make our own minds up about what we find offensive. It really gets up my nose when others take it upon themselves to be offended on my behalf, without asking my opinion first. I’m old enough to know what I like and don’t like, and to steer clear of the latter if it offends me that much. On the other hand, if we are never allowed to see certain things, or hear certain words, or read about particular events, how are we ever going to be able to have any opinion on them?.
Who decided that “coloured people” is offensive, and “people of colour” is acceptable?
We should not be trying to unwrite history - it happened, for good or bad, so learn from it.

As I understand it this pub was asked to take down their golly dolls when a complaint was made? (In 2018, so the cops didnt exactly rush around there on bluesntwos, bur there does seem a lot of them there) If a complaint was made then it isnt being offended by proxy is it? I dont feel offended, but then again, Im not black, brown, of colour, so what can I comment?
I agree with you it is not for me to offended on someone elses behalf [u]equally[/u] I cant say “it`s not important, get over it”, can I?

The law we have, as I see it, says that in public places there should be nothing offensive. It doesnt say put up offensive stuff, and if anyone is offended it is their fault. It doesnt say that offensive stuff is OK if you put up warning signs.

Looks to me like this pub is being offensive to some.
If you and I aren`t the ones being offended, then does that mean no-one can possibly be offended?

Is there any blocking of free comment by banning gollies? Is there some conflicting right to have one?
I can`t see it, but will look if you point one out.

We arent rewriting history, we are hopefully learning from the past. We dont deny that kids were sent up chimneys years ago, but we don`t allow it today.

Just because something happened in the past is no reason for it to happen tomorrow.
If something good happened in the past, then keep it going, sure, but I dont see owt good today, to do with gollies. You cant really say that today no kids are unaware of different looking people in the world can you? No need for crude dollies is there?

all my now grown up kid’s toy’s are in the loft/attic,including a much loved golly.perhaps i should send my grandson up the chimney to retrieve the offending toy :unamused:
a good friend who is an o/d in a local quarry,was ordered to take his offensive golly out of his artic’s side window,that had been there for years. for the record,Leigh is a black guy.